General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Who is to say you won't have achieved perfection? How could anyone be perfect without contentment?

That is lovely. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen all the pictures in the thread (and not the belly dancer posted earlier). I wasn't talking about every possible dancer anyway; I was talking about the dancers in my head. I have a DVD of belly dancers performing, and their bodies look very different from the bodies of weight lifters that I've seen posted around the forum here.

Again - I haven't seen all of them, but I did know that there are hard muscled dancers and less hard muscled lifters. I've seen a few examples of both in this thread.

If I didn't want to be able to dig out rocks and move heavy things around in the wheelbarrow to do landscaping projects, I don't think I'd do much weight lifting. I'd still practice belly dancing.

There are belly dancers that include weight training in their exercise regiment too.

But what you are basically saying is that nothing anyone says, shows you or proves to you matters. That realizing dancers of any type, including belly dancers, do weight training or that including weight training doesn't mean you are going to be "hard" or "bulky"...matters because the dancers in your head don't do that so you won't listen because you already have this notion of what you believe to be right.

Okay..gotcha. Moving on....

Hmm, I inferred that she was saying one or two pics of individuals who happen to be dancers and look different than what she normally pictures in her mind when someone says "dancers body" doesn't change the picture in her mind. Or the fact that she'd prefer the body of the typical belly dancer in her mind.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This is why I love lifting...

A few months ago, I junk picked this old trunk on the side of the road.

264902_3789479167912_465428978_n.jpg

I felt like She-Rah that I was able to pick it up and put it in the back of my truck by myself.

This is how it looked refinished:

IMG_5634.jpg

I was using it as a coffee table, but it's a little too high, and the cats like to sit on it RIGHT in my line of vision if I lay down to watch tv. I wanted to take it upstairs. Problem? It didn't fit through the opening at the landing at the bottom of the stairs, because whoever built my house was a complete idiot and made things non-standard sizes. To take it up the steps, I had to lift it up OVER the railing, which means lifting it over my head. Granted, I could have been less stubborn and waited until my husband got home, but that's just not like me. :wink:

So, yeah... thanks to lifting, I can pick up a trunk made of wood and tin, measuring 40" long, 25" deep, 27" high, over my head by myself.

And I thought I felt like She-Rah before... :smile:

I love this story. I lift because sometimes I need to pick up heavy things, and it makes me feel awesome when I can manage to get them without help.

I keep thinking about the last time I moved. I hadn't done any working out and it was impossible. I was winded going up and down the stairs. I could hardly lift small boxes of books. I felt like such a wuss trying to help my SO get furniture upstairs. We are trying to buy a house in 1 to 2 years, and I want to be able to pick up the heavy boxes and help with the furniture without stopping to rest every five minutes!

For me, it's not about what my body looks like. It's about what I want my body to be able to do.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

I'm a dancer and I also lift weights (heavy for me). My body is still a dancer's body. Just letting you know it does not conflict. They are compliments (as long as I take care of my injuries and do not over train). But, still, I do appreciate when people say they like the dancer's body look, as it is my body type.
  • SimplyAG
    SimplyAG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this could be avoided if we called it STRENGTH TRAINING an not HEAVY LIFTING. IMHO.:wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this could be avoided if we called it STRENGTH TRAINING an not HEAVY LIFTING. IMHO.:wink:

No, because a lot of people think 50 reps with 5-lb dumbbells is "Strength training." That's why people use "lifting heavy."
  • bcattoes
    Options

I used to think that too. But it didn't take me long to realize there are some on this site that will argue the only choices are skinny/weak or heavy lifting until the cows come home.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    One thing that I feel needs to be said on a lot of these threads and to clear up many misconceptions. There is a huge realm of options that exists in between lifting 3 pound weights and lifting two and half times your own body weight. Sometimes it seems like people think it is either one or the other.

You can start lifting as heavy as you can safely (while learning) and continue to progress. Some people progress more quickly because it is their prime focus and they have great form and do not have injuries or genetic problems to deal with. Other people choose to go slower because they are physically occupied with other endeavors that involve the body, they are not well trained in that specific form, and they have injuries or genetic issues to deal with. It's all fine. As long as people are strength training consistently and continuing to make progress forward it is better than not doing it at all. And there are many different ways to strength train if you have skills in other areas that involve strength progression. A combination of weights and body weight exercises can be great, and for me it is essential. I could not be a good dancer if I gave up on my dance training just because it did not involve weights (although it often does involve lifting other people). I also lift weights. I benefit from it all.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    They say that strength training is the number one way to slow down the aging process.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One thing that I feel needs to be said on a lot of these threads and to clear up many misconceptions. There is a huge realm of options that exists in between lifting 3 pound weights and lifting two and half times your own body weight. Sometimes it seems like people think it is either one or the other.

You can start lifting as heavy as you can safely (while learning) and continue to progress. Some people progress more quickly because it is their prime focus and they have great form and do not have injuries or genetic problems to deal with. Other people choose to go slower because they are physically occupied with other endeavors that involve the body, they are not well trained in that specific form, and they have injuries or genetic issues to deal with. It's all fine. As long as people are strength training consistently and continuing to make progress forward it is better than not doing it at all. And there are many different ways to strength train if you have skills in other areas that involve strength progression. A combination of weights and body weight exercises can be great, and for me it is essential. I could not be a good dancer if I gave up on my dance training just because it did not involve weights (although it often does involve lifting other people). I also lift weights. I benefit from it all.

One of the best posts of the thread so far!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't care. :) That's how I feel.

And if you do indeed get slim, which I get the impression won't happen given your attitude, you'll just stop there and be happy?

You're so sweet.

Yup. When I lose the weight I want to lose, I will be content where I am instead of constantly chasing perfection.

I thought that way. Heck, I still think that way to a degree. I'm not going to kill myself trying to run a 20 minute 5k. I'm not going to give up pizza for 15% body fat.

But when I reached my initial weight loss goal, I was so amazed at what I'd already accomplished that I never thought possible, that I thought, "Why not see what else I can do?" I was amazed when I could just run a 5k, then amazed when I could run a 5k at a 9 minute mile pace. Then amazed when I could run one at about an 8 minute mile pace. I was amazed when I could bench press half my body weight, then amazed when I could bench press 75% of my body weight. I'd like to see if I could get to 100%.

For me, it's not about chasing perfection, but about exceeding my expectations and pushing through what I thought were my limits.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just want a slim body. I don't care if it's toned. I don't care if it's perfect. I just want to be slimmer then I am.

I think people get too obsessed with body fat % and **** that I just couldn't care less about.

My motto? To each his/her own! If you wanna lift - great! Good for you.
    If you don't wanna lift but are still trying to lose weight - great! Good for you!

Either way you're going to be healthier then you are as an overweight person so go for it!!! I'll support people either way.

I dunno. I'm morbidly obese, and I bet I'm healthier than a lot of people who weigh less than me because I exercise and lift. You do need an attitude change to survive this, and you might get one along the way. Nobody is ready to really take charge of their body until they are ready. All the passive aggressive back and fourth comments in the world wont work until that person is ready to change.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    lots of reps will do the same
    If that were true, marathon runners, who do a billion gajillion shabadabaloo-illion reps, would look totally ridiculous with huge hulk legs and twig arms. They'd have to run bowlegged to keep their monstrous thighs from starting a fire.

I'm not a womens but I definitely appreciate being able to take a 35 pound kid and hold him out at full arms length (to put him in his car seat or take him out) without feeling like my shoulders and lower back are going to rip apart. That was how it was before I started strength training.
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I dunno..I did Crossfit for a while, and there were some freakin stacked, yoked, bad azz chicks in there. And lean. But yes, some were bulky in my opinion. No, they didn't look like the ballerinas posted above.

Genetics. Not all the long time CF girls were bulky, but yes, some had significantly more muscle mass. More than I would want. Not that I probably would have because of MY genetics. And I probably won't look like the ballerina either. :laugh: :tongue:

But I digress, I don't think you can tell every woman that they won't bulk up past their comfort point simply because they are a woman and that we should all lift as heavy as possible because it can't happen. It can.

I found this program out there. FTR, I didn't buy it, nor do I have any connection to it, but there is a market out there for women who don't want to bulk.
    http://visualimpactforwomen.com/
  • SimplyAG
    Options

No, because a lot of people think 50 reps with 5-lb dumbbells is "Strength training." That's why people use "lifting heavy."

While I agree with your previous posts...When people use the term heavy lifting or lifting heavy it makes me think of my husband and his cousins who try to outlift each other, some can bench over 300 lbs. Stength training is more what my sisters and I do, not to see how much we can push our bodies but to look leaner.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bumping to read when i have time
  • bcattoes
    Options

While I agree with your previous posts...When people use the term heavy lifting or lifting heavy it makes me think of my husband and his cousins who try to outlift each other, some can bench over 300 lbs. Stength training is more what my sisters and I do, not to see how much we can push our bodies but to look leaner.

Actually, both those are strength training. Any exercise that improves strength is strength training. This includes weights that strain your muscles, no matter how heavy, as well as resistance bands, calisthenics, plyometrics, boxing and others. There are a lot of ways to strength train.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yawn:yawn: You do you and I'll keep doing me.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I was having a great deal of pain from my back. I tried everything I could think of (which wasn't much-- I was in my early 20s), and then turned to dumbells. Somehow the lifting of dumbells fixed my back problem. I still enjoy weights but now I'm using kettlebells.
  • SimplyAG
    Options

Actually, both those are strength training. Any exercise that improves strength is strength training. This includes weights that strain your muscles, no matter how heavy, as well as resistance bands, calisthenics, plyometrics, boxing and others. There are a lot of ways to strength train.
    Well thats what I think about when I read the term ...just me though. The important thing is we all keep on our journey. Keep doing what works for you and don't worry about anyone else.