What to do with all those egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Why throw away all the nutrients and just eat empty protein calories?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Aioli! Admittedly not diet friendly.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fantastic for you in their complete form. Do not toss the yolk!!! EAT IT!!!

The whole myth of yolks increasing cholesterol has been around forever, but it is simply not true.

The International Journal of Cardiology:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527304001391

One of the many articles:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/04/13/egg-myths.aspx

Yep. Here's another. http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/7301/description/Reevaluating_Eggs_Cholesterol_Risks

The link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is minimal, unless you're one the the few people that's overly sensitive. OP, I think you'll find the best thing you can do to reduce your risk or heart attack is lose weight. Your cholesterol level will more than likely come down as the weight comes off and as you (hopefully), start eating a more nutrient rich diet full of lots of minimally processed plants and animals. (esp. bacon... mmmm bacon.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I never thougth about putting them in with the dog's dry food - she would probably love it and it would help her coat.

I am trying to keep my cholesterol in check so the doctor will take me off medication when I go back for my annual physical in a couple of months. The last time I had blood work done my cholesterol was in the higher end of the normal range so he wanted me to stay on a low dose. I am trying to get rid of all medications (blood pressure which is genetic and cholesterol).

If you are trying to watch your cholesterol...I would look at using egg beaters (except of course when you are making deviled eggs..lol). Egg beaters tastes just like eggs but with less cholesterol.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eat em! If your cholesterol is high, I'm willing to bet its not from the eggs. Just limit to 1-2 a day.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to keep the calories low, give them to the dog as has been mentioned.

My dog is pretty good at catching food out of the air, so can usually chuck one up for him to catch, but last time I did one for him - not so good as it splatted all over his head!
    Should have thought and got a picture; amused me :).
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Eggs definitely do not contribute to good cholesterol and do have the potential to make your cholesterol worse.

You might check this out:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

We do half and half eggs with and without yolks. The extra yolks go into the compost. I'd give them to the dog if it I had one - I doubt the cat would eat them.

I wouldn't recommend giving raw egg yolks to pets though - dogs are susceptible to salmonella infections just like you and I. I know it's rare to come across salmonella, but I wouldn't push my luck with anyone's diet but my own.

EDIT: It's worth noting that dietary cholesterol is mainly a concern only if your cholesterol levels are already high. My father eats almost no sources of dietary cholesterol because his father died of a heart attack when he was 19 and he doesn't want to go down the same road. I cut out some of the egg yolks because I can't always eat that much in the morning and still feel okay.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my cat. The vet says it's ok and she loves them.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    you should just eat them. or feed to dog/cat if you really don't want to.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I fertilize them. I am incubating an army of test-tube chickens! Muahahahahah! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

You fertilize them...So soon there will be an army of Tasochickens? :frown: That's much scarier than a zombie apocalypse! :sad:
  • fearxunleashed
    fearxunleashed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dude, why do you throw out the yolk?

Good fats in that, definitely worth eating..
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Eat them. They are good for you.

But if you really don't want to eat them, you can use them to wash your hair. They make your hair nice and shiny. Just use a couple of raw yolks as you would shampoo, and rinse thoroughly.
  • rkennedy54
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can buy just the egg whites in the supermarket in Australia? They used to be around but haven't seen them in ages.:ohwell:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    To all of the people who keep saying, JUST EAT THEM, the main reason most of us don't want to eat the yolk is because of the calories. We try to increase our protein by eating just the white, instead of gulping scoops of nasty protein powder. When I first started MFP and didn't know how to eat right, I sometimes ate 8 egg whites in one day, just to fight hunger. I don't think I could fit the amount of calories in 8 whole eggs in my diary. One egg white has only 17 cals, one large whole egg has 70. That's a big difference!
    If it's because of cholesterol, they used to say they were bad, and now they say they arent, but like anything else, moderation is key..and I'm glad I don't eat 8 egg whites per day anymore. :)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Taso chickens
    attack-of-the-giant-rooster1.jpg
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well my dog is now getting a treat!
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.

As far as using the yolks for my hair, I am very, very thin on top and I shave my head so that isn't really a good alternative for me. And my wife doesn't like the idea of it so I guess our dog will be the one to benefit.
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I put the yolks in the dogs food. I scramble them up first I was told it's better source of protein when cooked not sure if that is true or not. They all three love them and I normally give them two each(80 lb, 55 lbs and 54 lb pitbulls) so two of them is probably perfectly fine.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, this is what I do with my egg yolks...
    tumblr_lk24k0JLTv1qcz157o1_500.gif
    It's a great way to get the nutrients without the cholesterol.
  • dubster
    dubster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I gave them to my dogs, a dozen per week. little dog is ok my big shepard ended up with high cholesterol.....