Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options

Replies

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

I am a former smoker. Been smoke free for 2 months now...and believe me the hardest thing is breaking an additiction. Especially to a drug, which in her case is caffine. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Her family could have stepped in all they wanted, but until you make the decision to quit it won't work. Same concept is used with us here. We WANT to get healthy. In order of this to work you have to want it, 100%.

I understand that it's hard to break an addiction, and that you can be addicted to anything. However, if it was actually caffeine that she was addicted to, then coffee, tea, and any other drink that has caffeine in it could have been used as a weaning source off of coke. If she was so addicted that she had withdrawals because of it, it was obviously affecting her in a bad way.
    I just still have no sympathy for a woman who essentially killed herself. And I think its stupid as hell that she did it, and that her family continued to allow her to have coke in the house.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

This!
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how someone can be addicted to soda like this. If soda was this powerful there would be soda rehab centers. I kind of don’t buy it.

Anything can become an addiction, including food. People who are so morbidly obese that they are bedridden are clearly addicted, and I don't really see any food rehab centers.
  • So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

I am a former smoker. Been smoke free for 2 months now...and believe me the hardest thing is breaking an additiction. Especially to a drug, which in her case is caffine. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Her family could have stepped in all they wanted, but until you make the decision to quit it won't work. Same concept is used with us here. We WANT to get healthy. In order of this to work you have to want it, 100%.

I understand that it's hard to break an addiction, and that you can be addicted to anything. However, if it was actually caffeine that she was addicted to, then coffee, tea, and any other drink that has caffeine in it could have been used as a weaning source off of coke. If she was so addicted that she had withdrawals because of it, it was obviously affecting her in a bad way.
    I just still have no sympathy for a woman who essentially killed herself. And I think its stupid as hell that she did it, and that her family continued to allow her to have coke in the house.

As an adult she didn't need permisson to keep coke in her house.
    Saying her family should have stepped in or stopped her is just wrong. Nothing her family did would have helped her unless she wanted to help herself. They could have dragged her to a million doctors, they could have tipped out the coke every day, they could have got counseling/psychology for her addictions. They could have yelled and screamed until the cows came home, they could have begged and pleaded. None of it would have made a difference.

I know because I have tried all of them to try to get my husband over his alcohol, gambling and smoking and in 5 years not once have I managed to make a difference, not even leaving made a difference. The person with an addiction needs to want to change before change can happen.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Fow news? Is that a valid news source still?

Has is EVER been a valid source?
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It's a true story, unfortunately. I was living in the same city in NZ as her when she died and it was reported in all the papers and the stuff news website throughout NZ. It's appeared on all your US websites now that the court case is over. I feel bad for her. It's a very cold southern city to live in, and I bet she was depressed and stuck at home with the kids and that's why she had such a bad caffeine addiction. The only thing I don't understand is how she could have possibly managed to drink 10litres a day. That's an awful lot... the most I've ever managed to get through in a day is one of those 2.25Ltr bottles, and that made me feel pretty ill and unable to drink any more!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Another one? I remember this was a story a few months ago.

One can/bottle of coke a day isn't the same as 10L

She died in Feb 2010, you're right, old news.

It's just come up again because the Coroner finally made a determination on the death.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Another thing - I believe the coke recipe in NZ is a bit different from what you have in the US. This is because NZ coke is manufactured nearer in Auckland, NZ or imported from Australia and they change the recipe slightly for different regions depending on local tastes and ingredients - NZ coke is made with cane sugar - yours is made with beet sugar, so is more surupy? There are more lax limits on the amount of caffeine that can be added to soda drinks in NZ than in the US (the last I heard at least - and she died back in 2010 anyway), so all the soda drinks here are a tad more addictive than elsewhere. Just saying.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I remember watching this show called Freaky Eaters. This 24 yr old woman was addicted to soda, she drank upwards of...I think 32 cans of soda a day. They tried to help her but she was in complete denial and continued her habit. So, sounds like she's in the same boat.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    10 L of coke a day is RIDICULOUS. Poor lady. :(
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Freaky Eaters is an awesome show!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    From what I remember reading from the article about this story on the BBC website the coroner said something along the lines of:
    Were it not for the very large consumption of cola it is unlikely she would have died when and how she did.
    However the coroner couldn't state 100% that the cola caused her heart attack.
    If she smoked 30 cigarettes per day, didn't eat very well and drank 10litres of coke it's no wonder she had a heart attack just because of the strain her body was under - she must have had nearly every deficiency going!

It is a shame but it's not going to stop me drinking cola. Just like eating McDonalds or pizza are linked to obesity I'm not going to stop eating them. It's all about moderation which obviously this woman wasn't able to command.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible for the woman, but worse for her children. The fact that they were born with issues because of her addiction really bothers me.

Me too. Do what you want to yourself, but if you're f*cking up your own child's future, and NOT BY THEIR CHOICE...YOUR SELFISH CHOICES...makes me want to flip some smart cars.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.

my cousin was born with 4 teeth, unusual, yes, but it does happen.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    would be a darwin award candidate, but it happened before she procreated.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You can die from drinking too much WATER in one day.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm

Likely the soda itself had nothing to do with it and was more the fluid intake that did her in.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: If you do stupid things, you might very well die. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people know that if you consume way too much of something, be it food, drink, alcohol, medicine, whatever, there's a possibility it won't end well.

Not everyone is blessed with common sense. This is why shampoo bottles have the warning "not to be taken internally".

:laugh:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.
    Exactly
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Those poor poor kids :(
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    She died from Hypokalemia, or severe Potassium deficiency. In her case it was caused be excess Potassium loss from the body rather than a dietary deficiency. It is believed that in these instances the Potassium loss is caused by the diuretic effect of caffeine, and high intake of fluids, although diarrhea (as her partner mentioned), caused by heavy fructose intake, is also believed to be a contributing factor.

So basically, nothing here points to colas per se, as being unhealthy. The same could have happened from too much coffee, or even too much water for that matter. This was more of a dependency issue than a dietary issue.