Please stop saying everything is starvation mode...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Wait!!! Does someone have a gif of bacon AND ice cream? Anyone? Anyone?
    Given the number of bacon pics I've seen on MFP, I'd bet someone has an entire hard drive full of bacon pics.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
    I have an entire hard drive full of snake pics. Who am I to criticize.:drinker:
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I swear if I see one more thread where someone says that someone is in "starvation mode" because they missed snack 2 or are eating 1200 calories a day I am going to have a melt down.

I don't know if your issue is with people using the term "starvation mode" or just telling people they need to eat more. I have recently seen a lot of posts from people having problems losing weight because they are trying to do less than 1200 calories and exercise and the usual advice is eat more. You eat more so you have the energy to exercise but like anything everyone is different so I think this post is just confusing some people out there. That is great it works for you but most people who post and are asking for advice it is not working for so people are advising them to do something different. That is how you find out what works for you.

So making a post to tell people to stop giving advice they were giving on an individual asking for help seems like you are taking it as personal advice aimed at you when it wasn't.
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    augustawhysee's post just before mine is a classic example of the effects of repeated starvation. If Augusta will go on a normal calorie diet for a while their BMR will increase to a healthy level and stabilize, they will gain weight during this time and it will probably take a couple of months but once everything has normalized then healthy weight loss can occur. Until your hormones stabilize you are going to find it nearly impossible to loose weight in a healthy manner.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i can actually feel the fat from my fat free frozen yogurt taking hold to my tissues... its cold...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    chocolate-dipped-bacon-in-ice-cream-19525-1299882570-31.jpg
    Your dessert is very happy to see you.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    everything is starvation mode...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    anyone who says bacon is bad will be immediately blindfolded, tortured, and shot....well maybe not tortured...

theres only 1 way to eat bacon in my house, and thats wrapped around a jalepeno stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and sweet chili thai sauce!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    WELL... you told them!!! haa hahah ... i seriously need to just stop reading forums... i was first doin 1200 cal while working out HARD 5+ times a week... then i read NO NO NO, need to increase my cals or my metabolism will crash and ill lose nothing... soooo increased my cal to 1600+ and now i read thats bull as well... *smashes face against key board*
    Here's a good article which explains it all scientific-like and stuff:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that starvation mode only happens when you hit <5% BF...

Yep... 5-6% for men, and around 10% for women. Look up the Military study done by Karl Friedl
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up what you're putting down... I get frustrated when say one day I was just not feeling well, not hungry whatever and didn't eat all my calories for the day MFP will give me a warning about "starvation mode'. I am aware that if for some reason I skip a meal i will not be in starvation mode and MFP needs to shut up. lol
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that starvation mode only happens when you hit <5% BF...

Yep... 5-6% for men, and around 10% for women. Look up the Military study done by Karl Friedl

lol... then i have a loooooooooooooooooong way to go! hehehe
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm picking up what you're putting down... I get frustrated when say one day I was just not feeling well, not hungry whatever and didn't eat all my calories for the day MFP will give me a warning about "starvation mode'. I am aware that if for some reason I skip a meal i will not be in starvation mode and MFP needs to shut up. lol

But it will also congratulate you for finishing your diary and coming in under your calorie goal! It needs to shut up AND make up its mind!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your issue is with people using the term "starvation mode" or just telling people they need to eat more. I have recently seen a lot of posts from people having problems losing weight because they are trying to do less than 1200 calories and exercise and the usual advice is eat more. You eat more so you have the energy to exercise but like anything everyone is different so I think this post is just confusing some people out there. That is great it works for you but most people who post and are asking for advice it is not working for so people are advising them to do something different. That is how you find out what works for you.
    More good reading:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

But it will also congratulate you for finishing your diary and coming in under your calorie goal! It needs to shut up AND make up its mind!

if i was a cat, id like to believe id look like the one in your pic!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

He's not fat, he's just got a lot of pressure per square inch!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Been 3 hours since I last ate I think I'm in starvation mode.

My dog is passed out right now it's starvation mode.

I'm feeling a bit gassy today it's probably starvation mode.

My leg itches. Oh, I know, starvation mode.

Summer happens because of the rotation of the earth towards starvation mode.

What goes up must go into starvation mode.

An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon in starvation mode.

I painted my nails today using a lovely color of starvation mode.

The capital of Mongolia is Ulan starvation mode.

The Magna Carta quaranteed the right of man to not be subjected to starvation mode.

Roses are red. Violets of blue. You're in starvation mode.

When traveling at 60mph and a train is traveling at 65mph at what point will they meet in starvation mode?

v=dr/v(starvation mode)

a*a+b*b=c*starvation mode

The hypothalums regulates starvation mode

When baking cookies make sure to cream your eggs, sugar, and starvation mode

Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty Im not in starvation mode.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for starvation mode

You killed Kenny! You starvation modes!

You were once, twice, three times a starvation mode....

Just a small town girl
    Living in a lonely world
    She took the midnight train going anywhere
    Just a city boy
    Born and raised in Starvation Moooodeeee!! Don't stop starvin'
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

He's not fat, he's just got a lot of pressure per square inch!

i was never fat either, ive been pleasantly plump!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

The Magna Carta quaranteed the right of man to not be subjected to starvation mode.

When traveling at 60mph and a train is traveling at 65mph at what point will they meet in starvation mode?

v=dr/v(starvation mode)

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for starvation mode

Just a small town girl
    Living in a lonely world
    Just a city boy

dont forget what happens if you poop wrong...
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I think half the reason I got overweight in the FIRST place was the stupid starvation mode myth. After so much information, I literally now have almost no idea how I should be eating. I just try to eat 4 meals a day of about 300-400 calories each with a lot of protein and veggies and hope for the best.

The other myth that needs to be banned is "maybe the weight you gained is muscle weight." Yeah right! It is not possible to randomly put on 3-5 pounds of muscle in one week. I am working out 2x a week for an hour at weight training, hoping to gain that much in a few MONTHS. Not three days. Maybe it's water retention, but 3 pounds of muscle? I think not.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

v=dr/v(starvation mode)

Just a small town girl
    Living in a lonely world
    Just a city boy

dont forget what happens if you poop wrong...

Woah theres a way to poop wrong?! No one ever told me! I'm scared now do I squeeze or pinch?