Why are people so mean?!

Options

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's a social site - everyone has their own opinions and are more than happy to share them (good and/or bad) in their own way ~ that's human nature and should be expected. If you don't like it you shouldn't join any kind of social media site.
  • habundis
    habundis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, I agree with you. I've used the MFP mobile app for quite a while, and it's only just recently that I came to the site and saw the boards. I was shocked at the lack of encouragement, the pettiness and the competition. It's not at all what I expected. So I've pretty much decided to keep out of it and use MFP as I had before...to set my own goals, track my own progress, and take care of ME.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There are some legit arguments here. But a lot of what you're seeing is just back and forth between friends.

A lot more of what you see is people trying to keep misinformation from going unchecked in the forums. If they just ignore a thread full of incorrect info then it's as good as saying that info is correct.

Often when someone is disputing incorrect info, they aren't just or even primarily doing it for the OP's benefit. It's for the people lurking who may not realize that a source isn't reliable, or that a practice isn't healthy.

Don't you think it's worth a little arguing to make sure that you're getting correct information?

:heart:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

:laugh:

Wait for the sh1t storm mate!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, wait. You guys really mean this.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

Shut up you limey *kitten*! We kicked your *kitten* in dubya-dubya two, and we'll kick it again whenever we want!

'murica!

I think you have seen too many movies....

I also think its funny that the term "we" was used.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    No, I agree with you. I've used the MFP mobile app for quite a while, and it's only just recently that I came to the site and saw the boards. I was shocked at the lack of encouragement, the pettiness and the competition. It's not at all what I expected. So I've pretty much decided to keep out of it and use MFP as I had before...to set my own goals, track my own progress, and take care of ME.

Agreed!!!!
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Why are people so hypersensitive?

Because it is so much easier to make you responsible for my hurt feelings than it is to address my issues and baggage that cause me to feel bad about myself.

I have immense respect for you.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I always like to half-read these threads and look at the post counts of people that think that everyone here is mean, vs. the posts of people that are like "eh..."

And just so we're all clear, "bullying" on MFP = disagreeing and/or fact checking someone, even if it is based on your own personal experience.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    People are ignorant, know-it-all pricks :)
  • CoachJameyJ
    Options

Shut up you limey *kitten*! We kicked your *kitten* in dubya-dubya two, and we'll kick it again whenever we want!

'murica!

Hahahaaa!! you think I'm British?? Figures.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Oh look Don Quixote, it's another windmill!!!!!!!
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When the site was first started, the founders wanted it to be called Mean Fat People.

Marketing thought this was a bad idea, but, thanks to a dedicated group of hired trolls, the original essence lives on.

LOL
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

'murica!

I think you have seen too many movies....

I also think its funny that the term "we" was used.

It tickles many :smile:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ8Yiv6TA6qzrrzl5FOvCzHN05NaN9DHaouzTg-crzQYawe48_sg

Unicorn not included in kit. Cat-gun may require additional purchase.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    The abilities to correct misinformation, disagree, and debate…. do not preclude the abilities to be respectful, compassionate, or kind. That’s a choice people make – or choose not to make.

And to answer an earlier question of why I think ignore doesn’t work well in the forums: using the ignore feature technically works to exclude that poster, but you will likely still see those comments quoted by others or be unable to understand other responses because they are referencing something you ignored. Just because someone says something mean doesn’t necessarily mean they have nothing of value to add.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you as well. I have no right to judge someone's choices and vice versa. However, if I ask a question, I better be ready for the responses and if I am asked a question, I will be totally honest, but I WILL NOT BE MEAN. I am here to support people and to receive support as well. No one can beat me up any worse than I do myself when I don't make the best choices.

People should follow the rule "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." They use the internet as an excuse to be mean and bully people. Seems some people get off on that. It is not right, and I won't let it happen to me. If people stand up for themselves, maybe we can weed out the mean ones!
  • Csoldano
    Csoldano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    http://blog.wisefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/GreaterInternet****wadTheory_thumb.jpg

pretty much that. This is from when online gaming was becoming bigger, now with the twitter generation it's 10 times worse.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you as well. I have no right to judge someone's choices and vice versa. However, if I ask a question, I better be ready for the responses and if I am asked a question, I will be totally honest, but I WILL NOT BE MEAN. I am here to support people and to receive support as well. No one can beat me up any worse than I do myself when I don't make the best choices.

People should follow the rule "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." They use the internet as an excuse to be mean and bully people. Seems some people get off on that. It is not right, and I won't let it happen to me.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    To be honest, I think people just get bored and talk ****. That or they are having a bad day and take it out on whoever is in their path. Sucks when you're in the path but hey, we're human and all of us are ****s sometimes. It happens. Its rude,but I can't say I haven't done it before.