General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with wanting to be slim and not left for 'tone'
    is lifting advice is given it is to people who are asking for suggestions because they are NOT content.

I lift, but not "heavy".. but heavy for ME. usually 10-30#s. I might go up. last time I went up it aggravated my heart (I get tachycardias easily)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with wanting to be slim and not left for 'tone'
    is lifting advice is given it is to people who are asking for suggestions because they are NOT content.

I lift, but not "heavy".. but heavy for ME. usually 10-30#s. I might go up. last time I went up it aggravated my heart (I get tachycardias easily)
    Welcome to my world. i think I got it from my mom (she has it too). I managed to get my resting down from 110bpm but moving spikes it way way up. Ironically enough I think the best thing I've done to bring my resting rate down was hike long 'expert' hiking trails. It took forever for me to be able to do one without feeling like I'm going to die in the woods but I got there. When I stopped that I picked up strength training and so far my resting is still regular. The only kick is I always require a longer rest period then my friends because I start to feel my heart spike suddenly if I don't. I wouldn't have picked up anything over 30 lbs before because without a doubt I would pass out but I don't have a problem with it now. Take it slow, progress, but if someone tells you to push yourself past where you're comfortable play dead and they'll never tell you that again haha.

I wonder if we burn more calories then the average person.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world. i think I got it from my mom (she has it too). I managed to get my resting down from 110bpm but moving spikes it way way up. Ironically enough I think the best thing I've done to bring my resting rate down was hike long 'expert' hiking trails. It took forever for me to be able to do one without feeling like I'm going to die in the woods but I got there. When I stopped that I picked up strength training and so far my resting is still regular. The only kick is I always require a longer rest period then my friends because I start to feel my heart spike suddenly if I don't. I wouldn't have picked up anything over 30 lbs before because without a doubt I would pass out but I don't have a problem with it now. Take it slow, progress, but if someone tells you to push yourself past where you're comfortable play dead and they'll never tell you that again haha.

I got it from my mom, too. hers is either worse or she complains more (general consensus is she just complains more)
    I can now take a 2 mile brisk walk (4.25MPH). jogging is still out of the question, though I have been doing really short jog spurts sometimes. 30 seconds is my limit. BUT it is all improvement. so I may get to longer/faster... and I can do more reps with more weights than when I started.. I do plan on 'real weights' soon. but I do feel my wimpy weights are working really well.
    the last time I did real weights on a bar, about 50# deadlifts and stuff, not only did my heart RACE but I had a pressure/pain in my heart too, my trainer seemed to think chest pressure/pain was not good. so I backed off and working very very slowly to increasing.

I hear ya on the long recovery time! It's why I work out at home and not in a gym. I can't do the full workout at once. it takes me most the day in 10 minute intervals to get a workout in.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I got it from my mom, too. hers is either worse or she complains more (general consensus is she just complains more)
    I can now take a 2 mile brisk walk (4.25MPH). jogging is still out of the question, though I have been doing really short jog spurts sometimes. 30 seconds is my limit. BUT it is all improvement. so I may get to longer/faster... and I can do more reps with more weights than when I started.. I do plan on 'real weights' soon. but I do feel my wimpy weights are working really well.
    the last time I did real weights on a bar, about 50# deadlifts and stuff, not only did my heart RACE but I had a pressure/pain in my heart too, my trainer seemed to think chest pressure/pain was not good. so I backed off and working very very slowly to increasing.

I hear ya on the long recovery time! It's why I work out at home and not in a gym. I can't do the full workout at once. it takes me most the day in 10 minute intervals to get a workout in.
    I can relate to the pressure pains. Haven't had them in forever. You just made me realize how much I've progressed. Thank you. And I was in the exact same situation and hope you can do it to. I've seen numbers as low as 65 bpm recently and before 98 was a victory. Gluck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It's the closest thing that will ever be to the Fountain of Youth. If you care about maintaining a high quality of life in your later years without depending on others for the most basic every day chores such as feeding, changing clothes and bathing, then lifting weights, or strength training in general, is going to accomplish that.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

THIS!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Besides the numerous health benefits that have already been discussed....

It just makes me feel like a total bad-a**.

That's reason enough right there.

It does, doesn't it?

On rest days, I feel like this:

fat-stomach.jpg

After I set a new PR on the deadlift I feel like this:

425.the.incredible.hulk.033108.jpg

ilu for using this hulk and not the newest one

and ia - I'm just now beginning a serious lifting program and it feels very rewarding to finish a set or exercise with heavier weights :-)
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Reading this was exhausting. Yet I kept reading.

I am personally not interested at this time in "heavy lifting" with weights. What I am interested in is continuing with my 3-4x week yoga that I started a month ago so I can look like 95% of the women in my classes. (it's a serious all yoga gym).

They look lean and amazing. I am already seeing a nice difference. And if my muscle soreness is any indication, it's a bigger difference than I can even see.

(btw I burned 805 cal in a one hour hatha class and a 4.5 mile walk home today according to my HRM....5"9', 150 lbs)

Happy lifting or whatever your heart desires my friends!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I did a balance of both for years and years (30 years), with the help of trainers in my gyms and fitness centers. I still got osteoarthritis, and it has slowed me down to nothing but easy cardio. some people are lucky that the lifting works for them and protects them. All I do is, in my case, is ask "why".
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's the closest thing that will ever be to the Fountain of Youth. If you care about maintaining a high quality of life in your later years without depending on others for the most basic every day chores such as feeding, changing clothes and bathing, then lifting weights, or strength training in general, is going to accomplish that.

I'm calling bullcrap on that. Yes, lifting can help maintain bone density and overall strength. But people have strokes, they get dementia. Lifting weights won't stop that.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I'm calling bullcrap on that. Yes, lifting can help maintain bone density and overall strength. But people have strokes, they get dementia. Lifting weights won't stop that.

I don't think that was the original argument...
    (btw I burned 805 cal in a one hour hatha class and a 4.5 mile walk home today according to my HRM....5"9', 150 lbs)
    There's a very good chance your HRM is giving you an inaccurate reading as they are designed to be estimates for steady state cardio (like the walk portion) not things like yoga. I'm not trying to say yoga's bad for you, I think it's very good for you, but unless your walk was more of a run I think you may be overestimating your calorie burn.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Benefits of weight training? Being able to carry your 5 year old in the wind, in Washington DC, for 20 minutes, uphill....because he just can't walk any more. STRONG MOMMY! :laugh:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Most of the "slim, toned, dancer's bodies" that people want come from lifting is the thing. If you don't like lifting, then don't do it, but if aesthetics is stopping you, then think twice. Most of those fitspo girls on Pinterest lift. Heck, you think Jillian Michaels got her body just from 30 Day Shred? Please!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's like saying... "what about all of those people that died in car accidents, lifting weights didn't help them!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    who wants to be skinny fat?

Ladies if you lift heavier weights you are not going to turn into Andre the Giant LOL ...I personally think that a tone and athletic female is HOT....
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Its not about being slim. Its about being toned. Yeah you can do cardio all day but all the moves you do during strength training will help you in your day to day life. You will have bags of groceries to pick up. Or a child to pick up or move something heavy from one end to another. Think of it as a way to get the body prepared in case of those instances you have to use muscle and you wont get hurt in the process.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh this is a good article for this topic..

train like a main look like a goddess - www.leangains.com
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's like saying... "what about all of those people that died in car accidents, lifting weights didn't help them!"

Both sets of my grandparents lived well into their 90s, and stayed at home until "natural causes" kicked in. They never lifted a weight in their life aside from normal day to day activities, and I am sure both of my grandmothers would be appalled at the very notion that they would need weights to achieve the independence at their ages that they had. My gram made and ate cookies and pastries every day of her awesome life, bless her spoli-the-grandkids soul.

Lifting may help in the long run, for us less "manual labor" folks but in general it is obnoxious to call it the next best thing to the fountain of youth.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

I don't think weight lifting does anything that yoga wouldn't also accomplish if your goal isn't to bulk up. Yoga is super strengthening.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

No, it won't, but I'd rather be a strong healthy person recovering from a stroke than a weak frail one.

But the post above mine just reminded me... I had a friend who was a bodybuilder/fitness competitor. He got in a horrible car accident many years ago (before airbags and seat belt laws) when hit head-on by a drunk driver. The doctors said if he hadn't had such strong abdominal muscles, the impact into the steering wheel would have killed him.