Please stop saying everything is starvation mode...

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This thread is mean and obviously just plain wrong. Next you're going to tell me my 3lb weight gain was from my triple chocolate sundae and not the 3 reps of 10 x 2kg dumbell presses I did yesterday, which clearly converted my fat into muscle.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You can't tell me that starvation mode can't kick in from smaller things than 72 hour fasts. I passed up some Hardees curly fries today. (Someone pat me on the back) I damn near went into starvation mode just from that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Wait!!! Does someone have a gif of bacon AND ice cream? Anyone? Anyone?
    Given the number of bacon pics I've seen on MFP, I'd bet someone has an entire hard drive full of bacon pics.

more like a freaking off site server full of em!

You asked for a bacon sundae sir???

baconsundae-531x550_zpsa1e1b042.jpg

Or maybe a Bacon ice cream sammich???

Ice-Cream-Sandwiches-with-Candied-Bacon-5_zps13a9b072.jpg

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    chocolate-dipped-bacon-in-ice-cream-19525-1299882570-31.jpg

bacon-ice-cream.jpg

peanut-butter-concoctions-3.jpg?w=500&h=365
    This thread just became truly worthwhile.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Unless all you ate is a stick of celery with a glass of water, then I personally thing starvation mode is a joke. Occasionally I will be under 1200 calories, but I will be over the next so it just balances out. No big deal
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    i prefer the term "preservation mode" myself..
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Unless all you ate is a stick of celery with a glass of water, then I personally thing starvation mode is a joke. Occasionally I will be under 1200 calories, but I will be over the next so it just balances out. No big deal
    I'm sometimes under 1200 calories.

(Per meal)
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm bacon... Okay back on topic, so I'm confused.. I read all the posts for noobs and they say I shouldn't be cutting too many calories, and mfp says i should be eating 1200 and my exercise kcals. So if I want to drop a significant amt (trying to fit nicely into my bday dress March 2nd, but also am serious about changing lifestyle yadayada, how many can i cut safely while exercising 5 times a week? Thanks for any help.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mmmmm bacon... Okay back on topic, so I'm confused.. I read all the posts for noobs and they say I shouldn't be cutting too many calories, and mfp says i should be eating 1200 and my exercise kcals. So if I want to drop a significant amt (trying to fit nicely into my bday dress March 2nd, but also am serious about changing lifestyle yadayada, how many can i cut safely while exercising 5 times a week? Thanks for any help.

what is your height, weight, and age ....

hte basic method is to calculate your TDEE and deduct about 20 to 30% depending on how many cals you want to lose.

what is your work out regimen like?
  • AnvilHead
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Given the number of bacon pics I've seen on MFP, I'd bet someone has an entire hard drive full of bacon pics.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    anyone who says bacon is bad will be immediately blindfolded, tortured, and shot....well maybe not tortured...
  • augustawhysee
    Options
    I think it's great that you can radically adjust your calories and have your body respond positively, but my metabolism sucks. If I drastically drop my calorie intake in order to fast, my metabolism immediately adjusts. And if I want to eat any more than that? My metabolism has slowed way down and I put on more weight. I'm not saying that I go into starvation mode, but depriving yourself of too many calories is not a good option for a lot of people.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it seems that you have misunderstood what starvation mode is.

According to Segen starvation mode is defined as a physiologic response to a marked decrease in caloric intake where the basal metabolic rate falls to a minimum to conserve energy.

If a person's BMR is 2000kcal per day and they reduce their caloric intake to 1000kcal per day their body will, after a period of glycogen and ketone burning, adjust it's metabolism to try and limit the potential loss of body tissue. This person is by definition in starvation mode until their BMR stabilizes.

Most people "starve themselves" while dieting and can't figure out why they stop losing weight so they stop their diet only to gain more weight back than when they started. This happens because the body's first response to caloric excess while it is in starvation mode is to horde all excess glycogen into fat cells.

You do NOT need to stop all caloric intake to enter into starvation mode. You will enter starvation mode if you consistently consume less than what is required for bodily operation for a prolonged period of time.

You are correct that missing a meal will not put you into starvation mode but the effects of prolonged caloric deficit should not be ignored. Starvation is a real concern for people trying to loose weight and everyone eating at a caloric deficit should be aware of it and take care not to get to that point.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    im in starvation mode right now!!! this very second, im starving for some salted caramel golden spoons frozen yogurt... :( i already had 16 ounces of it earlier, but i definately feel my body starving for more.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options

what is your height, weight, and age ....

hte basic method is to calculate your TDEE and deduct about 20 to 30% depending on how many cals you want to lose.

what is your work out regimen like?

I'm 5'4", 162, and 31.

Thanks for your help, I'm horrible with anything that has to do with calculating, which is why I like this tracker that does it for me!

I workout 4-6 days a week doing group fitness classes such as zumba, kickboxing, and aerobics. I also do some strength training with bands and weights during those classes, I am working on getting a HRM, but for now mfp says I'm burning ~500-650 kcals per workout. Thanks again. The fitness pal says starvation mode, and it's scareing me lol

*I didn't weigh myself when I initially started, so not sure how much I've lost. I just weighed myself finally a few days ago, so it says 0.
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    I go into starvation mode anytime I miss my evening bowl of ice cream.

And bacon.

mmmm if I dont have my daily intake of bacon I definitely go into starvation mode...

I once had a waffle with maple bacon ice cream courtesy of Michael Simon.
  • Cara75
    Cara75 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but it seems that you have misunderstood what starvation mode is.

According to Segen starvation mode is defined as a physiologic response to a marked decrease in caloric intake where the basal metabolic rate falls to a minimum to conserve energy.

If a person's BMR is 2000kcal per day and they reduce their caloric intake to 1000kcal per day their body will, after a period of glycogen and ketone burning, adjust it's metabolism to try and limit the potential loss of body tissue. This person is by definition in starvation mode until their BMR stabilizes.

Most people "starve themselves" while dieting and can't figure out why they stop losing weight so they stop their diet only to gain more weight back than when they started. This happens because the body's first response to caloric excess while it is in starvation mode is to horde all excess glycogen into fat cells.

You do NOT need to stop all caloric intake to enter into starvation mode. You will enter starvation mode if you consistently consume less than what is required for bodily operation for a prolonged period of time.

You are correct that missing a meal will not put you into starvation mode but the effects of prolonged caloric deficit should not be ignored. Starvation is a real concern for people trying to loose weight and everyone eating at a caloric deficit should be aware of it and take care not to get to that point.

WELL... you told them!!! haa hahah ... i seriously need to just stop reading forums... i was first doin 1200 cal while working out HARD 5+ times a week... then i read NO NO NO, need to increase my cals or my metabolism will crash and ill lose nothing... soooo increased my cal to 1600+ and now i read thats bull as well... *smashes face against key board*
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can't tell me that starvation mode can't kick in from smaller things than 72 hour fasts. I passed up some Hardees curly fries today. (Someone pat me on the back) I damn near went into starvation mode just from that.

*pats on the back*
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

i ate an average of 3500 calories a day, until september, when i switched over to 1200-1300 cal per day. i am 32 years old, 5 foot 10, and was sedentary, however, since september, have been going to the gym 3-5 days a week. no, i do not eat back my exercise calories, no i am not sluggish, no i do not feel drained, yes i am full of energy! i have 5 kids and im a full time student, and im not falling asleep from my low cal intake! in 5 months, i have gone from 246 pounds to 188 pounds. im not in starvation mode, i feel great, and i fit alot of food into my daily goal!!! including my golden spoons frozen yogurt!!! omg it was so good today, salted caramel!!!