have anyone used the menstrual cup

Options

Replies

• nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Did you miss the part where she eventually DID get it in? Assuming she was inserting into the right place every time... then yes, it was being inserted in the right area and was STILL somehow popping out. Just because it works perfectly for you doesn't mean everyone is going to have such an easy time.

I must respectfully disagree. I did not say that it is easy to insert, there definitely is a learning curve for insertion and removal. I think that she *thought* that she initially had it in the right place but it is very unlikely that menstrual cups, tampons, babies, etc would just "fall out" of one's vagina, unless she was doing some serious pushing. Once it's in there, it's pretty much in there. Unless, it isn't.

I will refer back to the oft quoted post by turtlehurdle about just how "in there" it can get.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I ordered two samples of a disposable variety of a cup. My fiance is more skeeved by the cup than by tampons. Baffles me. Oh well....
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a menstrual cup, I had to google what it was.. After reading the description and seeing pictures of it, it looks very painful!
    Not at all. It's fleixble, and smaller than any "toy" or man that would be inserted.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Confession number 1: This thread has peaked my interest while it's been going and has encouraged me to try one.
    Confession number 2: I don't think I will ever go back to tampons and pads :-P

Speaking as someone who has always had a lot of issues with their period - and who now lives with their inlaws - , it is my favorite new method of "cleaning up". I've had heavy heavy periods (super plus tampon WITH a regular pad), and been so uncomfortable all the time. Plus living with them, it's a self conscious sort of issue as well. With the DivaCup, I haven't had any issues, haven't needed a pad or anything, and feel a lot cleaner. Definitely takes some getting used to, for sure, and some maneuvering at first, but I love it now. I am glad I gave it a shot!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I ordered two samples of a disposable variety of a cup. My fiance is more skeeved by the cup than by tampons. Baffles me. Oh well....

By the way....I can totally sympathize with this. I do not understand it. The husband didn't even want to see the box :-P
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Warning.. TMI ahead.

Yesterday was my heaviest day of my period. I went through 3 tampons and 3 pads (at the same time), in a matter of about 4 hours.
    During that time, I was thinking, How in the world would a cup hold all of that for hours and hours? It just doesn't seem humanly possible to me, unless the cup was a size of a baseball.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    can you sleep in it

yes you can, you can keep one in for 8 hr so make sure its a fresh one before you go to bed.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Warning.. TMI ahead.

Yesterday was my heaviest day of my period. I went through 3 tampons and 3 pads (at the same time), in a matter of about 4 hours.
    During that time, I was thinking, How in the world would a cup hold all of that for hours and hours? It just doesn't seem humanly possible to me, unless the cup was a size of a baseball.

It would hold it. You'd be surprised how little is actually on those tampons and pads.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love it, doesn't hurt and it doesn't smell.
    As far as being gross grow up, your vagina isn't gross and your blood isn't gross, its apart of life and I am sure you have gotten blood on your self form your time of the month one time or another.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    "So one of the many new devices I purchased for this trip was a Diva "Moon Cup". Since feminine hygine supplies would be hard to come by and waste-producing, I opted instead to buy a thing like a Barbie Deluxe Toilet Plunger, and stuff it up my hooha.

The theory is that the cup catches your pan drippings, and you empty it a couple times a day, washing it with hippy soap, and reinserting....

wAuwF.gif

I have a hard time putting a lot of stock into anyone who refers to her vagina as a delicate rose bud or some such nonsense. The cups, while not for everyone, are useful and like all other things, take practice and time. I don't like them, but have many friends who swear by them.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    can you sleep in it

yes you can, you can keep one in for 8 hr so make sure its a fresh one before you go to bed.

You can keep it in for 12 hours actually. Or longer. Not 24 hours though. I don't bleed much so I empty it in the morning and empty it before bed and that's all.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Warning.. TMI ahead.

I can completely relate to your concern about this issue. As someone who considered herself a heavy bleeder, especially for the first 2 days, the cup has eliminated my need for the super tampon-overnight pad combo. I just empty the cup a little more often on the first day and have no issues at all. It has eliminated all accidents and perhaps this is more age-related than cup-related but I find that my periods are lighter and shorter than before.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've used one off and on -- the Diva Cup, for the record. I think I need the smaller size, because sometimes I have a hard time inserting it. It's not uncomfortable once it's in there, and it's less gross than disposable pads. I just sometimes cannot insert it -- the fact that I have massively strong pelvic floor muscles doesn't help :).

I highly recommend it. You just may have to play around to find the right cup for you -- there are so many different styles out there, so if one doesn't work for you, try again. There are some menstrual cup communities online -- LiveJournal alone has several -- so they might be good support for you. If you're not sure how you'll feel about inserting/removing, buy a pack of the Instead disposable cups at the pharmacy. They are a little different than the Diva or the Keeper, but it will give you a good sense of how you'll feel about the process without having to shell out for a reusable cup.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    From the Diva Cup website:

The DivaCup is worn low at the base of the vagina and away from the cervix. This means that it should not interfere with an internal birth control device. However, please use caution when using any internal feminine hygiene product with an IUD as there is the possibility that they can be dislodged. When using The DivaCup, it is important to carefully follow the directions in our User Guide, paying close attention to inserting The DivaCup low in the vaginal canal and breaking the seal (suction) before removal. Many of our customers use The DivaCup with an IUD or NuvaRing® simultaneously, but we recommend that you become familiar with your birth control device’s risks (such as the body expelling the IUD, etc.).

My girlfriend's IUD definitely became dislodged and she wound up pregnant. All I was saying is that it is her opinion that she screwed up somehow with her Diva Cup (she was a new/inexperienced menstrual cup user) and her IUD became dislodged. Apparently, it is possible.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Warning.. TMI ahead.

I can completely relate to your concern about this issue. As someone who considered herself a heavy bleeder, especially for the first 2 days, the cup has eliminated my need for the super tampon-overnight pad combo. I just empty the cup a little more often on the first day and have no issues at all. It has eliminated all accidents and perhaps this is more age-related than cup-related but I find that my periods are lighter and shorter than before.

Well think of it like this, the cup holds the blood, the pads and tampons only soak it up and spread it around.
    I bet if it was possible to squeeze out the blood of a pad or tampon into a cup, it wouldnt even completely fill it. Those things absorb and saturate vs hold. Women dont bleed as much as pads make it look like, even on heavy days. Youd be surprised to see how little you actually bleed using the cup.

And about your period being lighter -- tampons and pads have all sorts of chemicals on them that can upset cycles ... so maybe its cup related.

I went from changing tampons every 4 hours to changing my cup twice a day.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ........ It has eliminated all accidents and perhaps this is more age-related than cup-related but I find that my periods are lighter and shorter than before.

Actually I've heard a lot of people say their periods became lighter and shorter when they started using a cup (plus had less cramping)
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Warning.. TMI ahead.

Well think of it like this, the cup holds the blood, the pads and tampons only soak it up and spread it around.
    I bet if it was possible to squeeze out the blood of a pad or tampon into a cup, it wouldnt even completely fill it. Those things absorb and saturate vs hold. Women dont bleed as much as pads make it look like, even on heavy days. Youd be surprised to see how little you actually bleed using the cup.

And about your period being lighter -- tampons and pads have all sorts of chemicals on them that can upset cycles ... so maybe its cup related.

I went from changing tampons every 4 hours to changing my cup twice a day.

^ This. I bought one for a vacation I was taking to Florida and have been using it ever since (3+ years). I brought it on my vacation to Europe and always have it in my purse in a little carrying bag. It has been so convenient. Definitely took some getting used to. I would consider myself heavy during days 2-3 as well (changing super tampons every 1.5-2 hours) but like other posters have said, the cup is twice a day. At first I did it 3 times a day until I was comfortable with leaving it for longer. Its a life changer.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    OMG - can you make sure to put it away before company comes !!!!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    OMG - can you make sure to put it away before company comes !!!!

It.. sits in a bag, tucked away when un-used?? Or would you rather see a used tampon in the trash