Could I wear this dress to a friend's wedding?

Options

Replies

• Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Beautiful dress!! But, it is too close to bridal. Steer clear.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Is your friend wearing a white wedding dress?? I find it hard to believe she'd be that insecure as to get upset about the kind of dress you are wearing. You think she'd have other things on her mind.

But then maybe that's why I'm a guy. :huh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That is an absolutely gorgeous gown, but I'd say no. It is both too bridal and too "bridesmaidy" (I looked at similar styles for my bridesmaid); you can easily look glamorous in a similar pattern or a lighter color, but the combination of length, glitz AND ivory/white is a bit too much. Plus, if you have to ask, it means you already know the answer.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In another color, yes, but not white, dark colors aren't the only option, just not something that looks so bridal...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It looks very bridal. Gorgeous though. Why not show the picture to your friend and say "I found this dress and I was thinking of wearing it to your wedding but I wanted to get your opinion on it. If you think it's going to overshadow your dress then I'll wear something else. I just didn't want to buy it, wear it and have you be upset over it."
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Oh heck....life is too short! WEAR IT!!!! :love:

It is beautiful! :flowerforyou:
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    no way, not to a wedding
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Is your friend wearing a white wedding dress?? I find it hard to believe she'd be that insecure as to get upset about the kind of dress you are wearing. You think she'd have other things on her mind.

But then maybe that's why I'm a guy. :huh: :drinker: :bigsmile:

The bride most likely wouldn't notice... but other people would, and as much as one shouldn't care what other people think, as a guest, it's respectful to focus attentions on the happy couple.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It looks very bridal. Gorgeous though. Why not show the picture to your friend and say "I found this dress and I was thinking of wearing it to your wedding but I wanted to get your opinion on it. If you think it's going to overshadow your dress then I'll wear something else. I just didn't want to buy it, wear it and have you be upset over it."

Not even this. Because the bride will feel like the "bad guy" if she says no.......and it's clearly too bridal.

Don't ask, just pick something in a different color than white or ivory.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Not even this. Because the bride will feel like the "bad guy" if she says no.......and it's clearly too bridal.

Don't ask, just pick something in a different color than white or ivory.

exactly, don't ask her, just don't wear it. It's gorgeous, but choose something else to wear to someone else's wedding
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Its a beautiful dress but big faux pas to wear white to a wedding unless otherwise specified... i think it would just make you seem rude and ignorant of common courtesy. Let your friend have her day choose a non white/off white/ champagne/ cream color.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    any color but this
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you had to ask, you already knew the answer. That looks like a wedding dress, it's not appropriate to wear to someone else's wedding. It is beautiful though!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No. Go with a different dress and a different color.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It looks too bride-like to me. I've seen many brides with a similar style. I think you can pull off any color but white/ivory colors (although it's also nice to not wear the same color of the bridesmaids if you know what they are wearing).
  • PopCorn_Said
    Options
    You could, but every atendee would comment on how you should never wear white/ivory to a wedding that is not your own... Have you gone to the store and made sure they don't have that dress in another color?
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    don't wear a full length gown, and especially not in white... :grumble:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to think that deep colors are my only option. It would be nice to wear something glamorous like this. But to where?

I don't go to top level benefit dinners, but I do go to plenty of weddings.

It would be nice to go all out and look gorgeous after loosing some weight.

You have an entire rainbow of colors to choose from with the exception of white and ivory. To be honest, you kind of sound a little selfish. It's not your day, it's hers.

ETA: It's not just the color. It looks like a wedding dress.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I like the second one of these two :smile: