ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I also started doing HIIT on the elliptical. I warm up for 2 minutes, then go to 8 resistant for 2 minutes and then resistant 4 repeat for 30 minutes. Not sure if this is right

Resistant for 1min and slow for 2mins. Repeat x 5 and that's 15mins total.

REST.

30mins isn't necessary I don't think - it's been proven some people respond to just 12mins total HIIT PER WEEK!!! YES!!! 12MINS PER WEEK!!! You could be one of them!!!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I only have to do HIIT only 12 minutes in a week! that is crazy.

So on Monday I'm going to do 2 minute warm up
    2 minutes at 11
    2 minutes at 4
    Repeat 5 times.

Is that right.
  • tricksee
    Options
    I only have to do HIIT only 12 minutes in a week! that is crazy.

So on Monday I'm going to do 2 minute warm up
    2 minutes at 11
    2 minutes at 4
    Repeat 5 times.

Is that right.

Haha, no - don't get all excited! You're going to it for 15mins every time you go the gym.

I'm just saying some people can get away with, and it's been proven, 12mins a week.

You just stick to 15mins a session though.
  • sunrunner_no1
    Options
    There are a couple of others worth adding, namely

The Fat Myth

Muscle does not weigh more than FAT, it occupies less space and is more dense, 1lb of FAT weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

If the scales don’t move or go up and some one tells you its because muscle weighs more than fat and the three times a week you go to the Gym for half an hour is because of the muscle you have put on b!tch slap em. You would have to train like an Olympic athlete 7 days a week to put any significant muscle on and as for the ladies its even bloody worse. You are not designed to bulk up with muscle.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU. That's what I say every time some dumb *kitten* says that to me.
  • AmeliaIrene
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply! As it stands I drink a good amount of water, but it could definitely be increased, and I do noticed that when I drink a lot I tend to be less hungry. I'll make sure to up this even more (starting right now)!

I do have a hard time with tracking. Where I make a lot of food from scratch it can get tedious when tracking a salad with 8 or 10 different veggies... I think that paying closer attention to getting it down to the letter is a good idea. A quick question on this note, when tracking things like cooked veggies I'm never sure if 1 cup is in reference to 1 cup before I cooked it, or after I cooked it. I don't know if you, or anyone else, knows the answer, but I'm never sure (this may be part of my issue, too).

I'm trying to turn my frustration into motivation, but it's true that right now all I want to do is google "quick fixes", even though I know that isn't the answer.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Ok thanks

I'm so new to all of this.
    I'm also started to Core Challenge.

The only thing is push ups, so im doing the wall ones. until i get stronger. I have wedding this summer in June. And I want to lose 16lbs and some inches all over. Mainly my tummy.
    So I'm hoping this will work.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Ok thanks

I'm so new to all of this. .

Glad to have helped, you're hard work, you are!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Thanks for your help
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've read nerdfitness.bodybuilding and stil a bit stuck - would you mind helping me put together a program that uses what I have to be most efficient at building muscle and strength and burning fat in the process?

I'm unfortunately unable to afford a gym, or buy any more weights, money is stupidly tight, although I've put notes up for any barbells going spare on Freecycle et al.

Female, 27, about 170lb and 5"9.
    Body fat about 43% according to one of the hand held testers so rather needs improving.
    Free weights 1.1kg, 2.3kg and 4.5kg - the last is too heavy for me to lift more than 5 or 6 times at the moment.
    Average around 1600-1700 having glanced at my diary

thanks!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Can we ask other things too? Like, who is the greatest musician to have ever lived? Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 while the rolls are in packs of 8? Why is chocolate the greatest food known to mankind? what is a "hipster"?
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Save for later
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    <3 you tricksee and thanks for sharing this! Screw all the haters you are AWESOME! But we already knew this,
    Bump for later. :smile:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'll play. My goal is to lose just a tiny bit more fat. Maybe go down half a size. And I'd like to get some bigger muscles!

Is it true that it's extremely difficult to gain muscle without a calorie surplus? If I eat at maintenance for a few months and just assume I know what I'm doing with training and eating well (I know, big assumptions right?).... will I really put on zero muscle? Or is it likely that I'll put on like .5 lbs of muscle per month and lose a teensy bit of fat too? In case it's not obvious, I'm female, you know, with female hormones and such :wink:

I mean, I've seen so many stories of people being 135 in this pic (not goal) and 135 in this pic (goal) and they say nothing of doing a cut/bulk/cut/bulk or anything like that. They just imply that they ate maintenance calories and slowly added muscle/lost fat. But then I've read a lot of stuff that says that you can only do one or the other LOSE or GAIN. not both.

CONFUSED! Thanks for your opinion :smile:
  • toriro
    toriro Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What do you think about green tea pills?
  • tricksee
    Options
    I've read nerdfitness.bodybuilding and stil a bit stuck - would you mind helping me put together a program that uses what I have to be most efficient at building muscle and strength and burning fat in the process?

I'm unfortunately unable to afford a gym, or buy any more weights, money is stupidly tight, although I've put notes up for any barbells going spare on Freecycle et al.

Female, 27, about 170lb and 5"9.
    Body fat about 43% according to one of the hand held testers so rather needs improving.
    Free weights 1.1kg, 2.3kg and 4.5kg - the last is too heavy for me to lift more than 5 or 6 times at the moment.
    Average around 1600-1700 having glanced at my diary

thanks!

You're not going to build much (any) muscle if you are not eating enough calories. You need to be at a caloric SURPLUS in order to do that.

My advice is this... You know that heavy free weight you can barely lift? LIFT IT!!! Don't bother with the lighter weights.
    Do squats! Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body and when you hit them hard, your body will unleash all kinds of muscle building, fat kicking hormones that'll do you the world of good all over your body.

Eat protein. 1gram per pound of your LBM and you'll see results.

There was a post a few pages back with someone bodyweight exercises on. Look at those and incorporate what you're capable of into your home workouts.

There are free videos on Youtube than can also help you.
  • tricksee
    Options
    What do you think about green tea pills?

Just drink green tea?!
  • liliumkain
    Options
    Can we ask other things too? Like, who is the greatest musician to have ever lived? Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 while the rolls are in packs of 8? Why is chocolate the greatest food known to mankind? what is a "hipster"?

(I'm going to join in the fun here since I can't resist)

How about questions like this:

Do you know why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    Do you lift, bro?

Ok, giggle time aside. Normally I wouldn't take advice from a, no offense, muscle head since they either lack knowledge or all they know is muscles or in some cases steroids. Though, I've never spoken to a buff person such as yourself (I assume), OP unless they were idolizing my chest region (then most of the time it was just an idiotic conversation).
    Anyways, I did find some comfort about the weight fluctuating daily. Like recently, I worked hard to drop two pounds and I've been rejoicing, but then I jump on the scale the next day to see I gained a pound and I find myself throwing a mental fit and stressing out over it.
  • smalacarne
    Options
    bump