Women in the UFC? C'MON

Options

Replies

• jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    society has gotten substantily LESS violent in its entertainment compared to the past... Hello Gladiators, slve fights and Thu Hunt (when the prey was human and not a fox) Personally these women rock

lol...do you really believe this to be true? do you think these things do not still exist? "You think that's air you're breathing now?

Hmph."
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    society has gotten substantily LESS violent in its entertainment compared to the past... Hello Gladiators, slve fights and Thu Hunt (when the prey was human and not a fox) Personally these women rock

lol...do you really believe this to be true? do you think these things do not still exist? "You think that's air you're breathing now?

Hmph."

tumblr_maxg9f7YeS1rxmai6o1_500.gif

So, which one of you is being insinuated into the matrix?
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never seen a girl fight. And, I never want to.

I certainly don't think women just belong in the kitchen, and I definitely support our AMAZING women in the military. UFC though, to me - just crazy. To each there own I guess.

UFC is a sport, in my opinion. So not sure how it's ok for women to serve in our military but not do UFC.

Exactly. It's important to look at it as a SPORT. As Kevin James' character says in "Here Comes the Boom," it's no more dangerous or violent than Nascar or boxing or football.

ETA to the fact that you support women fighitng in the military, which IS in fact violence, but not the sport of a physical competition?
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    ... but I've read enough to see what happens to these people once they are no longer competitive. The sports eats 'em up and spits them out - even their dignity is gone. SAD, sad, sad!

And this is different from other professional sports how???? MMA athletes are not unlike any other competitive athletes. They have a hard time coming to grips with it when it is time to leave the game. Like any other athlete, MMA fighters have the ability to leave the sport when they start becoming less competitive. If anything, MMA fighters should be MORE aware of this than other fighters. The training leading up to a fight is so physically demanding that it quickly becomes apparent when you can no longer handle the demands. And just due to the nature of the sport, a slight decline in ability becomes very apparent very quickly.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Also just want to throw this out there that I am a very "traditional" woman and LOVE MMA and UFC. I cannot WAIT for the fight this weekend! Party at my place!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It's not as if a couple of women (or men) just get angry with one another and start fighting, this is well-trained athletes doing this of their own volition. It's sport.

Real violence is what really is sad: shootings, murders, domestic violence, child abuse.
  • jez4ever
    Options
    ... but I've read enough to see what happens to these people once they are no longer competitive. The sports eats 'em up and spits them out - even their dignity is gone. SAD, sad, sad!

And this is different from other professional sports how???? MMA athletes are not unlike any other competitive athletes. They have a hard time coming to grips with it when it is time to leave the game. Like any other athlete, MMA fighters have the ability to leave the sport when they start becoming less competitive. If anything, MMA fighters should be MORE aware of this than other fighters. The training leading up to a fight is so physically demanding that it quickly becomes apparent when you can no longer handle the demands. And just due to the nature of the sport, a slight decline in ability becomes very apparent very quickly.

Sorry, but your way off with that comment.

Very different. Very rarely...not saying it doesn't happen, but rarely does a "Top" athelete of his sport get spit out like a piece of garbage when they retire, get let go, injured, whatever (if they do, its usually b/c of their own dumb bad choices). Top atheletes of most sports even when they've over stayed there welcome (abilities decline, too old, less competitive etc) do not get thrown out on the street so to speak.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Sorry, but your way off with that comment.

Very different. Very rarely...not saying it doesn't happen, but rarely does a "Top" athelete of his sport get spit out like a piece of garbage when they retire, get let go, injured, whatever (if they do, its usually b/c of their own dumb bad choices). Top atheletes of most sports even when they've over stayed there welcome (abilities decline, too old, less competitive etc) do not get thrown out on the street so to speak.

Does this same thing happen with the top athletes in MMA? Has it really been around long enough to get enough examples for a proper comparison? It seems like some of them have gone on to relatively lucrative careers in fitness, and film. Why would that be any different for women competitors?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Lena Ovchynnikova is my favourite

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPn7CELaRrRwcRHJ6qKzGrCeIAZ5A9y5pmQqKi4gufxq_McZfb

OVCHINNIKOVA-Lena_UKR_4.jpg

539127_10151051231654038_523914787_n.jpg
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right ... women should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen making their families a nice home cooked meal.

:noway:

Oh shut up
  • muffin_shufflin
    muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm actually quite excited to watch it.

excited.gif
  • jez4ever
    Options
    [/quote]

Does this same thing happen with the top athletes in MMA? Has it really been around long enough to get enough examples for a proper comparison? It seems like some of them have gone on to relatively lucrative careers in fitness, and film. Why would that be any different for women competitors?
    [/quote]

Good Point. Probably not enough data. I know a lot do have lucrative careers, but it sure seems like more often than not, they don't. However, man or woman - no difference.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Oviously stating "Women in the UFC? C'MON" grabbed everyone's attention. Heck, that's what posting is all about, right? Getting people talking and seeking feedback?

It's not a women vs. men thing. I think it's equally wrong...too much violence for the sol purpose of what? Entertainment? I may not know that much about the sport, the "moves and artistry", but I've read enough to see what happens to these people once they are no longer competitive. The sports eats 'em up and spits them out - even their dignity is gone. SAD, sad, sad!

This is not different then, football, basketball, rugby, hockey or any kind of other physical sport. The different sports take a toll on the body and the athlete has to then lead a life like the rest of society. I am curious though when you say that their "dignity is gone" .....how so?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    They should just stick to oil wrestling and wet t-shirt contest, huh?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Seriously? As if the sport isn't barbaric enough with dudes. I'm certainly not hatin on people that are into it or watch it, but Women? I don't know, I just think its sad...

almost.gif
    :laugh:
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Sad? I think its Freakin AWESOME! Ronda Rousey is my damn hero!

I've been waiting so long for UFC to sign some women - so so happy they finally have! (Now if only they could fight in NY!)
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Nope. Never seen a girl fight. And, I never want to.

I certainly don't think women just belong in the kitchen, and I definitely support our AMAZING women in the military. UFC though, to me - just crazy. To each there own I guess.

UFC is a sport, in my opinion. So not sure how it's ok for women to serve in our military but not do UFC.

Exactly. It's important to look at it as a SPORT. As Kevin James' character says in "Here Comes the Boom," it's no more dangerous or violent than Nascar or boxing or football.

ETA to the fact that you support women fighitng in the military, which IS in fact violence, but not the sport of a physical competition?

More people die in Football and Boxing every year than in MMA! :)
  • RayaQb
    RayaQb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im a UFC nut and I lkve that the womem now have a place in the UFC, I will be watching Saturday.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Oh look, a sexist post. Hi, sexist post.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    Sorry, but you are the one who is way off. Where are you getting your information? In your posts, I see a lot of "it seems" and phrases of that nature. Do you have FIRST HAND experience or knowledge? I think not. I do. And if you think that the NFL does not "spit out" their athletes when they are done, you are sadly mistaken. Why don't you talk with some retired NFL players who can't walk down a flight of stairs or who are suffering the effects of multiple concussions? The NFL provides NO retirement plan, health insurance, etc. so these former players are totally on their own.

That being said, the whole "treatment of the players" issue has more to do with the fact that MMA is a sport still in it's formative years and is still building a fan base. It is far less established than the NFL, NBA, etc. So to compare the salaries that the athletes make or the fortunes they have after their playing days are done is suspect at best. And it has little to do with your original post regarding barbarianism. The simple fact of the matter is that other sports are every bit as brutal as MMA. And if you want to tell me that you have issues with boxing, football, hockey, etc as well, then I am fine with your point. At least it is consistent. However, if you do not have the same feelings towards other such sports, you are just ill-informed or potentially ignorant.