(To the ladies) Is it really for us? C'mon man........

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
So I dropped by a friend of mine in town yesterday to give him a sweat shirt he left at the gym and stayed for about 15 min. His wife came out during that time in a new outfit asking "How does it look?" And me and the friend answer "Looks good" and then she left. He commented that she had just spent $150 on that one outfit. I said that it wasn't bad for "going out" wear. He said it was for daily "work wear". He then put his head down and shook it, "you should see how much she spends on hair, manicures and pedicures. Why the hell do you think I work so much?" Then we both started laughing out loud. He said, "I don't need all the fancy getup stuff. She says she dresses up and all but says she does it for me. If she really wanted to do something for me..........she could just make a sandwich!" We bust up again. We man hug and I split.

So really, when you say it's for us, it's really for you right? Personally I don't care how my DW spends her money and what she wants to spend it on as long as it doesn't put a financial strain on us or stops us from saving money. But I do hear a lot about the saying "we do it for you" when it comes to clothing. C'mon man.............be honest. It's really for you and everyone else right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Not for you. I dress up for the other ladies (most of the time).
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty independent after being a lone gem for almost 4 years... my bf and I have been together for almost 2 now and refuse to let him pay for me. I have a job, a very well paying job. Why do I need him to pay for my clothes? He pays for dinner, he brings me wine and food and snacks if I want them, which I appreciate, but for me to pay $150 for an outfit, sure I will do it - OUT OF MY POCKET because I worked for it!

Oh yeah and I don't wear makeup during the week at work - ever - because I go to the gym. When I see my bf, I have nice clothes and make up on and I do my hair. So, I guess you can say I do dress up for him :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    definitely not for you. I do me for me. Always have. Always will.
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's my money... I do it for me!
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dress up for me, but I do put a lot more effort in what im wearing and makeup and hair when I am going to go out or I am going to see my boyfriend.

Come on...YOU be honest, would you really want your gf or wife wearing jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts all the time?
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I try to look nice for my guy especially when we're out and about, but I know in reality he has no inkling of a difference between Mossimo and Gucci. It's more to feel good about myself and out dress the other ladies :drinker: Though I definitely do not like to look slovenly with him. I'd probably live in my bathrobe and sweats if I were single. So it's a little of both.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Nope... all my pink, manicured toes, waxed brows, and color changes... all me. LOL I feel way cuter when I am put together.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I like to look nice for me and for him.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Now I've always wanted to present myself nicely so he's proud to be with me and I make him look good.
    But mostly, it's for me.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For me, personally. I like being put together, polished. My man just gets to enjoy it! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've always been the higher or sole bread-winner so I've always bought my own clothes, and often previous partner's too. I'm seriously broke now, so even spending £40 would cause me to weep a little.

Have you ever considered that women "do it for you" because you give them positive reinforcement? I'd be happy to hear I have enough shoes if the cash was going into savings for holiday instead, for instance.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I do it for him, which in essence is doing it for me, because when he notices, I get all warm and fuzzy inside.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I dress up for me, but I do put a lot more effort in what im wearing and makeup and hair when I am going to go out or I am going to see my boyfriend.

Come on...YOU be honest, would you really want your gf or wife wearing jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts all the time?

My wife looks great in pajamas. she looks great in sweatshirts. she looks great in tshirts. and she looks great when she dresses up.

it matters not one ounce to me what she is wearing.

except when she's not wearing anything...
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do it so i feel good about myself BUT I just had this convo with my husband and I said we also do it so you will be proud to have us by your side and I think this should go both ways (not the amount of $$ on things/hair etc) BUT just the taking pride in your appearance for yourself and your SO
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    We don't have enough income to warrant clothes on a 'pleasure' basis, they have to be practical either for the office, outdoor pursuits such as dog walking or camping, or suitable for working out. If I can find a garment that covers all three of those I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.
    My husband would prefer me to walk through the door wearing a bin liner but holding a nice bottle of wine for us to enjoy...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If girls are buying expensive outfits for work, and they probably don't work together.. then its either she is dressing up to look good for another guy.. or she is spending that money to impress the girls in the office or to look more important by buying expensive outfits.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If girls are buying expensive outfits for work, and they probably don't work together.. then its either she is dressing up to look good for another guy.. or she is spending that money to impress the girls in the office or to look more important by buying expensive outfits.

If she works in an office it might be mandatory - I see it with the execs at my company. I'm a hoodie and lulu's today - so I don't count as an exec :)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I like to look good for the man, but when I am drooling over cute dresses in my goal size, yeah, not thinking about him. Even when I buy lingerie it's a good 75% about what I want
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When a man is taking me out, and I dress up, it's for him. I want people that see us to think that he has a hot chick, not that he's dating down.

But at home, I'm a total "sweats and t-shirt" kind of girl.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I've always heard women dress for other women lol me, personally? I dress for myself!