ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• inkysmurf
    Options
    love this thread! making me laugh, nice mix of good humour and useful advice cheers
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I did 'The Core Challenge' and was scared to cough or sneeze for 3 days because of the pain.

Is it bam, bam, bam or do you rest in-between e.g 50 crunches, rest, 15 push-ups, rest :laugh:

Ticksee, do you rest in-between? :smile:
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    It's go, go and GO when I do it.

Takes me just over 11-12 mins to complete because I add a few other exercises sometimes.

So don't rest.

When it's complete you can rest for the remaining 1429 minutes of the day.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    if diet is so important what kind of diet do you recommend for toning up and losing fat?

A calorie controlled one. There is no such thing as toning. The leaner you get your muscle 'tone' will start to look harder.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I did 'The Core Challenge' and was scared to cough or sneeze for 3 days because of the pain.

Is it bam, bam, bam or do you rest in-between e.g 50 crunches, rest, 15 push-ups, rest :laugh:

the push ups and bridges are the "rest"
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That's what's great about I.F - You'll be so in tune with your body and it's needs that you won't need to track your calories, macros

to a certain point. But when dropping into the single digits, attention to detail is what makes the difference between 8% BF and 4%.
  • AmeliaIrene
    Options
    I'm a bit discouraged and can't figure out how to get back on track. Any advise would be amazing.

I don't eat/drink:
    juice / soda / anything that isn't water or non-soium seltzer water (except I do drink alcohol a couple times a week)
    candy / cake / cookies / chips / junk or snack food
    highly processed foods
    bread

I eat pretty healthily, (mostly vegetables, dairy, and meat) and I exercise pretty regularly, though I do have a desk job) and can't stop gaining weight! 2 months ago I was around 143lbs and now I'm up to 150lbs. The way my clothing fits isn't too different, but things are definitely starting to feel a little snug (I'm a tight size 6 right now). The lightest I've ever been was 133lbs (3 years ago), and I was still a size 6 but lost a lot of the "goo" and was much more lean (and confident, obviously).

I MUST be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out! My daily calorie goal is 1200 and I'm generally around 1200-1600 before exercise. If anyone can help with suggestions or advise I would really appreciate it! I'm feeling pretty defeated right now. Thank you!
  • tricksee
    Options
    That's what's great about I.F - You'll be so in tune with your body and it's needs that you won't need to track your calories, macros

to a certain point. But when dropping into the single digits, attention to detail is what makes the difference between 8% BF and 4%.

Never has there been a truer word spoken...

However 4% and 8% are extremely low body fat percentages and I get the feeling that a majority of the people in this thread are here for a more moderate and realistic loss of weight in proportion to their current size.

I think athletes hover between 6%-12% which is great! That isn't really the audience I feel we have here, though.

I'm not saying that some of you guys aren't capable though!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options

As you get better at doing it, increase the minute planks to 90 seconds and press-ups by 5 or 10 reps depending on how brave you are.

Good luck, guys.

Im having a really hard time doing push ups. Started doing wall push up, my wrist are not strong enough.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I have a question for you.

Last night I started using the weight machines at the gym. I did 1 set and then went on and did all the machines , then came back and started all over. Did this 3 time. Is that right or should I stay with 1 machine and do it 3 times back to back.

Also another question.

I also started HIIT on the elliptical. I warmed up at resistant 2 for 2 minutes. Then went to 11 resistant for 2 minutes. Repeated this for 30 minutes. Not sure if this is right.

I have 16 lbs to lose until I hit my goal. I hit a plateau sometime back. And just stopped logging everything, working out. And I'm back at it full force.
  • AngieSitaAustin
    AngieSitaAustin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have calculated my TDEE and BMR, but i dont know what to do with this information now?
    appologies if this is a repet question
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering all those questions Tricksee! :flowerforyou: I'm gonna try keep at the I.F 16/8 for a month and see where it takes me! Meanwhile I'll be 'stalking' this thread 'coz it's getting to be more and more interesting :laugh:
  • natzkj
    natzkj Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Any advice for people with pear shaped bodies?
  • tricksee
    Options
    I'm a bit discouraged and can't figure out how to get back on track. Any advise would be amazing.

I don't eat/drink:
    juice / soda / anything that isn't water or non-soium seltzer water (except I do drink alcohol a couple times a week)
    candy / cake / cookies / chips / junk or snack food
    highly processed foods
    bread

I eat pretty healthily, (mostly vegetables, dairy, and meat) and I exercise pretty regularly, though I do have a desk job) and can't stop gaining weight! 2 months ago I was around 143lbs and now I'm up to 150lbs. The way my clothing fits isn't too different, but things are definitely starting to feel a little snug (I'm a tight size 6 right now). The lightest I've ever been was 133lbs (3 years ago), and I was still a size 6 but lost a lot of the "goo" and was much more lean (and confident, obviously).

I MUST be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out! My daily calorie goal is 1200 and I'm generally around 1200-1600 before exercise. If anyone can help with suggestions or advise I would really appreciate it! I'm feeling pretty defeated right now. Thank you!

Discouraged?!! DEFEATED?!! Not on my watch, darling!!

Check your calories again! Make sure you aren't underestimating the calories you consume or overestimating the ones you burn. Calorie miscalculations are common as hell and believe it or not food company's actually lie about how many calories are actually in their products just so they can sell more of it.

Be weary of carbs!! I mentioned in a previous post about your body has a limited capacity to store carbs therefore the excess is stored as FAT cause your capacity to store fat is UNLIMITED. Yes UNLIMITED!! How do I know this?EASY!! Some people have been cut out of their homes due to the amount of fat they're packing, that's why!!

Drink MORE water. Drink so much water that you're sick of the seeing the bathroom.

Change your workouts. Some people do not respond to certain exersises no matter how much they do them. A guy from my gym would do circuit training and sweat before I even arrived and for a long time after I left and for 3 years he hardly lost a thing.
    One day he picked up the weights and his body responded much better to that.

Portion sizes!! For 3 weeks I advise you actually weigh out your food. I'm not a fan of this long term but you'd be amazed at how OFF you are when it comes to guessing portions by eye. Once you have a handle on your portions, see how the scale looks!

Try upping your calories. There is a lot of advice on this website about EATING BACK CALORIES. Some people think it's a waste of time and effort, others swear by it. All I will say now is that if you aren't seeing results then it's probably worth giving it a go see if you're a respond

HIIT - Intense bursts of exercise!! When you're on the treadmill, talking to the lady next to you about last nights episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' - Your body is burning calories, sure. But maybe you really need to shock it? Tell the lady next to you to respectfully get lost while you do some serious cardio!

Good luck!
  • Melissaol
    Options

Last night I started using the weight machines at the gym. I did 1 set and then went on and did all the machines , then came back and started all over. Did this 3 time. Is that right or should I stay with 1 machine and do it 3 times back to back.

Also another question.

I also started HIIT on the elliptical. I warmed up at resistant 2 for 2 minutes. Then went to 11 resistant for 2 minutes. Repeated this for 30 minutes. Not sure if this is right.

I have 16 lbs to lose until I hit my goal. I hit a plateau sometime back. And just stopped logging everything, working out. And I'm back at it full force.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Any advice for people with pear shaped bodies?

YES!!! THIS SENTENCE!!!! LOOK!!!! >> Exercise and a well balanced diet with a caloric deficit of -300 to -500.

The exact same for every other body shape! Sorry that can't be anymore specific but it doesn't need to be in my opinion!
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Quote from MFERN123:
    "The benefit of starting a little high (which admittedly this does) is that all diets whether you do low calorie or higher have an adaptive component. Your body craves homeostasis. Part of this is a function of loss of body weight, part is due to the suitability of calorie deficits. Therefore if you start high then when this kicks in you still have plenty of calories to cut from. If you start at the lowest intake possible then you don't have much flexibility before you start reaching a calorie level which is very difficult to keep to psychologically and physiologically. More options are better than less.

Keeping an open mind, keeping things simple and allowing yourself more flexibility over rigidity tend to work very well for most people."

^^^ This is the most sensible, and informative piece of advice I have read, ever!! Quite frankly in a minefield of information overload (not just from this op, but referring to all info available out there, surely meant to confuse)!!!! this makes THE most sense.

Thank you.
  • tricksee
    Options
    i have calculated my TDEE and BMR, but i dont know what to do with this information now?
    appologies if this is a repet question

I'd do it for you but I'm rubbish at maths. Don't get upset though. THIS EXISTS!!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • tricksee
    Options

Some people will say that at the end of each gym session you're muscles have pushed or pulled the same amount of weight so it doesn't matter.

Others will say the opposite.

I will say this... GET OFF THE WEIGHT MACHINES!!!

Use free weights instead. Using machines limits your muscles to one particular motion depending on how that machine is built, either pushing or pulling.

FREE WEIGHTS however incorporate other groups of muscles and fibers you probably didn't even know you had as you have to GUIDE the weights yourself. Not the machine.

I went slightly off topic there but for good reason. Stick to sets of the same exercise and then move on! No fancy science *kitten* behind that reasoning - just bloody do it, sister!
  • Melissaol
    Options

Some people will say that at the end of each gym session you're muscles have pushed or pulled the same amount of weight so it doesn't matter.

Others will say the opposite.

I will say this... GET OFF THE WEIGHT MACHINES!!!

Use free weights instead. Using machines limits your muscles to one particular motion depending on how that machine is built, either pushing or pulling.

FREE WEIGHTS however incorporate other groups of muscles and fibers you probably didn't even know you had as you have to GUIDE the weights yourself. Not the machine.

I went slightly off topic there but for good reason. Stick to sets of the same exercise and then move on! No fancy science *kitten* behind that reasoning - just bloody do it, sister!

Thank you!
    When it comes to free weights I not sure what to be doing?
    I also started doing HIIT on the elliptical. I warm up for 2 minutes, then go to 8 resistant for 2 minutes and then resistant 4 repeat for 30 minutes. Not sure if this is right