Morbidly Obese mother files complaint

Options

Replies

• _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think the question that needs to be answered is "was the decision primarily made to medically preserve the best interests of the mother and child?"

That actually isn't clear and why the litigation is being pursued.

If the answer is yes then I do not have a problem with the way the doctor or the hospital acted.

If the answer proves to be no then I believe this to be an issue of discrimination (which encompasses "fat acceptance" within it) and the lady in question should secure damages.

Very true.

At the end of the day, based on the article, it still remains a "he said she said" issue.

And just based on the article, I find it all absurd lol
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I think this is totally crazy! It's not like she was 600 lbs! I was VERY heavy during both of my deliveries and had no problems whatsoever...she had no other issues other than weight? I would feel the same way! :noway:

You are assuming that you delivered at a hospital exactly equipped as the one who refused the obese mother. Your delivering hospital may have been perfectly prepared and experienced to handle an obese delivery, while others are not. The OP did say that the hospital they were referring the mother to had a decidedly better NICU.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think the question that needs to be answered is "was the decision primarily made to medically preserve the best interests of the mother and child?"

If the answer is yes then I do not have a problem with the way the doctor or the hospital acted.

If the answer proves to be no then I believe this to be an issue of discrimination (which encompasses "fat acceptance" within it) and the lady in question should secure damages.

Very true.

At the end of the day, based on the article, it still remains a "he said she said" issue.

And that's the problem with trial by media.

You do not get the full facts, you do not get to rationally consider the evidence or hear the cross examination.

What is the result? Chaos...
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Very true.

You do not get the full facts, you do not get to rationally consider the evidence or hear the cross examination.

Perhaps. But that is what bothers me, too....that the person who hasn't even spoken yet is automatically a fat shaming horrible doctor.

I will say though that threads like these make my day go faster.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

So lets say that plane seats are suddenly all the size of first class seats instead of coach. That cuts down the amount of passengers by 20%. Also cutting down the luggage and booking fees and ticket sales by 20%. WHich means airline prices will go up about 25% for everyone.

Are obese people going to pay the extra $100 every time I need to fly somewhere for business? I didn't think so.

Let them pay for 2 seats, because that's what they're taking up. You could apply this model to countless other industries all over the world.

Yes, let's discriminate against fat people because it's "cheaper".

Umeboshi getting the feeling your a net troll looking to argue about everything. If a persons *kitten* takes 2 seats then they should pay for 2 seats. Common sense no??? If you take 2 snickers off a shelf u pay for 2. Or do you go to the counter and say.. well 1 is too small for me so i expect the 2nd 1 at your expense? Doubt it.. When the hospital sends out a "jumbulance" to an overweight patient is that discriminating too? If people are overweight they need to own it and accept the problems that come along with it. Afterall having to give an overweight person 2 seats at no extra cost will be discriminating against the average weight person who cannot board the plane in 1 seat or who has to pay a higher price to make up the short fall. Stop trying to play devils advocate and knock people down for having opinions.

It does seem like you are just trying to cause an argument (umeboshi). The airlines have been around how long now? So they should change their seats because they don't fit fat people is ridiculous. There is a difference between looking down on someone or being mean or hurtful to them because they are fat or pointing out that it is not healthy to be that obese.

And you say people have medical conditions and that is the only reason they are fat? Come on, it definitely attributes and causes issues, and if you continue to eat crap and not be active of course you will remain overweight, but it doesn't make it impossible. Yeah there may be a condition or two that make it near impossible, but most metabolic disorders make it difficult, not impossible.

I have PCOS which is a metabolic disorder, but do I blame all my weight gain on it? Absolutely not. I do believe it makes it more difficult and that I need to be more diligent about what I eat, but it isn't impossible. There are plenty of women on here that have PCOS that do struggle, but they are making the changes and they are seeing progress, may be slower than others, but it is still progress. This is an excuse to not do what you need to in my opinion. There are a lot of people that can't eat dairy, or wheat or corn, etc. Do continue to eat these things just because others can? No, most stop and find healthy alternatives so they feel better. And the ones that don't continue not to feel well and blame the illness as the excuse. It isn't the illness, it is the lack of doing anything to fix it.

Many illnesses people have can definitely make weight loss a lot more challenging than an average person, but like I said, it isn't impossible or an excuse to say that people don't get fat because of choices. I feel that if you are over 300lbs, there are definitely bad food choices being made. Doesn't mean you eat like a cow all day long, but the choices you do make in what you eat can have a huge impact on your weight. When I was 300lbs, I didn't blame it on my PCOS, I blamed it on my laziness and not stick to making a lifestyle change. Once I did and gave it the effort I should have, the weight started coming off. Metabolic conditions may mess with your metabolism, but it doesn't STOP it. Some people have to work and try harder than others, that is just the way things are. Do I feel bad for myself or make excuses so I just keep getting bigger? No, I take responsibility when I slip and eat stuff I shouldn't and work to make it better, that is changing for the better.

You CHOOSE to stay stuck in a state that way, it isn't your fate. Most people that finally do put the effort in, come on this site, get their food in order, get some activity in there day, have success, and by all the success stories I have seen on here is is pretty close to fact. You continue to do nothing about it, you have no one to blame but yourself for being morbidly obese.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    Because of my experience with thyroid issues, I HATE when people suggest that one could be morbidly obese because of them. You could argue that most people's thyroid issues are worse than mine. I'll give you that. But you can't get worse than no thyroid whatsoever, like my dad has, and he's in better shape than me.
    To be clear, thyroid issues suck. They make it harder. They can contribute to being slightly overweight. But thyroid problems alone will not make you morbidly obese without being backed up by bad choices. Not speaking for other health reasons, just thyroid.
    \
    [/quote]

I definitely appreciate your "expertise" on this since we're all the same... I know that I gained over 80 pounds (I stopped weighing myself at 200 because I couldn't handle it emotionally so I don't know exactly how much) when my thyroid was misdiagnosed and untreated and at 5'0 that was the difference between healthy and morbidly obese. It was also the difference between a size 2 and a size 18 despite eating healthier and working out more when I was gaining (i.e. when I was a size 2 I thought Hostess was a good afternoon snack... when I started gaining I dropped Hostess and all other junk and joined WW). Even when my thyroid was diagnosed it wasn't as simple as take meds and diet/exercise and lose weight either... like I said - I had surgery. On 2000 cal/day with exercise I gained, on 1200/day with exercise I lost about 0.5/week and I was 80 lbs overweight... Now I lose because I had 85% of my stomach removed (which allows me to comfortably eat far less than a normal person) and I eat between 500 and 700 cal per day and I exercise (I average about 2.5 lb/week lost) and I'm still on thyroid meds and always will be. And for the record - my levels were only just above the hypothyroid mark so mine apparently was still functioning - just not properly.

Point is - everyone is different and everyone's illness/issue affects them differently so you can't compare your genetics to theirs.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why people think fat people, no matter what, should have to kill themselves trying to be thin. I'm sick of hearing this sentiment.
    It's okay to get fat or be fat or stay fat.

I agree with you. My choices are mine. I'll accept whatever consequences they bring.

Except that your choices affect more than just you. We in this country are extraordinarily selfish and self centered, even if we do not mean to be. This is the way of western society: rugged individualism with little desire to compromise our comfort for the sake of others. That is not too say we are all greedy or we do not help others, quite the contrary in fact. That face of the matter is that obesity (not using the word fat) is a diease by all acceptable medical standards. the causes of obesity, whether they are medical, psycholigical or sociological are well documented and known. Our abject failure to treat obesity is analgous to knowing the causes of cancer yet doing nothing to cure it because cancer is a "lifestyle."
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Very true.

Perhaps. But that is what bothers me, too....that the person who hasn't even spoken yet is automatically a fat shaming horrible doctor.

How do we know the doctor in question was not overweight??? People are way too quick to throw the discrimination word out there.
  • thelms77
    thelms77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the doctor was wrong for lying about the policy but the woman is wrong to try to sue for something that, in the end, has her and her baby's interest at heart. I can't speak on the weight because I have never been that heavy so I don't know the risks but I would feel better if I had a different doctor for the simple fact that he made it obvious that he didn't want to care for her so if he was forced to, the care would probably not be the best. Too much tension to say to least. When I was pregnant, I had diabetes and I had to change doctors twice because of the issues I was having and could possibly have. The doctor was not equipped to handle the situation so I was referred to someone who was. I was relieved to know that and gladly made the move. Maybe if he/she was honest about the situation, it would have had a different outcome. Then again, maybe not! :-)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there is probably more to the story than what is put into the media. I am willing to bet the doctor was trying to make a decision for her that would be in her and her child's best benefit. Sending her to a hospital that is better equipped to handle any coming situation and he didn't want to have liability for not giving her the best option but he probably made a big mistake in saying it was hospital policy if it really wasn't.

If she intends to sue to win money I could see her using this as a cash cow even though she was given good advice to have her baby at a different hospital that could take on what ever situation could occur based off of issues that could arise from her current health situation.

We won't know what really went down or what the reasons for what is happening now are. All we know is what we read and what we personally think of the situation.

If I were her I would have been researching why the doctor would tell me that (I am a research before choosing junkie) and maybe check and see if the hospital he told me to go to had a better care system for my situation. If it were a better choice then I would go to that other hospital, if it were no better than where I was going to go then I would ask for a new doctor and file a complaint and just go on my merry way.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What do you think? Was the doctor wrong for saying it was hospital policy? Does this mother have the right to be mad or is she being a drama queen?

In my very *UNHUMBLE* opinion ... she's a drama queen and part of the lawsuit happy American culture. I had enough challenges having children myself that if the doctor felt uncomfortable with any part of my care, I'd have rather gone elsewhere. Period.

... but then that's *MY* opinion and she has her right to believe otherwise ... just as I have my right to believe as I do ...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Yes, but again this is the problem with media representations of what are, at the heart of them, complex society issues.

It simply brings out prejudice which then lingers even if the outcome of the case proves that just exactly the opposite was true. So for example in this case if the lady was proved to be justified in bringing the action it won't really matter that much as people will probably have forgotten about the case by the time the judgement is handed down.

What they won't forget is the perception that some fat lady had the absolute gall to use the legal machinery to bring a claim which clearly had no merit (even if it is proved she did) and that the sky is falling Chicken Little....
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    she is within her rights to file a complaint, but at the same time if the hospital isn't the best option for the patient to deliver in, the doctor was well within his right to say its best for her to give birth at a better equip hospital. i think the complaint should be with the hospital for not having equipment suitable enough to cater for bigger people, rather than with the doctor. he was doing what he thought best for the patient.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Honestly, I hope this situation is a brutal wake up call for this woman. How can you even get mad at someone for suggesting an option that would be much safer for your child to come into this world?? How in the world can you be a mother and only be thinking of yourself in this situation?? I am a mother..and this makes me sick. I hope to god this woman changes..for her childs sake.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As a neonatal RN I have seen what morbid obesity can do during deliver and added care a baby may need in the NICU. This MD does not have a vendetta against overweight people. He is out for the safety of his patient and her unborn child and thats it. Too many "moms" get all fired up about themselves and forget once you're pregnant you have another person to keep safe

This is true... My doctor told me I was high risk because of my age and if I, for whatever reason, had to deliver early, I'd need to go to a different hospital that was better equipped to care for my baby. I was not offended... I was glad that she cared enough about me and my unborn child to determine that this was the best course of action. I did not scream AGEISM! Luckily, I ended up being 2 wks late and she was able to deliver my son!
  • JuliaWomp
    JuliaWomp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Because of my experience with thyroid issues, I HATE when people suggest that one could be morbidly obese because of them. You could argue that most people's thyroid issues are worse than mine. I'll give you that. But you can't get worse than no thyroid whatsoever, like my dad has, and he's in better shape than me.
    To be clear, thyroid issues suck. They make it harder. They can contribute to being slightly overweight. But thyroid problems alone will not make you morbidly obese without being backed up by bad choices. Not speaking for other health reasons, just thyroid.
    \

I definitely appreciate your "expertise" on this since we're all the same... I know that I gained over 80 pounds (I stopped weighing myself at 200 because I couldn't handle it emotionally so I don't know exactly how much) when my thyroid was misdiagnosed and untreated and at 5'0 that was the difference between healthy and morbidly obese. It was also the difference between a size 2 and a size 18 despite eating healthier and working out more when I was gaining (i.e. when I was a size 2 I thought Hostess was a good afternoon snack... when I started gaining I dropped Hostess and all other junk and joined WW). Even when my thyroid was diagnosed it wasn't as simple as take meds and diet/exercise and lose weight either... like I said - I had surgery. On 2000 cal/day with exercise I gained, on 1200/day with exercise I lost about 0.5/week and I was 80 lbs overweight... Now I lose because I had 85% of my stomach removed (which allows me to comfortably eat far less than a normal person) and I eat between 500 and 700 cal per day and I exercise (I average about 2.5 lb/week lost) and I'm still on thyroid meds and always will be. And for the record - my levels were only just above the hypothyroid mark so mine apparently was still functioning - just not properly.

Point is - everyone is different and everyone's illness/issue affects them differently so you can't compare your genetics to theirs.
    [/quote]

I understand that, and I'm sorry.
    I more meant that there's a world of difference between say 100 pounds that's the extent of what can be due purely to thyroid issues (according to my doc) and 300 pounds.
    And for the record, the only way both of us maintain is at 1,300 cals a day 4 days a week, less than 200 calories 2 days a week, and the "normal" 1,800-2,000 one day a week.
    We're both really really tall (dad is 6'6") so those numbers are LOWLOWLOW. It sucks, but what ya gonna do? I acknowledge that we're both lucky in that we never had to LOSE a lot of weight with thyroid problems, because even when they were undiagnosed, we just assumed we had super sluggish metabolisms and took measures against gaining in the first place. I recognize that everyone is different and that losing weight can be a trillion times harder with thyroid problems, but it isn't the reason behind every pound of overweight fat- even in people with thyroid problems.

PS) Everyone with serious thyroid issues will have to take meds the rest of their life.
  • gabesgourmet
    Options
    I gave birth to my second child in May only a month after my husband died. I was pre-ecplamptic and EXTREMELY swolen and sick and my daughter was born 7 weeks early. When they took me to the OR to perform the c-section the anesthesiologist looked at me and audibly "tsk'd". He then proceeded to talk to the others in the delivery room like I was not there-he kept saying I don't even feel like trying to start a spinal block/epidural on someone this "fat". Really why would anyone even try to have a baby this heavy...this is ridiculous...i think I will just put her to sleep because this is ridiculous...the nurses and other doctors in the OR were visibly uncomfortable with his ranting against my weight...one of the nurses holding my hand asked who i had coming in to be with me during the delivery and I started crying...I told her my mother was scrubbing up, because my husband had just died...I started crying again b/c i missed him, I was scared for our daughter, the doctor was being HORRIBLE and it was just a terrible experience. The anesthesiologist then yelled at me to hush up my blubbering or else he was going to put me under and stop trying to thread a needle through all of my fat. I was utterly humiliated...it was a terrible experience.

Later the hospital representative came to talk to me about my experience and I told her about the anesthesiologist. She paused and then patted my arm and said sorry-she it had happened before and that the anesthesiologist was just truly concerned about my welfare. Somehow it didn't feel that way to me.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If a doctor or hospital was not equipped to treat me the last thing I would do is complain. I would find a hospital that could give me and my baby the best care. Her weight has created a complication. Doctors take an oath to do no harm. What more can you ask for than a doctor that is honest enough to assess your situation and say 'I am not qualified. But here are people that are.'?

^^ This as well. In my own field (not a doctor), I am ethically bound to refer elsewhere if I don't feel equipped to handle a client's issues. I have made referrals on several occasions to other professionals who are better equipped or experienced. That doctor was probably doing the same thing. Maybe he should have said that it is his own personal policy, and not the hospital's. Unfortunately, she will likely make some cash from that error.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hope this situation is a brutal wake up call for this woman. How can you even get mad at someone for suggesting an option that would be much safer for your child to come into this world?? How in the world can you be a mother and only be thinking of yourself in this situation?? I am a mother..and this makes me sick. I hope to god this woman changes..for her childs sake.

I hope so too, but as you can see we have generations of people who are more interested in their own comfort and "right to do..." than the health and welfare of their children let alone other people. Sadly this is not their fault as most of them learned it from previous generations. It is, however, getting progressively worse, or at least seems like it is. The margin of what we are willing to accept under the auspices of social correctness is growing wider and wider, and while I think we all should learn to love one another and accept one another, we do not have to personally accept disease.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but there are plenty of unwritten policies at hospitals - it might not be written down, but that's the policy they follow. No, i'm not defending that but it does happen.

Furthermore, i think this obese mother should realize that her weight does cause concern & it sounds like the Dr. is trying to treat her in the safest environment for her & her child. It sounds like she is lawsuit happy & is trying to get paid. i delivered both of my children (via c-section) when i was overweight & made sure that i went to a hospital that could handle pretty much any complication that might arise for my baby or myself. It's truly beyond me how someone could say they are perfectly healthy at that weight.