ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just perved your profile pics and notice that your starting shape is very similar to my husbands, He's having problems "changing shape" Could you tell me what your exercise routine was to get to your now shape please :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I've never agreed with the multiplying by 10 thing. That means that to maintain my current weight I need to eat ~1400 calories a day. No, thats how much I do for weight loss.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Love this tread... Here's my question(s)

I'm down to my last 6-10 lbs of fat to lose to get me betwen 18-20% body fat and it's being a little *****. I haven't seen progress since New Years... even though since then I've changed things up by increasing my calories (with clean calories of course) increased my cardio, have kept weight lifting 3 X a week... What else should I try... I've heard carb cycling might be an option? Thoughts? For cardio I do HIIT for about 20 minutes then follow it up with steady pace for another 20 minutes or so.

I've always heard the last pounds are the hardest but seriously... a month and a half and nothing? Any input is appreciated. THANKS!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I refuse to get into a kerfuffle with anyone but it's bugging me to not say something. I stumbled on this thread, read some and skipped to a random page where the OP says this thread is "probably riddled with misinformation". As you can see by my join date I'm no expert either, but when someone acknowledges their own information is of questionable quality it raises an eyebrow. That's all, just keeping my conscience clear, caveat emptor and all that.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I refuse to get into a kerfuffle with anyone but it's bugging me to not say something. I stumbled on this thread, read some and skipped to a random page where the OP says this thread is "probably riddled with misinformation". As you can see by my join date I'm no expert either, but when someone acknowledges their own information is of questionable quality it raises an eyebrow. That's all, just keeping my conscience clear, caveat emptor and all that.

Only because my advice is mainly based on the previous experience of either myself or those I know.

When I say "misinformation" what i mean is that the advice I give may not be what the leading experts in sports & fitness science or study are saying. It may not be what other members here have tried or agree with.

It's just advice though. At least I'm here offering something instead of nit-picking or trying to blow what other people say out of the water just because their methods never worked for me.

Going back to the science studies and experts though... The planet is 50% overweight and that number is rising. So I don't care much for most of their studies/opinions or guides.

All I know is what I've seen and that's what I'm sticking too. If you guys want to listen that's fine, if you don't you know where the door is.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Only because my advice is mainly based on the previous experience of either myself or those I know.

When I say "misinformation" what i mean is that the advice I give may not be what the leading experts in sports & fitness science or study are saying. It may not be what other members here have tried or agree with.

It's just advice though. At least I'm here offering something instead of nit-picking or trying to blow what other people say out of the water just because their methods never worked for me.

Going back to the science studies and experts though... The planet is 50% overweight and that number is rising. So I don't care much for most of their studies/opinions or guides.

All I know is what I've seen and that's what I'm sticking too. If you guys want to listen that's fine, if you don't you know where the door is.
    I'll show myself out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MGSR
    MGSR Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? :noway: :noway: :noway: Just seen it :noway: :noway:

I just watched this! That guy is an ANIMAL!!!! UNREAL!! I am in love! LOL :laugh: :love: You can tell it is overseas somewhere, Iraq, Afghanistan. HOOAH!!!! It was funny to see some of the jealous looks he was getting from other people. :laugh:

Amazing video! My husband recons it's the American Gym out in Afghan where he trained whilst he was out there.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Don't know about the world, but here in the good old U.S of A it is more to the tune of 67% overweight. Like you, I don't have a lot of faith in government studies and experts . I would much rather glean information from those who are walking the walk (tricksee included) not talking a good story from a lab, board room or some faceless Congressional panel. Thumbs up, man.

My $0.02
  • adiannen83
    adiannen83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I must say I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Most everything on MFP is the advice of other members and what has worked for them on their journey. At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you. Every scientific diet, engineered by a panel of experts, won't work either. All that to say, take it or leave it, but don't bother the rest of us that enjoy a light-hearted, yet informative veiw on weightloss, nutirition, etc. Thanks!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did 'The Core Challenge' and was scared to cough or sneeze for 3 days because of the pain.

As you get better at doing it, increase the minute planks to 90 seconds and press-ups by 5 or 10 reps depending on how brave you are.

Good luck, guys.

Im having a really hard time doing push ups. Started doing wall push up, my wrist are not strong enough.

Believe OP is an expert in "wrist strength" excercizes.:laugh:
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Believe OP is an expert in "wrist strength" excercizes.:laugh:

Leave the jokes to me, slick.
  • tootoop224
    Options

The vast majority of information you get in all aspects of your life is "of questionable quality" (or at least it should be treated as such until you prove otherwise) , OP is just honest enough to acknowledge it. Whenever you process information, caveat emptor and considering the source should be your guides.
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I did 'The Core Challenge' and was scared to cough or sneeze for 3 days because of the pain.

Is it bam, bam, bam or do you rest in-between e.g 50 crunches, rest, 15 push-ups, rest :laugh:

the push ups and bridges are the "rest"
    How many times a week do youdo it? Everyday?
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    DebbieLynn: Excellent points! I don't know why anyone would prefer misinformation over a slew of easy to use online BMR/TDEE calculators (that are, even with their own erros, significantly more informed than this post). The point you bring up about a 300lb bodybuilder vs. a 300lb morbidly obese and sedentary woman perfectly encapsulates the error in the OP's method. I don't know how anyone could say that certain variables considered in those calculators are irrelevant (age, body fat %, etc). It's just shocking.

Did you actually read the article I linked before you fell off your chair in horror?

Sure you can use Miflin St Joer to calculate BMR. Or Katch Mcardle if you know your BF%. Or Harris Benedict if you have a good handle on your activity multipliers.

The point is that for most people this level of detail is not particularly necessary. They are just estimates. Sure they may be a little more accurate relatively than the 10 cals per 1lb of total body weight method but that is missing the wood for the trees.

All most people really need when starting off on their fat loss quest is a reasonable starting figure. They can then tweak as necessary depending on progress. So many people become obsessed over whether they are eating the exact number of calories needed whilst forgetting that all these equations generate estimates and calorie needs are variable, from day to day and even from month to month (particularly due to changes in activity levels.) Sometimes obsession may be good (athlete needing to make a weight class for example) but for the average person that mindset can be rather unhealthy.

So what happens to our 300 lbs lady eating 3,000 calories per day if her weight loss is exceedingly slow? Simple. She cuts calories per week until she is at a calorie sweet spot where her weight is dropping nicely without too much impact on mood and the ability to perform day to day functions or exercise.

The benefit of starting a little high (which admittedly this does) is that all diets whether you do low calorie or higher have an adaptive component. Your body craves homeostasis. Part of this is a function of loss of body weight, part is due to the suitability of calorie deficits. Therefore if you start high then when this kicks in you still have plenty of calories to cut from. If you start at the lowest intake possible then you don't have much flexibility before you start reaching a calorie level which is very difficult to keep to psychologically and physiologically. More options are better than less.

Keeping an open mind, keeping things simple and allowing yourself more flexibility over rigidity tend to work very well for most people.

Shocking innit?

(*all the above presumes no medical / metabolic conditions as I have stated before*)

The hypothetical 300lb lady probably doesn't have time for the "exceedingly slow" and completely unnecessary way of doing things when she could take 5 minutes to do measurements and calculations and lose weight at 2lbs a week (very safely at that weight) and quickly decrease her chance of death by wasting no time losing 10% of her body weight. I have no idea what circumstance leave you imagining this woman unable to perform day to day functions and starving when she clearly has a vault of body fat to work through.
  • tootoop224
    Options
    How many times a week do youdo it? Everyday?

That's a rather personal question.:laugh: