People on this site are mean.

Options

Replies

• coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I keep going around the forums and I just notice that if μ look at the average, it's mean. I'm not saying that people can't be helpful or nice or that everyone's bad, but it just seems that average is mean. μ know what I'm saying?

So disappointed with myself. I remember math enough to get the gist of this, but not enough to play along! Dammit :sad:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    A physicist, a biologist and a mathematician are sitting in a street café watching people entering and leaving the house on the other side of the street. First they see two people entering the house. Time passes. After a while they notice three people leaving the house. The physicist says, "The measurement wasn't accurate." The biologist says, "They must have reproduced." The mathematician says, "If one more person enters the house then it will be empty."

Heisenberg picked up Schroedinger and they went out for a drive one day. After a little while, a police car pulled them over. The cop approached the door, and asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?" Heisenberg replied, "No, but I know where I am." The cop thinks this is peculiar and says, "I'm sorry, I need to search the vehicle." He opens the trunk, and examines it. He looks at Schroedinger and asks, "Are you aware that there is a dead cat in there?" Schroedinger replies, "Well, I am now."

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    The distribution here is not normal. Definitely skewed with a lot of nonstandard deviants.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The cumulative relative frequency of high density elements in this thread is taking on a disturbingly upward trend.

I've resisted thsi for a long time, but what are you ready for? Zombies? Apocolypse? What is it?

I'm ready for...
    meme-all-the-things.jpg
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    The population variable of this group is mostly their deviance.
  • Fee23
    Fee23 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yeah that seems kind of ridiculous since we're all here for the same reason. We should encourage, not discourage each other. OK that was like a Hallmark card. Sorry about that.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    A physicist, a biologist and a mathematician are sitting in a street café watching people entering and leaving the house on the other side of the street. First they see two people entering the house. Time passes. After a while they notice three people leaving the house. The physicist says, "The measurement wasn't accurate." The biologist says, "They must have reproduced." The mathematician says, "If one more person enters the house then it will be empty."

How do mathematicians solve constipation? Same way they solve everything, they work it out with a pencil.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    Seriously, screw you, and your math problems. It's too early/late/median for this.

You'll screw me for math problems?

quadratic-equation-calculator.gif

yes but more importantly, e^(pi*i) - 1 = 0 just ask Farris Euler.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah that seems kind of ridiculous since we're all here for the same reason. We should encourage, not discourage each other. OK that was like a Hallmark card. Sorry about that.

Here for almost TWO YEARS and your first post is "we're all here for the same reason"???

*sigh*

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay. :flowerforyou:
  • rjt1000
    Options

Here for almost TWO YEARS and your first post is "we're all here for the same reason"???
    *sigh*

We're all here for the same reason? You mean, everybody is here just to read posts by idjits who missed the joke? I know that's why I'm here.....
  • ChristieisReady
    Options

*sigh*

Pretty sure that's *everyone's* first post.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

*sigh*

We're all here for the same reason? You mean, everybody is here just to read posts by idjits who missed the joke? I know that's why I'm here.....

Me too. Well that and to lend any sarcasm, or to escalate where necessary.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Pretty sure that's *everyone's* first post.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't mine. I stayed away from the serious posts. I think I started with one of those lame *kitten* song title things... Hard to remember.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    tumblr_mcmuwvAqu31rsoq43o1_1280.png
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    shut_up.jpg
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I keep going around the forums and I just notice that if μ look at the average, it's mean. I'm not saying that people can't be helpful or nice or that everyone's bad, but it just seems that average is mean. μ know what I'm saying?

I completely agree. I feel like this site needs two different types of message boards. One in which people give their sarcastic remarks for a laugh, and the other in which people can get genuine help from others. I get the need to kick back and enjoy, but not at the expense of others. The emotional intelligence on this site is often lacking.

that's a good idea! the forum where people can have fun and post gifs and not have to worry about offending people should be called something like.. oh, i don't know... how about, "Chit Chat, Fun, and Games"? just so there's no way anybody could possibly be confused about the purpose of threads in there.

:drinker:

:wink:
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    I can't even tell who's serious anymore.

tumblr_lgt625BSpr1qeolcio1_500.gif
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2qocuEWNT1qfmqz4o1_500.jpg

I just showed this to my husband.

His response

"I can't see the whole thing."

He tried to scroll down and looked at me confused.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's because 10 out of every 6 people do not understand statistics.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why people consider disagreeing as mean? THAT seems to be the real issue here. Just because someone doesn't agree with you or offers an opinion that you may not like, that doesn't make it mean.