my new plan..need some opinions..

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i have noticed one sad thing. all the people who put my diet down or say my calories are too low, are all fat. so that's like getting an opinion about my car problems from someone that does hair for a living, it doesn't even make sense. quit hating yourselves and bring so negative.

Oblivious.

Have fun with your make believe diet. If you ever get tired of being fat and sedentary, maybe you can do this for real.

P.s., i'm not fat.:tongue:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So tell me about your cheat day. I need some advice about this kind of thing. If 1300 calories is enough most days, and you have like two 1000 calorie days, this gives you something like 600 extra calories for your cheat day. Are you gonna log on your cheat day, too? Is your cheat day gonna be under 1900? I'm just curious about this day, since you're so disciplined and have a great, strict, unflexible plan for the rest of the time, how do you keep the cheat day under your calorie goal and not let it spin off into cheat weekends and cheat weeks?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    So tell me about your cheat day. I need some advice about this kind of thing. If 1300 calories is enough most days, and you have like two 1000 calorie days, this gives you something like 600 extra calories for your cheat day. Are you gonna log on your cheat day, too? Is your cheat day gonna be under 1900? I'm just curious about this day, since you're so disciplined and have a great, strict, unflexible plan for the rest of the time, how do you keep the cheat day under your calorie goal and not let it spin off into cheat weekends and cheat weeks?

This is the major flaw with this plan, the OP NEEDS a cheat day because the rest of the week is so strict. I don't need a cheat day because I eat at a sensible level and if I want something unhealthy, I fit it in.

What the hell do I know, though. I'm fat.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm going to overlook your angry outburst about 'fat people'. I am still fat, but I thought you might just want to talk. :wink:
    My goal is to lose 55 pounds.
    I've been reading a lot about different diets and i came up with my own.

Yep. That's where a whole lot of folks start, except I need to lose more than that, and I am in a hurry. My surgeon said that I can have new knees, when I lose 70 pounds. I understand how you feel about it taking too long to lose weight. That's why I jumped right in with 1000 calories per day.

It worked for about a month or so. Then, I started getting headaches and feeling like I was starving. Even with no exercise at all (That's me...stuck in a wheelchair), I was told that I needed to eat more...not by a nutritionist...by the folks on MFP

They talked about letters, like BMR and TDEE, which I still don't fully understand; but some folks on this site kindly calculated them for me. The letters relate to charts (medical type) that determine your body's rate at using food, and what it takes to stay at your weight or lose weight with a certain amount of calories. Somewhere in all of those letters, it also lets you know how to add extra calories for working out.

That last part doesn't apply to me yet. With new knees, I will be able to start exercise; and those calculations will come up again.
    I'm starting Monday. I will update this with my results or you can add me as a friend and see how I'm doing.

Monday? That was yesterday where I am at. What about today? Tuesday is a good day to start a new plan too. :happy:

By the way, I will be happy to be have you as a friend, if you don't call me a 'fat person' anymore. :noway:
    1000/day 3 days, walk a half hour a day on those days.

Boy. I wish I could walk. Take one walk for me. :wink:
    and then 1300+calories/3 days with hour of exercise switching between aerobics and strength training, I will let MyfitnessPal tell me how much I can go over the 1300 as I track my food,.

That seems like the best part of your plan. The calories sound about right, and the MFP program will let you know how your food lines up with your exercise.

Okay. Now, let's look at that last day of the week a little closer. :ohwell:
    and 1 day...whatever the hell i feel like, no rules!!!!!.

This is the day that would do me in completely. I am capable of eating a week's worth of calories in a 'no rules' day. That is how I got in trouble...eating without rules.

Perhaps, you could modify that idea a little bit. Plan a day with a few more calories or something special that you would like to eat on just that one day...but don't go crazy, stuffing yourself. With no rules, I would be eating a 2 pound box of truffles for breakfast...and Heaven only know...what I would be eating for the rest of the day. :laugh:
    all days ORGANIC
    and mostly vegan, with the exception of my fish, eggs, and cheese. Once I figure out how to cook something that can get me around my fish eggs and cheese I will no longer eat them.
    and of coarse a liquid multivitamin and 8 glasses of water at minimal a day.

Is chocolate organic...or vegan? I haven't got a clue about 'vegan' vs 'vegetarian'. I have no desire to stop eating meat. I have no desire to switch to tofu as a protein...yet.
    So, what do you think?
    Please don't tell me it's unhealthy. Can't be any less healthy then being 55 pounds over weight!!!
    Also, what ideas so you have besides gum(I don't do Aspartame) when I need to curb a food craving?

I won't tell you that what you are doing is unhealthy. I am not going to set myself as a judge.

Food cravings? That's a good question. I try to spread my eating out evenly. That way, I have something to eat about every 3 to 4 hours. In between, I drink a lot of hot tea. I like the flavored, herbal teas. They seem to help in non-eating time.

I do have snacks that include some salt and some sugar. That also seems to help me have less 'cravings' for my favorite foods.

I hope that I helped a little, but I am not a nutritionist or expert on the subject of dieting...though I should be, after a life time of being fat and trying to lose weight.

Try your plan, Sis. Keep me (if not everyone on MFP) notified on how you are doing. Not everyone will chew you up for asking for help or advice. However, there are some folks who are sensitive to the words like vegan, vegetarian, and fat (true or not...it still hurts.). Just take what you read with a grain of salt. :smile:

One person used the word 'idiot' (really not nice).

I do wish that folks on MFP would stop, before they attack someone who is just getting started. We all come here 'like babies learning to walk'. Calling people bad names does not help anyone. Noone on MFP is so perfect that they should be the judge of others or use newcomers as target for their cruel words. It doesn't help anyone, if you just post insults. Slow down and think before you hurt each other.

Consider the newcomers to MFP as a child needing encouragement not rebuke. Would you call a child an idiot, because that baby could not walk more than a few steps, when they first try? When a toddler falls down, would you stand over them and yell insults...or pick them up and help them try again? Newcomers to MFP often have no clue about any diets, BMR, TDEE or how to even begin. Be gentle and thoughtful of your comments please. :flowerforyou:
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Hmn.
  • winterswish
    Options

i have a desk job, and i barely exercise, so 1300 calories is not that small. the days i have a 1000 is more about cleansing. im not a pescatarian, i eat salmon. no other sea food. i'm mostly a vegan like i said, i never said i was one, id like to be one,. but i cant cok very well.

My guess is the OP got the dose of inflammatory responses they were looking for, but just in case she decides to drop back in...let's clear this one up hon:
    If you eat any fish, even if only salmon, and no other animal products, you are a pescatarian. It would be like me saying I'm not a dog owner, I just have this one Rottweiler.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I see no reason why you shouldn't try it out and see what your results are.

I will caution you about one free day per week. If you're anything like me, you can completely un-do all your good work in one day, plus after a free day, I have a hard time getting back into a routine.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    "Ummm first of all that's not even vegetarian let alone vegan."

I'm aware. But I have to have my salmon, haven't found an affordable replacement for cheese and eggs. What do you suggest? and if you say tofu please back it up with a recipe that is EXTREMELY easy to follow.

1 Block of Firm tofu, sliced in half like a steak thickness
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon mirin/white wine vinegar/rice wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic.

Combine all ingredients in a zip lock bag, let marinade for at least 30 mins for flavour to penetrate.

Grill and serve however you like, with veggies, mash sweet potato is one of my favs or in a burger etc. Super easy.

I can't wait to try this!!! but I'm gonna replace the Soy Sauce with Bragg's Amino Acids, because Soy Sauce has too high of sodium, and I'm gonna drop the honey and replace it with some liquid stevia..

Sounds delicious!

Thank you!

Woops, forgot that honey isn't vegan :drinker:

You could use agave syrup as well.

That recipe can work with pretty much anything, take out the soy and add PB for satay or add in any herbs/spices you like. Firm tofu is my favourite because it's more chewy and makes me feel fuller.

i don't mind honey, it just gives me headaches, probably because its spike the blood sugar. but agave is a good idea. thanks.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    This is just getting funny!

If you've got such great willpower, how'd you put on so much weight?

I put on weight because I lack the willpower to say no to temptation! You appear to be digging a verrrryyy big hole for yourself.

People on here are trying to HELP you. That's why you posted - right?

because i used to drink a lot and smoke a lot. and basically just not care. but i quit smoking, and drinking and i also quit apathy. that's how i know i have amazing willpower. some people are trying to help me, other people are just really rude and most likely suffering from depression.
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some people need strict rules to help them succeed.
    I say -what the heck- give it a try....you can always modify the 1000 cal days to 1200 if you find you are too hungry or too weak to exercise.
    Good Luck :happy:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Then it sounds like what is lacking is education. Educate yourself and you will have more success.

https://api.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read this, follow the directions, and you will learn a lot. :)

OP - I can see that you are looking at and commenting on the responses to your post but you seem to have missed this one.

You asked for our opinions on your plan and this is mine - have a read of the Roadmap and search the forums for all the people who have lost weight using it. It's simple, it's based on simple maths and science and it works. And you won't have to starve yourself on 1,000 calories a day to make it happen.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I really feel like your plan is a lot more complicated than it needs to be. I think you are best off to stick to a set amount of calories per day, the same each day. E.g. 1200,1300, 1400, etc. Whatever is comfortable for you whilst still creating a deficit.
    If you are into the idea of changing it up, follow the 5:2 fast diet plan. I know you've tried to create something similar but it's very complicated and when you are looking for advice (which we all do) you wont have as many people who can give you advice from experience or who will be able to understand/follow what you are doing to help you out.
    Also, 5:2 seems to work really well for the people who have followed it through, so why not just follow it exactly how they have?
    Sometimes, you don't need to really over think these things, you just have to commit to stuff that is tried and tested as working!

I understand you have a lot of restrictions on your diet as it is, so I really think you'd be best off making this part of it as simple as possible.
  • nancyfl682
    Options
    The only thing that can help curve food cravings is brushing your teeth. I also heard that if you walk for 10 mins or drink a glass a water it should help reduce the cravings. For me, at least at home brushing my teeth helps discourage me from eating bad stuff and at work its chewing mint gum + glass of water.
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You have to be willing to cook better foods if you want to lose weight.
    I know its hard and you want the easy way out, you obvisouly sound super busy, sometimes "super busy" is an excuse... but if you aren't willing to spend AT LEAST 30 min working out and around 30 minutes to prepare healthier foods everyday then it won't work out for you.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be an effective and healthy plan for you. It is good that you are researching--still, it sounds like a design created for a some distant ideal. If you want to try this go ahead for 2 weeks or 2 months and judge not only by weight lost. Include energy level, mood, hair texture, skin tone, body shape, and may even some blood work stats (before & after). I disagree that excess weight is the ultimate factor in determining state-of-health. If you have a couple more days, I would suggest that redesign your health-improvement launch with things you know to be true about your body now.

For example, you mentioned cravings. Define them and map them. Begin using MFP now to see if the cravings come-on monthly; due to stress or boredom; occur after a string of lots of dairy days or days packed with starchy carbs or days where you just are not eating enough protein or good fats.

Secondly, you outlined that you want to vegan. There are many good things about vegan diets. Foremost, is presence of fresh vegetables, legumes, nuts & seed, and fruits, of which a portion are eaten raw. Doing it organically is also fitting. With conscious weekly meal planning you can get enough protein, as well as vitamins & minterals, and the high fiber count will be rewarded on many fronts. But cravings and vegan diet are not compatible. Take care of the cravings first--otherwise, you are setting yourself up for failure, rather than a good ole college try.

Thirdly, just to let you know, their are healthy omnivore diets out there too (includes animal products in conservative quantities). What healthy omnivore diets share with vegan diets is the presence of fresh organic vegetables, legumes, nuts & seeds, and fruits and some whole grains too. Excess Sugar, processed foods, pre-packaged foods are not a part of any healthy diet.

Hint1: whatever healthy diet you choose--if the full and satiated feeling has you loading up on starchy carbs (breads, pasta:, etc) and cheese, TRY LEGUMES. Black Turtle Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Lentils, Cannelli Beans all can be cooked into savory, satisfying, and filling dishes.

Hint2: Flavor Flavor. All your foods should taste fabulous. Here are some spices to have on hand: bay leaf, garlic, cumin, curry or masala blend, ground ancho chili, black pepper, fenogreek, oregano, savory, tumeric, spanish smoked paprika, and a good sea or mineral salt. Recipe suggestion: Soak a quantiy of trimmed brussel sprouts in cool water to hydrate them a little. Pat them dry and put them in a recycled plastic bag with less than a tablespoon of olive oil + 1/4tsp black pepper + 1tsp salt + smoked paprika. Shake and Roll the bag to coat the vegetable evenly. Then lay them out on a cookie sheet and discard the bag. Roast in an oven at 300F for about 20-30 minutes. I do the same with parboiled cauliflower florets using indian spices and cubed parboiled rutabaga with ground cumin. Delicious!

Hint3 I also recommend that you find your favorite healthy fats. Not only are mushrooms sauteed in butter or olive oil + garlic & pinch of salt appetizing when served along side a large portion of wilted spinach greens, they are filling. Sesame seed oil and coconut oil are my other favorite fats. Good fats may be key to helping tame a craving, too.

Fourthly, Yeh, I keep on coming back to "craving". While you are taming it and afterwards, drinking plenty of plain filtered (8-12 glasses) daily is fitting for any healthy diet and weightloss plan.

Finally: I am so glad you mentioned exercising. MFP friends has really inspired me to up the expectations I had for myself, when it came to physical output. I think you are right-on by pacing yourself and beginning modestly. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself in a couple of months wanting to bump it up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    OP - I can see that you are looking at and commenting on the responses to your post but you seem to have missed this one.

That must've been from one of those rude or depressed or fat persons.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried that if you have a bad day or something happens on your days were you are being stricter that you wont want to keep trying.

Are you an all or none person?

How flexible are you?

All organic how do you define that and how will you determine that?

Honestly, I would start small portion control and logging is one of the best and most underrated tools of weight loss.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I didn't call myself a vegetarian or vegan...I said Mostly. other then eggs, when I'm broke, salmon, and cheese on occation, I don't eat animals or animal products.

The point is you can't really be "mostly" vegetarian. If you don't eat dead animals (or live ones I guess) then you're vegetarian. If you eat salmon then you're not. You don't need to give up cheese or eggs to be vegetarian (although you need to check what the cheese is made of).

Easy tofu recipe.

Buy tofu.
    Eat with spoon.

Would I do it? No. But I don't have the willpower to stick to 1000 calories a day either.

But you can be vegetarian without eating tofu. I don't particularly like it myself. I'm not however vegan because I eat eggs and cheese.

I believe Pescetarian is the word she's looking for.

This is the major flaw with this plan, the OP NEEDS a cheat day because the rest of the week is so strict. I don't need a cheat day because I eat at a sensible level and if I want something unhealthy, I fit it in.

What the hell do I know, though. I'm fat.

Yeah, cheat days are notorious pit falls to weight loss.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    I agree ...you need to re-think the fat comment.

But - as to your diet plan. May work in the short term, but my fear is that if you "mess up" on your routine it could cause some anxiety, and that is the real killer. When you're stressed, the hormone cortisol will bring things to a grinding halt. If you are too strict then you set yourself up for failure and dissappointment.

I've lost the same 40 pounds 3 times trying every fad diet out there, low carb, food combining, low calorie... every time it came back and then some once I started eating even "sensibly". The body has a way of defending itself for survival.... with too low a calorie diet it will slow down metabolism to compensate and then if you eat the same amount you won't lose.

Your idea seems similar to the "military 3 day diet" I've been reading about here. Works for some not for others. I don't see a problem with giving it a try for a week or two to "jump start" but I agree it's not sustainable for the long haul.

As for vegetarian cooking ... there are some really good cook books out there. Look for one that has some chapters on how to become vegtarian/vegan and to make balanced meals. The biggest problem for vegs is the lack of B vitamins (B12 in particular, which comes from animals mostly) Be sure to get those levels checked - you may need a supplement.

I don't have any regrets. If I lived like that I'd have to go to church or something. If people are offended, that's THEIR problem, not mine. If someone provoked me to talk ****, that's also not my fault. You reap what you sow.

my plan is only for short term. I would never do that long term. It's to drop the initial 50 so I can focus on maintaining not dropping. Dropping is much more daunting. Maintaining is fun.

I was worried about the B12 thing. I'll have to check with my aunt on that one she's a neuroscientist. .

Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.