What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use shredded cabbage as a filler in my stir fries. Then you don't feel like you need rice or noodles with it.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    BUMP...I love cabbage!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I go camping I take some raw cabbage, a little bit of butter, top it with a little salt, some pepper and garlic and onions. Wrap it up in foil and cook it over the fire. For a kitchen translation you could use evvo instead of butter (or whatever sub you want) and you can lightly pan fry it with those ingredients or bake it. I just make it up as I go, but I think the garlic is the key ingredient.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday. Used the Johnsonville Italian Sausages. SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO Goood!!! And it was easy to make :) Thanks for the recipe!
  • grayisokay
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahipp
    Options
    We are also get our weekly farmer's basket which has included lots of cabbage. I have become a huge fan of soups this winter. Check out this great recipe - there are many others you can try on the internet but we just made this last night and it was yummy! We used my father's vension italian sausage which is supposed to have less fat. You could also use turkey sausage. Happy cooking!
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/italian_sausage_and_cabbage_stew/

Sara
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I sautee it. As a side dish, chopped into narrow strips and combine with onions and carrots, sautee for a few minutes to wilt id, then add a little soy sauce, sriratcha or red pepper flakes, sherry wine and then a drizzle of sesame oil at the end.

Sometimes I'll do a main dish like above, but sautee some pork loin strips first and then add the veggies.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cabbage! I found this great recipe on Skinnytaste.com called Stuffed Cabbage casserole...SO good and healthy too!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html
  • wanttogohome
    Options
    i put 2T olivie oil in a large fry pan and cut up 1/2 a head of cabbage 1 med onion 1 yellow & red bell pepper (remove seeds) and saute it over med/high until tender but still has a little crunch season with sea salt and enjoy i eat it all week for lunch or dinner :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    We put ours in a pot of hot water and add salt, pepper, garlic powder, chicken stock and light red kidney beans.

Bring it to a boil. I like to add hamburger for my husband and kids, but I'm fine without it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You could make Stuffed Cabbage Leaves, or Haluski (but not the Guy Ferri one), or Atakilt wat.

http://iwaruna.com/2010/06/30/atakilt-wat-ethiopian-cabbage-carrot-potato-stew/ <---- Atakilt wat
  • kmctractor
    Options
    Slice it into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a little EVOO and some bacon bits. Wrap it up in some foil and bake it until it's nice and soft. yummy!
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Boiled it in bacon water. Nicest cabbage ever.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cabbage sauteed with smoked sausages is really good, I made it for lunch and added some honey mustard, also, like many have said, cabbage rolls! Mmm!
  • kmctractor
    Options
    I cooked some tonight: I just put water in a frying pan. Next, I chopped up the cabbage a little and cooked it in the water on medium-high, stirring it all up every couple of minutes. I actually let it 'almost' burn in there, browning it a little. I added a little salt and pepper. Later, I thought I should have added onion, but it still tasted awesome! I just served it as a side dish. Otherwise, I know there is a easy recipe where you brown hamburger, put it in a 9x13 pan, chop up the cabbage (more fine) and put on top, and then add tomato sauce or soup. But I'm not sure on the exact recipe for that. Good luck!
  • kmctractor
    Options
    I will try this..cabbage and hamburger meat and tomato sauce..layered in a 9x12 dish and baked. Thank's
  • kmctractor
    Options
    This sounds sooooooooo Good!!
  • pafagel
    pafagel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Make pizza salad. Whenever you buy pizza here in Sweden, you always get this salad, even if you order in. Can be eaten without the pizza=)

Shred the cabbage as finely as you can into thin slices, blanch it for 1 min, drain it and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Put it in a bowl, drizzle over a tiny bit of olive oil, some vinegar, add salt and pepper and eat.