ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• smalacarne
    Options
    Thanks, I recently posted one of the topics that annoyed you :) I will take your advice and weigh myself once a month.
    I do circuit classes 3 times a week, metabolic classes twice a week then elliptical on the weekend... stay within my calories during the week, but cant say the same for the weekend.... so I guess I need to stop obsessing over the daily weigh-ins!

Thanks, Sue :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I vote this thread to get a sticky
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Normally I wouldn't take advice from a, no offense, muscle head
    I've never spoken to a buff person such as yourself

Muscle head? Buff?

My pictures are photo-shopped, lady.
    Anyways, I did find some comfort about the weight fluctuating daily.

I'm glad. Keep up the good work! :-)
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of others worth adding, namely

The Fat Myth

Muscle does not weigh more than FAT, it occupies less space and is more dense, 1lb of FAT weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

If the scales don’t move or go up and some one tells you its because muscle weighs more than fat and the three times a week you go to the Gym for half an hour is because of the muscle you have put on b!tch slap em. You would have to train like an Olympic athlete 7 days a week to put any significant muscle on and as for the ladies its even bloody worse. You are not designed to bulk up with muscle.

true
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I agree it it the greatest thread ever " tricksee".
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What is your workout routine and how many times a week do you hit the gym? Have you heard of ZuzkaLight? She hot and does 15 min workouts. Link below i you havent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    You're not going to build much (any) muscle if you are not eating enough calories. You need to be at a caloric SURPLUS in order to do that.

My advice is this... You know that heavy free weight you can barely lift? LIFT IT!!! Don't bother with the lighter weights.
    Do squats! Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body and when you hit them hard, your body will unleash all kinds of muscle building, fat kicking hormones that'll do you the world of good all over your body.

Eat protein. 1gram per pound of your LBM and you'll see results.

There was a post a few pages back with someone bodyweight exercises on. Look at those and incorporate what you're capable of into your home workouts.

There are free videos on Youtube than can also help you.
    [/quote]

I'll have a look thanks! Okay, those weights I can barely lift - how do I use them? bicep curls when squatting, on their own, something else I've missed? Cheers!
  • liliumkain
    Options
    Normally I wouldn't take advice from a, no offense, muscle head
    I've never spoken to a buff person such as yourself

Muscle head? Buff?

My pictures are photo-shopped, lady.
    Anyways, I did find some comfort about the weight fluctuating daily.

I'm glad. Keep up the good work! :-)

Well then :P And thanks
  • tricksee
    Options
    In case it's not obvious, I'm female, you know

Thanks for clearing that up, I did have to double-take!
    Is it true that it's extremely difficult to gain muscle without a calorie surplus?

Yes, that's true. It's optimal to build at a surplus, though. I do believe, however, that it is possible to build muscle at AROUND maintenance. People will probably flame me for that but whatever, it's an opinion!
    I mean, I've seen so many stories of people being 135 in this pic (not goal) and 135 in this pic (goal) and they say nothing of doing a cut/bulk/cut/bulk or anything like that. They just imply that they ate maintenance calories and slowly added muscle/lost fat. But then I've read a lot of stuff that says that you can only do one or the other LOSE or GAIN. not both.

Check out leangains and see what you think if you haven't already. It could be the perfect thing for you!
  • tricksee
    Options
    What is your workout routine and how many times a week do you hit the gym?

I don't workout. I don't have a gym membership.

A few press-ups here and there if I can be bothered. The rest is genetics.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    On the Hussman Fitness site, he explains the 'Rule of Thumb' calculating method for BMR is 9-11 cals per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, not total body weight.

True you can.

You could also try Lyle McDonald's starting point as I referenced before.

More options are better than less right?

I agree. It is when opinions are stated as absolute fact, and everyone else is wrong, that there is a problem. There are exceptions to almost every rule, and often the exceptions can end up outnumbering the original rule.

There are numerous ways to have success with weight loss and fitness. Very few things work exactly right for everyone.

You provided an opinion that worked for you and others that are similar to you.

I provided an opinion that works better for me and other people who are different than you.

My neck hairs just bristle when someone states that their opinion is the gospel truth for everyone.

Options are good.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    What is your workout routine and how many times a week do you hit the gym?

I don't workout. I don't have a gym membership.

A few press-ups here and there if I can be bothered. The rest is genetics.

You just lost your audience with this one! lol

And pull your pants up dear, your mama might see that new pic! :blushing:
  • kddarrow
    Options
    bump for later
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    At so much, am learning to readjust eating, jacq

I don't understand that. Did you type it with your face?

BAHAHAHA - this is one of the reasons this is the "greatest thread ever!!"
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    In case it's not obvious, I'm female, you know

Thanks for clearing that up, I did have to double-take!
    Is it true that it's extremely difficult to gain muscle without a calorie surplus?

Yes, that's true. It's optimal to build at a surplus, though. I do believe, however, that it is possible to build muscle at AROUND maintenance. People will probably flame me for that but whatever, it's an opinion!
    I mean, I've seen so many stories of people being 135 in this pic (not goal) and 135 in this pic (goal) and they say nothing of doing a cut/bulk/cut/bulk or anything like that. They just imply that they ate maintenance calories and slowly added muscle/lost fat. But then I've read a lot of stuff that says that you can only do one or the other LOSE or GAIN. not both.

Check out leangains and see what you think if you haven't already. It could be the perfect thing for you!

leangains and musclehack (low carb method) are the 2 I have seen for gaining and losing at the same time. I think I might prefer the traditional cut/bulk.... hmmmm..... :smile: Ok thanks!
  • tricksee
    Options
    You just lost your audience with this one! lol

I doubt it but hopefully I'll lose you.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    BUMP
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great Advice, awesome humor. I am just starting the 16/8 program. So far so good. :love: