Bacon (to eat or not to eat)

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    1.Pork is very fattening. Pork is one of the fattiest meats that you can consume. Eating pork continually will pack on the pounds much faster as compared with eating other lean meats like chicken and turkey. If you like bacon you're better off switching to turkey bacon as it is a healthier alternative.
    If this were entirely true then people from DENMARK should be huge since they consume more pork than any other country. More than double the USA.
    And I'll say it again: TURKEY BACON AIN'T BACON.
    2. Pigs are smarter then dogs. They have emotions and feel pain just like humans.
    Dogs don't make good bacon.
    3. Pig skin is very similar in composition to human skin. It is said that pork even tastes like human flesh because of their similar biology. Back in the Middle Ages there was a time with autopsies on humans were not allowed. Medical students had to use pigs to practice on. This was done because the anatomy of a pig also has many other similarities to humans.
    What does this have to do with eating bacon?
    4. Toxins. A pig's body contains many toxins because they are bottom dwellers meaning they eat food which is devoid of nutrition (pig slop). They eat the left over junk and some pigs eat their own feces. These animals store massive amounts of toxins in their fat, which is then passed on to you if you eat it.
    Where's the clinical evidence to support this hogwash?
    5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.
    Good thing hydrochloric acid takes care of this.
    6. Influenza. Pigs carry a mutated influenza virus in their lungs which has been passed on to humans through consumption.
    Lol, you have a much, much, much higher chance of catching the flu from a person than from eating pig.:laugh:
    7. One of the biggest concerns with eating pork meat is trichinellosis or trichinosis. This is an infection that humans get from eating undercooked or uncooked pork that contains the larvae of the trichinella worm.
    Easily fixed by cooking your pork.:laugh:
    This worm parasite is very commonly found in pork. When the worm, most often living in cysts in the stomach, opens through stomach acids, its larvae are released into the body of the pig. These new worms make their homes in the muscles of the pig. Next stop? The unknowing human body who consumes this infected meat flesh. And while no one particularly wants to consume worms, trichinellosis is a serious illness that you should do virtually anything to avoid.
    Based on how many actual cases there are a year in the US, this isn't really a concern. If it is, then either make sure pork is thoroughly cooked or freeze pork at subzero temperature for 3 or 4 days to kill them. Really scare mongering is usually a tactic used by vegans. So I'm assuming you are a vegan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:flowerforyou:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    1.Pork is very fattening. Pork is one of the fattiest meats that you can consume. Eating pork continually will pack on the pounds much faster as compared with eating other lean meats like chicken and turkey. If you like bacon you're better off switching to turkey bacon as it is a healthier alternative.
    If this were entirely true then people from DENMARK should be huge since they consume more pork than any other country. More than double the USA.
    2. Pigs are smarter then dogs. They have emotions and feel pain just like humans.
    3. Pig skin is very similar in composition to human skin. It is said that pork even tastes like human flesh because of their similar biology. Back in the Middle Ages there was a time with autopsies on humans were not allowed. Medical students had to use pigs to practice on. This was done because the anatomy of a pig also has many other similarities to humans.
    4. Toxins. A pig's body contains many toxins because they are bottom dwellers meaning they eat food which is devoid of nutrition (pig slop). They eat the left over junk and some pigs eat their own feces. These animals store massive amounts of toxins in their fat, which is then passed on to you if you eat it.
    5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.
    6. Influenza. Pigs carry a mutated influenza virus in their lungs which has been passed on to humans through consumption.
    Lol, you have a much, much, much higher chance of catching the flu from a person than from eating pig.:laugh:
    7. One of the biggest concerns with eating pork meat is trichinellosis or trichinosis. This is an infection that humans get from eating undercooked or uncooked pork that contains the larvae of the trichinella worm.
    This worm parasite is very commonly found in pork. When the worm, most often living in cysts in the stomach, opens through stomach acids, its larvae are released into the body of the pig. These new worms make their homes in the muscles of the pig. Next stop? The unknowing human body who consumes this infected meat flesh. And while no one particularly wants to consume worms, trichinellosis is a serious illness that you should do virtually anything to avoid.
    Based on how many actual cases there are a year in the US, this isn't really a concern. If it is, then either make sure pork is thoroughly cooked or freeze pork at subzero temperature for 3 or 4 days to kill them. Really scare mongering is usually a tactic used by vegans. So I'm assuming you are a vegan.

IDEA Fitness member

Props for use of the word "hogwash"

Team Bacon!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eat Bacon

Kevin-Bacon.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You, Sir, win the thread.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    must have bacon!!!!!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ninerbuff for being the voice of reason (not to mention good humour). There were a couple of facts you neglected to mention:

Some cuts of pork, like side bacon or pork belly are pretty fatty, but other cuts, like loin and leg (trimmed) and tenderloin have fat content comparable to skinless chicken. North American pork producers are raising leaner animals - using grain feed, not garbage or "slop" - to meet the demands of the current market for leaner product.

People worried about trichonosis are living in the past. The parasite had been eradicated in the Canadian pork supply, and I suspect that the US supply is in the same boat. Hogs raised for food markets are no dirtier than other animals - yes, they like mud - it helps protect their skin, but they are quite fastidious about elimination, choosing to use only one area of their enclosures for the purpose.

Now back to the OP's original subject. A healthy diet can accomodate a bit of bacon now and again. Just remember the fat and salt and keep it in moderation. And of course, fit it in with your calorie goal.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a bacon sandwich every saturday. I love it. I sleep in, then make my bacon sarnie with a cup of tea & chill out for a while. So good. I love bacon.

Anyone try chocolate coated bacon? I haven't but am intrigued by it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Eating the bacon is ALWAYS the answer. :tongue:
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I have a bacon sandwich every saturday. I love it. I sleep in, then make my bacon sarnie with a cup of tea & chill out for a while. So good. I love bacon.

Bacon cooked crispy then covered in good bittersweet dark chocolate is AMAZING.

I also recently made choc chip and bacon cookies, which were delicious.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yep. Absolutely delicious! Which reminds me - I'm going to a music festival this weekend and need to get my 'fix' of chocolate-covered bacon from the food vendors before they sell out. It's usually one of the first things they run out of.
  • princess3479
    princess3479 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    personally i don't eat bacon i hate the taste of it but i don't see why you could not eat it if eaten in moderation! eating bacon everyday may not be good for you but eating bacon in moderation is ok. but if it fits in your macros then by all means eat it.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I didn't know pork was red meat! I have so much to learn about eating healthy.

WOW!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE A LOT TO LEARN!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question???
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't know pork was red meat! I have so much to learn about eating healthy.

Pork is not red meat, pork tenderloin has less fat than a steak and just as much protein. It is very tender and tasty and so much cheaper than beef. If you stick with lean cuts, that includes center cut bacon, you should include it in you meals in moderation. Remember, you have embraced a new lifestyle therefore you want a plan you can follow the rest of your life. Anything you deprive yourself of, eventually sets you up for binging. My weakness is wine and cheese, never gave those up and lost 64lbs.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat it if you like it

trim the fat/rind before you cook it as this reduces the fat content of the remaining meat

count the calories and move on......I love it once a week with a poached egg, toast and griddled mushrooms

why not!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pieces of bacon every Sunday morning. It's my treat and I budget for it. Life without bacon just isn't worth living!

^^^^^^^ This!!!! :heart:

Seriously, though - a slice or three of bacon, a couple of times a week isn't going to hurt you - you just have to budget for it.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

True.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

[/b]

I completely just laughed so hard I spit out my coffee!

Eat bacon.
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    EAT IT.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    eat bacon