Morbidly Obese mother files complaint

Options

Replies

• MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the kind of woman who sues people for a living. Can't wait to see how that kid's doing in 15 years....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If I was a snarky lawyer I'd argue that it is hospital policy because the hospital has a policy of allowing physicians to decide whether or not they feel comfortable delivering a particular patient.

I'd be surprised if it isn't hospital policy to defer to a doctor on things like that. Except of course if an HMO is involved and protecting their precious profits.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If a doctor or hospital was not equipped to treat me the last thing I would do is complain. I would find a hospital that could give me and my baby the best care. Her weight has created a complication. Doctors take an oath to do no harm. What more can you ask for than a doctor that is honest enough to assess your situation and say 'I am not qualified. But here are people that are.'?

I agree...though, the doctor should not have stated it was a hospital policy if it truly wasnt.

Personally I find her reaction extreme and dramatic. There is not much "healthy" about being morbidly obese..the strain on your muscles, your heart, your bones, etc. Even if you go into a situation with good numbers and all that jazz, the rate of something going wrong is much higher. Plain and simple.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight, 357, I was healthy. Granted, I was too heavy, but my numbers were just fine. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, triglycerides, etc were all within normal levels. No diabetes. No high blood pressure. None of the issues many obese people have. Doctors were usually pretty shocked.

My point is, you can't assume she isn't healthy just because of her weight. If she's speaking in terms of bloodwork alone, she may be right. On paper, I was perfectly healthy (if you ignored my BMI). Still am. I've lost 54 pounds, and I'm sure my numbers are about the same or better. Am I a healthy weight? Heck no. Am I healthy, generally? Yes.

I don't think it's right that he lied to her. He should have explained her options. He took the chicken way out of it, and that's wrong.

Chicken? In today's age of sue at every chance, the cost of malpractice insurance, and the odds of a complication...I don't fault the doctor at all.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The doctor was not unreasonable in the least. He is acting in his patient's best interest. Her knee jerk reaction to sue is yet another example of a litigation happy society.
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    Options
    bump
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in Layette too and saw that. Geesh. I wanted to post something on WLFI FB page, but refrained!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If a doctor or hospital was not equipped to treat me the last thing I would do is complain. I would find a hospital that could give me and my baby the best care. Her weight has created a complication. Doctors take an oath to do no harm. What more can you ask for than a doctor that is honest enough to assess your situation and say 'I am not qualified. But here are people that are.'?

This.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think that if she wanted to deliver at home, she should have gone to a midwife...
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    As a neonatal RN I have seen what morbid obesity can do during deliver and added care a baby may need in the NICU. This MD does not have a vendetta against overweight people. He is out for the safety of his patient and her unborn child and thats it. Too many "moms" get all fired up about themselves and forget once you're pregnant you have another person to keep safe
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I think he has the right to refuse to treat her. However, he shouldn't have lied about it being hospital policy.

This. If a doctor doesn't feel comfortable treating me, I don't want them treating me. But, he shouldn't have lied.
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    He probably told her it was hospital policy in an attempt to not embarrass her. But, no matter how hard you try you just cannot please everyone. So he should have just said what he needed to say, regardless.
    I believe the Doctor was in the right in this situation.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Should he have told her that it was hospital policy if it wasn't?... no

Should she have wanted to do what would be the safest option for her, and her baby?... Yes

This whole situation could have been avoided if he had just told her that while they would certainly do the best that they could to make sure that her and her baby had the safest delivery, and recovery, but that he felt like the other hospital was better equipped her particular situation, and that he knew she would want to give her child the best fighting chance.

You can generally gladly get people to do what you want them to do as long as you convince them the it was either their idea in the first place, or that it really is in their best interest...
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think maybe the doctor should not have said it was policy since it wasn't.

However, he could have said the same thing and made it all about the baby. We have a great medical staff here at hospital xyz,..however, I feel that the well being and safety of you and the baby that the hospital in Indy xyz will offer better equipment, experience and emergency care if the need should arise. I feel that it is my due diligence to provide you and the baby the best care and the hospital in Indy would be it. Be honest that due to her weight there are a myriad of health risks that his hospital is not equipped to handle. It is being honest without stating a non existent policy.

Also, the mother should have more concern for her baby at this point to get the best care. She really has not right to complain about being discriminated against, the doctor was trying to make sure she and the baby stayed safe.

Just my opinion.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight, 357, I was healthy. Granted, I was too heavy, but my numbers were just fine. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, triglycerides, etc were all within normal levels. No diabetes. No high blood pressure. None of the issues many obese people have. Doctors were usually pretty shocked.

My point is, you can't assume she isn't healthy just because of her weight. If she's speaking in terms of bloodwork alone, she may be right. On paper, I was perfectly healthy (if you ignored my BMI). Still am. I've lost 54 pounds, and I'm sure my numbers are about the same or better. Am I a healthy weight? Heck no. Am I healthy, generally? Yes.

I don't think it's right that he lied to her. He should have explained her options. He took the chicken way out of it, and that's wrong.

I have to call BS on this. I have never had problems with my BP, I have never had problems with my cholesterol, diabetes or anything like that either. But just because those vital stats are ok does not mean you are healthy. At 260 pounds, all my stats were good too, but it made me sick to my stomach to walk for 20 minutes. It took me losing 50lbs to realize how unhealthy I actually was and how much potential I was lacking physically. Denial is a horrible thing.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I would happily drive a little further for better care. Our local hospital happens to have great neonatal care (not that I'll need that any time soon) but if it were about mine and my baby's health, I can't see complaining about a drive. I'd give anything to have a healthy baby.
  • rmh1262
    rmh1262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not know the whole story as to why the doctor felt a need to lie, or what her potential risks are to herself and the unborn child leaves it open to decide either way. Personally if a doctor did not want to deliver my child, I'd be more than happy to look elsewhere. She's not considering the benefits of better neonatal care by complaining. Admit your have certain health risks when morbidly obese. Take the blame for the situation, lose some weight even while pregnant, thank God you are given a safer alternative and keep it moving!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my daughter I had to travel to another town for my sonograms because they needed a more high-tech machine. I had gestational diabetes and was high risk. When it comes to my unborn child, I don't mess around. If they need to fly me to China to make sure my child is healthy do that shiz! She just got her feelings hurt.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    She also stated that she delivered 4 years ago when she was heavier and that her sister delivered at over 350 pounds as well.

My first thought is how can these women be so fertile being150-200lbs overweight? Also that they are pushing the fat acceptance and claiming discriminiation. They don't act embarrassed but more proud of their weigtht .

I am still obese and I have no plan to get pregnant until I am healthier and think it's sad the this lady is placing the blame of HER problems on the doctors. I am sure it will end in a lawsuit and the doctor having to settle with her. I don't know why he lied but if it were me, I think that may have been the easiest way to tell her. When I have to give someone an answer they won't like at work I always say "it's board policy", knowing that they will back me up on my decisions.

I just can't get over the woman telling me she was healthy at 353lbs....
    OP started as if this was a discussion of a local news story, but later in the post referred to "the mother told me..." Follow up post states "I just can't get over the woman telling me she was healthy at 353lbs.... "

Is this someone you know and/or are providing care to? Post above sounds like a first person account. Has the woman in question been speaking to you?

You have already stated that "these women" are "pushing fat acceptance and claiming discrimination." I know that there may be some discussion her about doctor choices, doctor responsibility, liability issues, etc. But I can't help but feel a little baited into a discussion about your feelings around "fat acceptance."

Is that what you intended?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I have to call BS on this. I have never had problems with my BP, I have never had problems with my cholesterol, diabetes or anything like that either. But just because those vital stats are ok does not mean you are healthy. At 260 pounds, all my stats were good too, but it made me sick to my stomach to walk for 20 minutes. It took me losing 50lbs to realize how unhealthy I actually was and how much potential I was lacking physically. Denial is a horrible thing.

Physical conditioning doesn't exactly define health either.