Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a saboteur

Truth.

No one makes my choices, but me.

Also, someone offering you cake is not sabotage. That's nice. I always just make my birthday party guests watch me eat my entire cake. It is MY birthday.

Yeppers! Cake should be eaten occasionally, and so should pie. Those aren't "bad" foods. They are "sometimes" foods. Like don't eat a big slice of cake on the same day you hit up the all-you-can-eat buffet. At the potlucks, cut the slice in half and just eat half, then you can tell the baker how yummy it is. When I do potlucks, I put approximately one bite of each thing on my plate.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy and saboteur.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're trying to sabotage you, it sounds more like they're in the mindset of diet = misery, so they're trying to "help" you by "letting" you have a break from it. A lot of people are in this mindset. When you say "I can't eat that because..." they hear "I'd really like to eat that but I'm not allowed to and I'm forcing myself to be good against my wishes" and so they see it as giving you permission to do what you really want to do.

You can't really change other peoples' mindset, but you can change how you put it to them, so they'll leave you alone.

"no thanks, I'm totally stuffed after my lunch"
    "no thanks, I'm not in the mood for anything sweet right now"
    or
    "I'm really full/not in the mood, but can I take one for later?" --- then throw it in the bin later when they're not looking, and if they ask, tell them it was delicious.

that way they get the message "I don't really want this" and they leave you alone.
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Cute post! I can relate to this!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    this!
    Just keep repeating your first answers. And look at it this way, if you can say no to them, then you can say no any time you're faced with the sweet trolley and it will be good learning for the future once you've reached your goal weight. Keep being firm, they're probably just jealous because they can't say no.

Or think of more come backs:

sure you can eat this! - No I can't, I'm trying to lose weight.
    what do you mean you don't want any? it's delicious! - It looks delicious and as much as I'd love to eat it, I'm trying to lose weight.
    just a little won't hurt anything - It would hurt my diet as I'm trying to lose weight.
    you don't need to lose weight, you look fine! - I may look fine on the outside but my heart won't love me for it (who needs to know?)
    but i made it just for you! - The thought is really appreciated but I'm trying to lose weight.
    well, you ate it the last time i made it. - That was before the diet started and it was delicious but now I'm trying to lose weight.
    are you mad at me, is that why you won't eat? - No, I'm just trying to lose weight
    well, your doctor's not here, and what he doesn't know won't hurt him. - He will know when I next steps on his scales.
    oh, pooh, one little cupcake won't kill you. - It won't kill me but it won't help with my weight loss either.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I deal with this all the time with my step grandma 24/7. at the church pot luck she was barking at my not eating sweets making fun of me for eating strawberries. I said sorry I can't afford to eat sweets I learned in a nutrition class eating to many sweets causes strokes so you probably don't want to eat sweets either. that is probably why you started having strokes this year.

and everytime she makes fun of me for my eating I say well eating this way and all the problems you complain about are caused by a poor diet. if you would eat properly you wouldn't have the problems you do now.
  • arrexu
    arrexu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I understand where you, the OP, are coming from. I had an old boyfriend who was a food pusher. Whenever I got serious about losing weight, he suddenly had all of these cravings for really unhealthy food. He'd insist on going out and getting dinner when I wanted to stay home and cook. It was hurtful because I would talk to him about my weight loss efforts and goals, so he knew it was something that I was trying to do for myself. Then, of course, when HE got serious about losing weight, he would judge me for indulging myself in a sometimes food and shame me for not going to the gym as often as I should have when I had busy weeks. Good thing I'm not dating him anymore! :P

I agree that one would be hard pressed to find people that are actually deliberately trying to derail your new lifestyle choices, but I don't necessarily agree with the claims that there is "no such thing as saboteurs." I don't necessarily think it's a good strategy to just say "oh, if I give in, I'm weak" because tearing yourself down like that does not help in the long run (come on, we're all human, nobody is ever perfect 100% of the time). I just think it's best to be aware of people in your life that will push temptations in your path on your weight loss journey, and it's up to you to decide how to handle those people. They may not have evil intentions, but they're definitely doing something on the sub-conscious level. It's also important to be aware of people who will help you along the way on your journey, and they can help you with facing temptations.
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    The problem is with setting precedents. My father shoes affection by cooking for you, which became quite problematic. I explained many times that the satisfaction of eating something unhealthy is nothing compared to the guilt that follows it. He said I do so much sport, I said I don't wanna do it in vain. And this went on and on.

Eventually, I reached a point where the guilting got too much and I said I come less frequently to visit because I'm anxious about being stuffed with food a week in advance, and the following week I have to starve myself to compensate. Add a few tears and the melodrama worked. (Don't worry, I'm not stressed about it, but I just couldn't prove the point)

Eventually, my family and friends adapted. They would say "look, I'm really in the mood for some junk food today. How about we meet for breakfast tomorrow instead of lunch today?"

But then, come my birthday I slipped up. I ate some of my birthday cake (3 slices worth of it...) which my father took as a sign that I'm ready to trash my diet again. For two months, I'm still trying to erase that precedent I set on my birthday, even though the situation is ridiculous.

So, my advice is this:

Step 1: Muster all your strength and be consistent in denying unhealthy food. I may not slip up in the presence of any of those saboteurs, cos you'll just confirm their expectation of you.

Step 2: Use some time related-excuses: "I will not have processed sugar till next week. I'm sure you caught me on a bad day, but I'll make it up to you later"
    "I'm training for a race in may and eating healthy is my primary objective"
    "X made a bet that I can't lose weight by this date, and if I give in now I will not reach this goal"
    This works because it's easier for the people in your life to accept a delay, rather than a clear refusal. Also, if you can pick some goal they can support you with, it's even better: "I need to prove to myself that I can refrain from snacking and I need your support in this"

Step 3: Cultivate their expectations. In time, you'll have a sort of a new identity, You'll be the person the works out and eats healthy, and people will accept you as you are. You're not only changing yourself, but you are changing how others see you, and that's an important step. When your friends and family expect you to act in a certain way, expect you to avoid unhealthy food, it will much easier to do so.

Step 4: Never compromise your new image, Of course, we all need cheat days, we need refeed days, and little breaks. BUT others don't see all the work you've put into it, don't see your diet in perspective. They see you indulge once and assume you do that all the time.
    So, when in public, act in accordance with your image no matter what! If you smoke one cigarette but some coworker sees you, they assume you smoke.
    O course, this is very hard, especially when you feel like you should have your moments of indulgence in the company of friends and family. But if you do that, try to explain that this is your reward meal after 2 weeks of discipline.

Step 5: Use step 4 as motivation. Once you know how a slip up can mess up with your friends' support of your effort, use that knowledge to motivate yourself into not slipping up. My nutrition is absolute perfection around my father, because I know one slip up will make him look at me as if i'm not consistent with my goals.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    in response to those who have mentioned that there is no such thing as a saboteur: i understand what you are saying, but i respectfully disagree. allow me to 'splain. perhaps our difference in opinion comes from the definition. i do not define 'saboteur' as someone offering delicious treats or any other food in a friendly manner - some people are naturally hospitable and would be happy to share with the world. it is then MY RESPONSIBILITY to accept or decline. nobody can make that decision for me. if i choose to accept, it does not make the other person a saboteur.

i define 'saboteur' as someone who, intentionally, with evil intent, knowingly tries to undermine my determination to keep my blood sugar under control, lose some weight, and become healthier. if i decline, a saboteur will then argue with me, try to manipulate me, or somehow 'punish' me if i don't give in. because of course it is a POWER STRUGGLE and has nothing to do with food.

they may be saboteurs (according to my own definition), but i am the only one who can make them SUCCESSFUL saboteurs. but yes, they do exist.

i would like to be treated with respect. if i say,'no thank you', that's what i mean. if i say, 'yes, thank you', that's what i mean.

what i am trying to say is that i would like people, if they are not going to actively work with me, to at least not actively work against me. of course i am not asking anything of anyone that i would not be willing to do myself, so i would be more than happy to return the favor - i will allow you the dignity of making your own decisions, even if i do not always agree with your decision. please allow me the same dignity. you want to discuss my decisions? sure. that's reasonable. but please do not invalidate my health concerns in the process.

however, i can not change anybody else, even if they frustrate me to the point of posting about them!

thanks for 'listening', everybody. i feel better now.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Bury them in the backyard. Done.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

This...the only person who can sabotage you is you.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy and saboteur.

27642869_655_thumb.jpg
    ^ lol well duh you're the cookie monster. :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

^^ this. As some chick around here once said, "This is not WWII and you are not a munitions filled train."

Thank you.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    One that works for me is, "No thanks. I've already had a treat today."

Another idea is, "I don't want to eat this, but if you have any veggies, I'll have some of those." or, "Your food looks great, but I've already eaten. Do you want to go for a walk with me after you're done eating?"

Usually, if you tell the person that you've already accounted for your food for the day, but you are still willing to participate in something with them, like another food, or a workout, or any alternative activity, they handle the news better. If you simply reject their food, they just feel rejected, like your diet is more important than their friendship. Switch the topic onto something else, and when you do talk about whatever else you've done or are going to do, show some enthusiasm for it.

Food is generally used as a gesture to socialize. If you send back another gesture to allow the person to be close to you without actually eating their calorie bomb, they usually accept.
  • nashsheri33
    Options
    folks, before posting any more "there's no such thing as a saboteur" - type comments, please read my above response.

apparently i have caused some confusion. let me clarify:

i do not give in to temptation. if i make an unhealthy choice, i understand who is responsible. i am.

that is not why i call some people saboteurs. please read my above response.

i am not whining and complaining because i haven't been successful in my endeavor to live healthier and those 'meanies' and 'unsupportive' people that i can't get away from are the ones to blame -poor, poor, pitiful me! - no, i have actually been very successful, as a matter of fact.

i just get aggravated by them and instead of giving in to the urge to violently squash them all like bugs, i decided to vent. that is all.

thank you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

^^ this. As some chick around here once said, "This is not WWII and you are not a munitions filled train."

I remember that comment. :laugh: That was so awesome!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    i define 'saboteur' as someone who, intentionally, with evil intent, knowingly tries to undermine my determination to keep my blood sugar under control, lose some weight, and become healthier. if i decline, a saboteur will then argue with me, try to manipulate me, or somehow 'punish' me if i don't give in. because of course it is a POWER STRUGGLE and has nothing to do with food.

they may be saboteurs (according to my own definition), but i am the only one who can make them SUCCESSFUL saboteurs. but yes, they do exist.

i would like to be treated with respect. if i say,'no thank you', that's what i mean. if i say, 'yes, thank you', that's what i mean.

Yes, people need to respect the wishes of others. However, "with evil intent" is most likely pushing this much too far.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    This is the best answer I've seen on here. Well said :)
    The problem is with setting precedents. My father shoes affection by cooking for you, which became quite problematic. I explained many times that the satisfaction of eating something unhealthy is nothing compared to the guilt that follows it. He said I do so much sport, I said I don't wanna do it in vain. And this went on and on.

Eventually, I reached a point where the guilting got too much and I said I come less frequently to visit because I'm anxious about being stuffed with food a week in advance, and the following week I have to starve myself to compensate. Add a few tears and the melodrama worked. (Don't worry, I'm not stressed about it, but I just couldn't prove the point)

Eventually, my family and friends adapted. They would say "look, I'm really in the mood for some junk food today. How about we meet for breakfast tomorrow instead of lunch today?"

But then, come my birthday I slipped up. I ate some of my birthday cake (3 slices worth of it...) which my father took as a sign that I'm ready to trash my diet again. For two months, I'm still trying to erase that precedent I set on my birthday, even though the situation is ridiculous.

So, my advice is this:

Step 1: Muster all your strength and be consistent in denying unhealthy food. I may not slip up in the presence of any of those saboteurs, cos you'll just confirm their expectation of you.

Step 2: Use some time related-excuses: "I will not have processed sugar till next week. I'm sure you caught me on a bad day, but I'll make it up to you later"
    "I'm training for a race in may and eating healthy is my primary objective"
    "X made a bet that I can't lose weight by this date, and if I give in now I will not reach this goal"
    This works because it's easier for the people in your life to accept a delay, rather than a clear refusal. Also, if you can pick some goal they can support you with, it's even better: "I need to prove to myself that I can refrain from snacking and I need your support in this"

Step 3: Cultivate their expectations. In time, you'll have a sort of a new identity, You'll be the person the works out and eats healthy, and people will accept you as you are. You're not only changing yourself, but you are changing how others see you, and that's an important step. When your friends and family expect you to act in a certain way, expect you to avoid unhealthy food, it will much easier to do so.

Step 4: Never compromise your new image, Of course, we all need cheat days, we need refeed days, and little breaks. BUT others don't see all the work you've put into it, don't see your diet in perspective. They see you indulge once and assume you do that all the time.
    So, when in public, act in accordance with your image no matter what! If you smoke one cigarette but some coworker sees you, they assume you smoke.
    O course, this is very hard, especially when you feel like you should have your moments of indulgence in the company of friends and family. But if you do that, try to explain that this is your reward meal after 2 weeks of discipline.

Step 5: Use step 4 as motivation. Once you know how a slip up can mess up with your friends' support of your effort, use that knowledge to motivate yourself into not slipping up. My nutrition is absolute perfection around my father, because I know one slip up will make him look at me as if i'm not consistent with my goals.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Will power is like a muscle, you have to work it to make it stronger.
    Just tell them " no I don't want to eat that but thank you for your help strengthening my will power ":laugh:
  • nashsheri33
    Options
    One that works for me is, "No thanks. I've already had a treat today."

Another idea is, "I don't want to eat this, but if you have any veggies, I'll have some of those." or, "Your food looks great, but I've already eaten. Do you want to go for a walk with me after you're done eating?"

Usually, if you tell the person that you've already accounted for your food for the day, but you are still willing to participate in something with them, like another food, or a workout, or any alternative activity, they handle the news better. If you simply reject their food, they just feel rejected, like your diet is more important than their friendship. Switch the topic onto something else, and when you do talk about whatever else you've done or are going to do, show some enthusiasm for it.

Food is generally used as a gesture to socialize. If you send back another gesture to allow the person to be close to you without actually eating their calorie bomb, they usually accept.

humm....well, this does make a lot of sense. perhaps if i acknowledge the effort and love that went into the food they would not feel rejected. but what about those that bring in store-bought cookies? ah, then they were thinking of me when they bought it, and i appreciate that so much...oh, i can do this.

thanks!