Calling all HAPPILY married people for 20+ years...

Options

Replies

• simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    We've been married for 9 years. My parents have been married for 36 years, my husband's parents for 32 years, his grandparents 46 years (til his grandpa died), my grandparents married late (in their 40's) and then my grandma died on their 20th anniversary. My brother is going on 12 years.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We've been married for 9 years. My parents have been married for 36 years, my husband's parents for 32 years, his grandparents 46 years (til his grandpa died), my grandparents married late (in their 40's) and then my grandma died on their 20th anniversary. My brother is going on 12 years.

Our family is the same way. In fact, my little brother and his wife started "dating" in grade 4, so they've been together almost 30 years and have been married for 15. Their class pictures growing up they are holding hands and they have their first "love letters" written in crayon! LOL My mom is twice divorced (a runner, followed by an abuser), but has been living with my step dad for 34 years (they never married). My hubbies parents are still married (40 or so years). Even the bulk of my friends are all in 15 year or more relationships (hubby and I are together 24, married for 20 in June).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've been with my husband for 23 years. We'll have been married 21 years in May. There have been ups and down, good and bad throughout our marriage, but I will say that it is stronger now than it ever has been. He is my best friend and soul mate. We share core values and that's a hugely important part of a relationship to me. I can't imagine my life without him in it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The two most important ingredients for a good marriage: 1) Marry a person of good character (it is nearly impossible to love a mate with outrageous character lapses which cause you continuous pain and grief) 2) YOU be a person of good character. Be the person you want in him/her. From there, it all works out. :love:
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    20 years together, 13.5 married. NOTHING is how I imagined/planned - life has thrown some real sh1t at us, and I still feel grateful every day (almost lol) that we met, and that he perservered despite everything;) I can't imagine what the next 20 years will bring (but surely things can't get much worse than some of the darkest times we have already made it through!), but whatever it is, it will be easier and better for facing them together. I can't imagine life without him, and wouldn't know where to start tbh.....

Feb 13 was 10 years together, next Feb 15 will be 10 years married. What a ride it has been. He moved to Canada for me, now I've moved to the US for him. I can't tell you how much we've learned from each other. :-)) I can't imagine going through lifes challenges with anyone else. He's the best thing that ever happened to me :-)))
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    18 years last week to my dearest friend! 4 kids, lots of laughs, lots of adventures! I am looking forward to MANY more years with him.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Married 17 years next month but been together for 23 years. He's the love of my life and my very best friend and we have so much fun together :)
  • don210
    Options
    39 years and counting for the wife and me. We were at the gym today at 5:45 am, her doing circuit training, me on the step-elliptical. Thank God every day for what we have together. Thanks for the topic, it's nice to see so many positive things written.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have been married to my wonderful husband for 20 years. We had great examples in our parents who have both been married over 40 years. Marriage is hard work but worth every moment. If you expect roses and rainbows every day you never have the moments that make you appreciate them.
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 24 years!! He is my rock and my best friend!! He has always been there for me and supports me all the way with my weight loss journey!! Last October we lost our middle son to a tragic event- he was 17. I know for a lot of couples this would cause many to grow apart and blame each other but this has brought us even closer and we vowed to always be there for each other and our other 2 sons. I don't know what I would have done without him!!
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    Options
    I've been happily married for 12 yrs but we've dated for 20yrs. I love this thread.:heart:

11612750.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Married for 19 years but been together since 1986! He was 17 and I was 23 when we met all those years ago! Has it been hard? Hell yes it has! Would we do it all again? Oh yes! Are there things we would do differently? Yes! Would I change my life experiences with my hubby? No! We have grown up together, learned a lot along the way. We are more in love now then at any point in our lives. Can't wait to be old and gray holding hands on the front porch! Biggest lesson learned has been communication is the key! Oh and remove drama from your life even if it means leaving old friends and family behind! Listen to each other and leave others out of it!!
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just had our 25th wedding anniversary a few months ago, & I love him as much now as the day I married him (maybe even more)! I loved reading all the posts on this thread, but also want to say how impressed I am with the guys who posted a reply. The fact that you are willing to brag about being happily married just shows how you've stayed married so long!
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Celebrating 41 great years with my honey next week.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Together 29, married 24 this year- best friend, support, and partner a gal could ask for!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ooh ! a positive thread, even after this many posts. Love it

My lady has put up with me for over 20 years now
  • dianatogo
    dianatogo Posts: 37
    Options
    Soon to be 25 years for us. Being married is easy. Simply marry the best man you've ever met that makes you laugh and is handsome inside and out. :heart:
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    28 years and counting. I've got one of the good ones, I think. :laugh:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Twenty-five years this year for me. But, what I really want to mention is that my aunt and my uncle, who just died this week, were married for 68 years! And, i never saw any lessening of affection.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    24 Years as of May 27, 2013. I would still be single if I hadn't met my husband the day after I got out of bootcamp (Navy). He assigned me my barracks room.