The difference between being mean and having an opinion

Options

Replies

• mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    I cant contribute anything constructive but this song is in my head because of this thread...

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson [OOOH]
    I am for real
    Never meant to make your daughter cry
    I apologize a trillion times....

It makes me want to be mean and have an opinion at the same time. Not sure where to go from here. :huh:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    It certainly is possible to have a different opinion and to express it in a kind way. But, it seems that most people here do not have the ability to do that. Snide remarks are all they are capable of. I feel it is a good idea to read over my responses before hitting "reply" and try to imagine how it sounds.

You could be as kind as humanly possibly and still manage upset someone....

That is true. I tend to just let things roll of my back. It is the internet, you can't read things exactly how people meant to say them. It may seem rude when it really wasn't meant that way. Ha, it isn't like you can call and ask what they meant! :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The content itself isn't at all bad, I just couldn't get my head around the motivation behind it, really, what is the point?

It is a bit odd.

Maybe they think that if they did it on the open board they might get a warning / strike whereas if they do it via PM they are less likely to suffer any consequences.

Dunno.

I would never go into a lady's inbox without asking...

<<<<< has manners.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    To me, if your going to post your business on a forum you need to be prepared to get some advice or opinions that you don't agree with.
    I also find that a lot of people find it easier to be judgmental and troll when they hide behind a computer screen. They say and do things they never would in real life.

So I guess its a little of both. I am known for being a little blunt on here but honestly, that's how I am in life too. Its important to me to be truthful, genuine and protect my integrity rather than say something that is socially correct or enable people just to avoid an uncomfortable conversation. That would be selfish of me to spare my feelings so I don't have to be "the bad guy".

This is true, I'm astonished at some of the business that is posted on here sometimes :laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone I know thinks I'm mean, I think that there are some people in this world who can't handle pointed and direct statements...A lot of it has to do with upbringing and natural disposition (nurture/nature).

My boss is pointed and direct. I spent the first year working for her thinking she was mean. She's not. She's really terrific...She simply doesn't have a filter, per se.

Personally, I would rather get it straight than have it sugar coated, because sugar has calories, and also leaves room for doubt. :laugh:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    The content itself isn't at all bad, I just couldn't get my head around the motivation behind it, really, what is the point?

It is a bit odd.

Maybe they think that if they did it on the open board they might get a warning / strike whereas if they do it via PM they are less likely to suffer any consequences.

Dunno.

I would never go into a lady's inbox without asking...

<<<<< has manners.

Such a gentleman! :flowerforyou:
  • mommamills
    Options
    the difference is all in the delivery! the problem is that most ppl can't seem to state their opinion without being assy about it...so yes, some ppl take it to heart and get their panties in a wad. But just like it's in some ppl's genes to be "assy" all the time it's in some ppl's genes to be on the defense all the time. That's just something that will never change.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Many times the folks who are "just giving their opinions" give it in a manner which is rather rude. Think about it, you go to a class that you've never been in before. You raise your hand and you ask the teacher a question in reply to which the teacher just says "This is a very stupid question and you should know the answer to it already. Thank you sir for wasting our time with your stupid question" and then behind your back, they say things like "What an idiot that guy is!". The teacher insulting in your class is the equivalent of being insulted on the forums and the "What an idiot that guy is!" behind your back is what goes on with some of these popular kids on their newsfeed.

Are they giving valid opinions. Sometimes. The knowledgeable folks have to realize that there are loud noises coming from every direction to a new user. People with 6 pack saying "Cut fat, carbs, protein and just eat 2 tootsie roll and drink your saliva" and then there are other wonderfully healthy folks saying "You can eat everything as long you're on a deficit" etc. Basically, 10 people, 10 theories, all screaming at each other on the forums.

So please, try some patience. I didn't learned these things by people yelling and screaming at me. Tough love is good but only when the other person realizes there is love present. Since most of us are strangers to each other, your tough love just comes off as being ... well... rude!

Just a thought.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :sad:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    More often than not, I find that the difference is in the interpretation by the person receiving the comment rather than the person giving it.

Unfortunately, most people can't take honest constructive criticism. They just want someone to nod and agree. That's why I usually just keep my mouth shut. Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want it.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    An opinion is based on a persons knowledge and their experience. It's a point of view. What shows through when people over react to a stated opinion is their own lack of self confidence. I don't expect others to agree with my opinions, they are mine, It's just food for thought meant to make you think and just maybe help another person expand their knowledge.
    Now if they want to see mean, I can show them mean. But what's the point? I don't ever reply to DQ posts or the "My way is the only right way" kind of posts. While they can give a few moments of hilarity they are usually packed with aggression, bias and closed mindedness. I want to expand my knowledge, create new experiences that continue to improve ME.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know, this site is full of whiners. I honestly don't know how these people exist. It's like trying to have a serious discussion with a bunch of cranky 6 year olds who have missed their nap time. Except most 6 year olds have a higher calorie goal and are generally cooler to hang out with.
    :drinker:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    the difference is all in the delivery! the problem is that most ppl can't seem to state their opinion without being assy about it...so yes, some ppl take it to heart and get their panties in a wad. But just like it's in some ppl's genes to be "assy" all the time it's in some ppl's genes to be on the defense all the time. That's just something that will never change.

I suppose we have the luxury of tone of voice etc in real life
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    :sad:

:flowerforyou:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    More often than not, I find that the difference is in the interpretation by the person receiving the comment rather than the person giving it.

Unfortunately, most people can't take honest constructive criticism. They just want someone to nod and agree. That's why I usually just keep my mouth shut. Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want it.

I'd much rather take constructive criticism over the treading on egg shells approach.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I find this thread to be relevant to my interests.

It's a real problem for me around here, because I enjoy debate. If you ask about Shakeology I'm going to tell you it's overpriced. If you complain about your significant other I'm not automatically going to take your side.

Both of those things can get you in big trouble around here.

Yesterday a good friend of mine was permanently banned because some girl wanted to complain about her boyfriend and to him she sounded like a nag. So while it was ok that her boyfriend was called a liar, cheater, and a jerk (all without hearing his side) you can not ever suggest that maybe, just maybe, the original poster may be the one at fault.

The mods of this site themselves have stated, it's not so important to them that weight loss information be accurate or beneficial, just so long as you say it nicely. Sorry but to me that's a terrible policy. I've seen plenty of people who very sweetly and kindly gave AWFUL advice. And I've seen tons of good and helpful advice come in a no-nonsense format.

There are a lot of other failed weight loss sites out there. Most of them fell into this trap. People so worried about their feelings that eventually it becomes nothing but, "You're great, whatever you choose to do for you is the right thing, have a cookie." And the salespeople worm their way in and run amok with their shakes and powders and scams.

Some people here are serious about fitness. Others just want you to tell them what they want to hear. And right now the latter group is in charge.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't know, this site is full of whiners. I honestly don't know how these people exist. It's like trying to have a serious discussion with a bunch of cranky 6 year olds who have missed their nap time. Except most 6 year olds have a higher calorie goal and are generally cooler to hang out with.

I'm not even reading past this. Perfect. lol.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

It's a real problem for me around here, because I enjoy debate. If you ask about Shakeology I'm going to tell you it's overpriced. If you complain about your significant other I'm not automatically going to take your side.

Yesterday a good friend of mine was permanently banned because some girl wanted to complain about her boyfriend and to him she sounded like a nag. So while it was ok that her boyfriend was called a liar, cheater, and a jerk (all without hearing his side) you can not ever suggest that maybe, just maybe, the original poster may be the one at fault.

The mods of this site themselves have stated, it's not so important to them that weight loss information be accurate or beneficial, just so long as you say it nicely. Sorry but to me that's a terrible policy. I've seen plenty of people who very sweetly and kindly gave AWFUL advice. And I've seen tons of good and helpful advice come in a no-nonsense format.

There are a lot of other failed weight loss sites out there. Most of them fell into this trap. People so worried about their feelings that eventually it becomes nothing but, "You're great, whatever you choose to do for you is the right thing, have a cookie." And the salespeople worm their way in and run amok with their shakes and powders and scams.

Some people here are serious about fitness. Others just want you to tell them what they want to hear. And right now the latter group is in charge.

This!!! Thanks Brett, I actually saw the thread that you are talking about! It does seem awfully one sided and biased. It seems that even the opinions that wouldn't usually be deemed as controversial or radical aren't accepted just incase someone takes offence...
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching the back and forth debates over which is the best way to lose weight without losing lean body mass. I love watching people deplore and defend 1200 calories. It's when the conversations denigrate into GIF posts to mock, belittle, or otherwise ridicule one or more contributing debaters/OP that my eyerolling starts - it's like people don't know how to validate their opinions with facts so they resort to GIF-posting.

I find debates, especially the heated ones, enlightening as you can get a real earful of what people think and why and are able to derive your own thoughts and opinions. I usually opt out of commenting if its a field I know next to nothing about, which even a year later is a LOT of stuff =P Most people like chiming in. Its just who we are I suppose.

That and people who are bad at losing a debate and then cry about it or have a tantrum. That is never pretty to see.

I hope this thread doesn't end up as a GIF-a-thon :grumble:

Sorry ...Had to :flowerforyou:

Hah! Funny :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Fantastic post.