Can't Build Muscle while at a Deficit - Revisited

Options
Instead of hijacking another thread, I just decided to start a new one. The conventional wisdom around here is that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit. I work out 6 times per week - normally three cardio sessions and three weightlifting sessions. I keep a log of my workouts. I was doing a workout last night at a weight that was 50% more than when I started 8 months ago. There was no way I could have lifted the amount of weight I did last night when I started or I would have had to make an appointment with my chiropractor. This leads me to believe I am getting stronger - hence building muscle.

I have been eating at a deficit the whole 8 months and lost a little over 30 pounds. So, did I just strenthen the muscle I have and not built muscle? I truly do not understand what is happening.

Also, my understanding is that when you lift, you get little micro-tears in your muscle. When your body repairs the tears, it builds muscle. So - even when I eat at a deficit, my body has to repair the micro-tears I am creating by doing strength training. So it would seem that muscles would build up. I can accept that it wouldn't be as fast - but my body will repair itself.

If anyone who is responding has a link to a journal or other article on this subject, please share :-) Thanks!

Replies

• squirtgunsablzn
    Options
    Well if your have never lifted previously, you are likely to get whats called newbie gains, depending on how large your deficit was i could see this being possible. Although it typically doesn't last beyond six months
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This leads me to believe I am getting stronger - hence building muscle.

This is the root of your misunderstanding. You can gain strength without building muscle. Gaining strength is based on neuromusular adaptation. An oversimplification is; you are recruiting existng muscle fibers and training your neuromuscular system to lift more weight. Thus get stronger. There is only a slight relationship with getting stronger and building muscle. At some point you would max out and not be able to get stronger without building more muscle tissue. (hypertrophy)

Building muscle is hypertrophy. You can do this and not nessesarily get stronger. (though you likely will slightly) This is an anabolic process, thus it requires a calorie surplus. When you are in calorie deficit, you are essentially in a catabolic state. Your body can perform anabolic functions in a catabolic state.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can definitely gain strength without building new muscle mass. Basically your body just learns to do things more efficiently.

And yes, if you are new to lifting you can gain a small amount of muscle while on a deficit.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle strength is DIFFERENT to growing muscle. Newbies can grow muscle while on a deficit but then it quickly stops. You need to be eating at a surplus to grow muscle for the most part. Fact.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to believe that the timing of the meals makes a difference.

If you eat at excess for breakfast and don't work out, the excess is gonna eventually be stored as fat. If you eat at excess around your workout, the excess cals and nutrients will be there to build muscle.*

I have no idea what I'm talking about*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is the root of your misunderstanding. You can gain strength without building muscle. Gaining strength is based on neuromusular adaptation. An oversimplification is; you are recruiting existng muscle fibers and training your neuromuscular system to lift more weight. Thus get stronger. There is only a slight relationship with getting stronger and building muscle. At some point you would max out and not be able to get stronger without building more muscle tissue. (hypertrophy)

Building muscle is hypertrophy. You can do this and not nessesarily get stronger. (though you likely will slightly) This is an anabolic process, thus it requires a calorie surplus. When you are in calorie deficit, you are essentially in a catabolic state. Your body can perform anabolic functions in a catabolic state.

Best explanation ever.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Best explanation ever.

Yep
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @mmapags - Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle strength is DIFFERENT to growing muscle. Newbies can grow muscle while on a deficit but then it quickly stops. You need to be eating at a surplus to grow muscle for the most part. Fact.

I've seen research that supports this. Don;t have it on hand, you'll have to trust me.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Exactly.

This is what people are talking about when they say "newbie gains"
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, this makes sense to me. Just take in the idea of meal timing, intermittent fasting and overeating.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

What do you experienced guys think?

The above poster makes sense too. Just thinking outside the box.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Exactly.

This is what people are talking about when they say "newbie gains"

Dingdingding!

We have a winner
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There is a way to build muscle while on a calorie deficit, although it is next to impossible.
    A popular misconception in fitness and nutrition circles is that it is impossible to build muscle and lose weight -- via a caloric deficit -- simultaneously. While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training.
    Because the human body is designed to sacrifice muscle when losing weight as a survival mechanism, only a certain body type will permit the simultaneous growth of muscle and loss of overall mass. If you're significantly overweight, your body may be able to support increased muscle mass even on a caloric deficit, provided it has less fat to maintain. If you're relatively lean and/or muscular, however, it is much more difficult for your body to increase muscle mass while experiencing a caloric deficit

Protein Requirements

While a caloric deficit implies that you're eating less food overall, it is possible to increase your protein intake during a caloric deficit by adjusting your diet to include more protein-rich foods. To succeed in building muscle and losing weight simultaneously, consume 1.6 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight daily. To meet this goal, you'll likely have to rely heavily on protein sources, such as meat, fish, beans, eggs and tofu. You may also consider a powdered protein supplement.

Training Requirements

To build muscle while losing weight, you'll have to train with a high degree of intensity. Since the body's natural inclination is to sacrifice muscle when losing weight, training is the only way to provide a stimulus that lets your body know that muscle is needed. To maximize this stimulus, focus of heavy, compound exercises, such as the bench press, shoulder press, bent-over row, squat and deadlift. For each exercise, perform three to four sets of eight to 12 repetitions for maximum muscular hypertrophy potential.

Other Lifestyle Requirements

When experiencing a caloric deficit, your body is under stress. This can inhibit muscular synthesis alone, but it becomes particularly significant when combined with other stresses, such as those deriving from the use of alcohol and drugs. These substances can have a negative impact on the production of important muscle-building hormones, such as testosterone. You should avoid them as much as possible.

In Short....be very overweight...eat a ton of protein, train as heavy as possible, and no booze.

References
    •"Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition"; International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Protein and Exercise; B. Campbell, et al.; 2007
    •"Designing Resistance Training Programs"; Steven J. Fleck; 2004
    •"Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research"; Clinical and Experimental Research: Effects of Alcohol on Plasma Testosterone and Luteinizing Hormone Levels; Jack H. Mendelson, M.D., et al.; 2008
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    " The conventional wisdom around here is that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit. "

Hi ya, my take is unconventional and Yep you can build muscle whilst at a deficit. I don't like to do too much cardio, so chose to do heavy weights instead ( until failure on every set now) its a very dedicated type of training as I have to be really focused to achieve this each time. But the gains I have endured in 6 weeks I have even amazed myself! I must admit having the correct food intake and adjusting the macros to bias protein I believe is ultimately what is helping me achieve this..

Not sure if this would apply to everybody but it certainly applys to me... check the 2 photos of me in profile, and have a look at my diary if you wish..

lee
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Best explanation ever.

Yep

Adding to the yep
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    According to the Angry Trainer you can - and I totally agree - I dont have huge muscles - but the work I have done in the gym over the past 2 years has definitely build more muscle than I used to have!!

http://angrytrainerfitness.com/2013/02/atf-classic-can-you-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

And here is Lyle McDonald and Alan Argon on the subject....
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

And here is a discussion thread at Precision Nutrition with some good information - you might have to register (free) to see the discussion ..... http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/showthread.php?t=39595
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    " The conventional wisdom around here is that you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit. "

Hi ya, my take is unconventional and Yep you can build muscle whilst at a deficit. I don't like to do too much cardio, so chose to do heavy weights instead ( until failure on every set now) its a very dedicated type of training as I have to be really focused to achieve this each time. But the gains I have endured in 6 weeks I have even amazed myself! I must admit having the correct food intake and adjusting the macros to bias protein I believe is ultimately what is helping me achieve this..

Not sure if this would apply to everybody but it certainly applys to me... check the 2 photos of me in profile, and have a look at my diary if you wish..

lee

You lost some BF, making your muscles show more...that is different to gaining muscle.
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks energizer, i have plenty of excess fat! well not so much as i did in December and I am quite happy to exchange it for muscle!