Why do you drink almond milk?

Options

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I drink it because it lasts longer than cow's milk. I travel a lot for work and got sick of throwing out spoiled milk so I made the switch.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    cruelty-free and delicious :smile:

Ok really?

Which is more cruel: milking a cow or crushing an almond? One survives the procedure, and it's not the almond.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    I drink almond milk( unsweetened kind), because an 8 oz glass has only 35 calories and has more calcium than milk. I do like the chocolate almond mlk as an occasional treat!
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I made the switch for a couple of reasons. A friend of mine as well as my sister have been unable to tolerate dairy of any kind for about a year now, and my sister has been pretty bummed that she's so isolated in her food choices at family dinners and stuff. I figured this is a show of solidarity, especially if I can find some recipes that she can eat along with everyone else in my new cookbooks. Since the cookbooks are vegetarian/vegan I think there's a good chance; a lot of the recipes call for non-dairy milk of some kind. I also like that it's so much lower in calories and has the health benefits as outlined above.
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    - It is delicious
    - It goes better with my protein powder (extreme chocolate)
    - It has fewer calories than skim milk
    - It keeps longer than cow's milk...I would regularly throw out half the carton because I just don't drink it fast enough!
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    because I think squeezing a animals nipples for food is just wrong
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I hate the taste of regular milk, always have always will.
  • jimed43
    jimed43 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So if you take

1 cup Silk Almond Dark Choc
    .5 cup Silk Almond Vanilla Unsweet
    .5 Cup Ice
    2 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter, you get a awesome smoohie for about 325 calories
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Ok really?

Which is more cruel: milking a cow or crushing an almond? One survives the procedure, and it's not the almond.

If I was a cow I'd like to be milked.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Ok really?

Ok, I'll admit it. I just snorted. +1
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Ok really?

If I was a cow I'd like to be milked.

I'm a cow, and I LOVE being milked.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Milk makes me phlegmy and coats my throat in a nasty way. I avoid anything soy like the plague since it and I don't get along. Almond milk on the other hand is amazing and delicious. I love it. I tried coconut milk and it wasn't my cup of tea. I could drink it occasionally maybe, but almond milk is better I think and not as overpowering in its taste.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love milk but it doesn't love me. I also love the taste of Almond Milk and with only 40 calories I can have a full cup without feeling bad about it. :happy:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I made the switch for a couple of reasons. A friend of mine as well as my sister have been unable to tolerate dairy of any kind for about a year now, and my sister has been pretty bummed that she's so isolated in her food choices at family dinners and stuff. I figured this is a show of solidarity, especially if I can find some recipes that she can eat along with everyone else in my new cookbooks. Since the cookbooks are vegetarian/vegan I think there's a good chance; a lot of the recipes call for non-dairy milk of some kind. I also like that it's so much lower in calories and has the health benefits as outlined above.
    Almond milk works great as a sub for milk in pumpkin pie.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not a big milk fan. To me milk is only good for adding to coffee & the occasional bowl of cereal. IMO almond milk is healthier & can do the same for me as well as cow milk. I'm also trying to transition from vegetarian to vegan.

Sometimes I drink a cup of Silk unsweetend vanilla almondmilk in the morning. Only 30 calories. It also adds a nice flavor to my coffee.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is anyone drinking the almond milk for the heart healthy benefit (does it have the same heart benefit as the nut?) or is it the nutritional values and non dairy that attracts?

I just tried it today for the first time. I have the Silk Pure Almond Vanilla. I am told this is FABULOUS in cereal (in place of regular milk of course) so I am definitely going to try that. I drank it by itself with lunch today and it was GREAT.

I chose to try it hoping to find a suitable low calorie low fat alterative to regular skim milk. I do not like any kind of milk at all, never have. This is a great sub AND it contains more calcium than regular milk. I do not get enough calcium at all, so I needed to find something other than milk. Whatever calcium I do get comes from veggies and the little amounts of cheese I have, and that's all, so yes, BIG PLUS on the almond milk for me!!
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just drink it mostly because I'm lactose intolerant. I used to drink skim milk. On the plus side though, almond milk has less calories and sugar.
  • mcrubino
    Options
    I personally drink unsweetened almond milk because i have dietary restraints that keep me from eating much dairy. I have tried coconut milk and soy milk but I really enjoy the flavor of almond milk better and it tastes wonderful in cereal or mixed with my protein powder.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    It tastes good!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I use it and greek yogurt in my milk shakes.. its yummy