Found money...what would you do?

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be the bigger person and say I'd hand it in, but I really don't think I would. £11,000 would sort a lot of problems.

I wouldn't be that stupid to carry around £11,000 with me however, and even if I was, I'd guard it with my life!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would keep it. I may be a terrible person for that, but, if the bag didn't have an address or a phone number, I would LOVE to pay off my car......

Ditto. I couldn't keep it if it had an owner I could find. However, I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to find a random owner when there's no information on the bag. I would have just kept it.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If there was identification of the person that lost it, then I would get a hold of them.

If not, IT'S MINE

This!

I am originally from Detroit where there were sooo many crooked city officials who stole city money, etc. At this point, I would not have faith that the police officer I gave it to wouldn't keep it for himself and not look for the rightful owner. So, I would sooo keep it for myself.
  • lizp114
    lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    times are hard gor alot of people and you never know what that money is needed for..I sure would want someone to return my money if it was missing and found..so I would return it and pray I get a nice cash reward if possible lol
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say if whoever it was was carrying that large amount instead of having it in a bank then it's most likely dirty money.

And I love me some dirty money.

I'd keep it, now if it was in a bank envelope and had bills with it or was in a company deposit bag, I'd turn it in, BC someone could lose their job over that. I don't want that hanging over my head.
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I kept it. I would want someone to do the same thing if I were to loss a large amount of money like that.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've found money twice and both times turned it in. Extra money is always nice, but not worth having it on my conscience wondering who lost it and how much that money meant to them (did they need it for their kid's sake? etc). If the security guard and bank employee I handed over the money to ended up pocketing it, well, that's on them. At least I can sleep easy.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    When I've found money blowing down the street (biggest I've found was a 20 dollar bill -- it's pretty windy where I live), unless there is someone chasing it or asking about it, I keep it, and the same for any change I find.

I've found wallets a couple of times, and tracked the person down. Didn't look for anything other than ID, so can't tell you how much money.

At an auction once, I was looking through a box of old linens and found a 100 dollar bill...turned it into the auctioneer who stated he was going to stick it in some random box after the auction start and someone would get a surprise...probably should have kept it, they were amazed that I didn't...but it just wouldn't have been right!

So yes, it's very likely I'd turn it in.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I found a church envelope on a sidewalk (not near a church) with $4 in it. There was a name and address on it, so I dried it out and mailed it to them.

I could tell they were elderly by the note I received back in the mail (we all know grandma's penmanship!), and they were thankful. :smile: It's not just the amount of money.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I would turn it in. When I was 18 I was bartending and found a cigarrette case with $600 in it. I turned it in, and got a $20 reward. My dad said the typical "See, honesty pays" I replied bulls***, an hour ago I had $600, now I have $20. But I felt good about myself.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'd never sleep again if I kept it, but I probably would leave it where it was. As someone who notoriously loses things, I am pretty good at retracing my steps, and I know too well that horrible feeling of going back to where you left something and it is no longer there.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Depends what mood I'm in. :tongue:
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd keep it...if they are stupid enough to lose that amount of money, I'm not going to be stupid enough to try and find out who it belongs to.

My thoughts exactly!
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    I would turn it in and not even think about it! It's not mine!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i believe in Karma so I would return it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I would turn it in. That could save someone's livelihood.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I would turn it in I don't need it and they might.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i would wait a few hours at the spot i found it, with the money in hand. if no one comes to claim it after a few hours, i'm keeping that money! if you can't keep up with that much money and just leave it laying around, you obviously wouldn't spend it correctly. i've got student loans ya'll, dont judge!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I would turn it in I don't need it and they might.

Exactly. $11,000 isn't going to change my life in any way, but it very well might for the person who lost it. It could mean their house, braces for their children, car repairs so they can get to work, etc etc etc.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    $11,000 is not even the amount I could do anything extra with. That I would give back. Now.. iIf it was the kind of money that I could buy like an island with on the Mediterranean Sea now that would be different...