Replies

• Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    <
    Been eating at 1800+ for nearly a year with fabulous results. Best progress I've made has been since making this change and eating according to the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This past week I've been tired, and eating over goal every day, so decided to up cals again - just reset to 1950 and will see how this goes for the next 4-6 weeks, and adjust if needed.

It works, it's sustainable, and so much easier for me - I really wish I had discovered the the thread I linked three years ago. No more guilt from going over 1200, or even 1400 or 1500 cals, no more plateaus, no more anxiety over birthdays, dinners out, holidays - my body is so much happier, and I look and feel so much better.

Don't be afraid to eat more - there are so many of us having such good results, and countless threads posted weekly from people who are "staying below 1200, working my butt off and scale isn't moving" or "tired and burnt out", "scale is stuck, this doesn't work even though I eat my 1200", etc etc. Which crowd do you want to be like? :tongue:

My dairy is open, and there are other photos in my profile (I think those are public, not sure), feel free to have a look. I'll never go back to under-fueling this body - 44 years old and I look and feel better than I did in my 30's. :drinker:

Thank you! Wow you look amazing, your arms are killer! I totally Peeped your diary, it's lovely and realistic.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just upped from 1780 to 2000 and am still losing. I never thought this would be possible - I started out at 1200 like most others, it really works.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just ate 1500 calories worth of almonds as a snack. So today I'm upping.

That is a lot of almonds.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP in July 2011, I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out 5-6 days a week. I lost about 1 pound per week. After doing much reading, I decided that was too little food for my activity level so I upped it to 1600 to 1800 calories a day and consistently lost 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. It worked for me!
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I haven't weighed in yet and I know there will likely be a gain. I feel bloated. :ohwell:
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I did, I just make sure my net calories for the day are at least 1200, since I started doing this two weeks ago, i lost 4 lbs
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this is so hard to decide! I decided not to go with MFP usual 1200 calories and instead upped it to 1360 eating back most exercise calories burned.... however when I calculate my BMR I get anywhere from 1300-2148!!! That's a huge difference. There are 2 sites that both said 1800ish which would mean I'm eating too little. But I don't want to eat more and not gain. Soo confusing!
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories today! I am just as nervous. I've been working out at least an hour a day five times a week, & have been logging on here for weeks. I am happy that my workouts are finally consistent, but now it's time to get serious about dropping those numbers too.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    me!

I was eating 1100-1200 calories and couldn't lose weight

here I am now eating 1400 calories and working out 6 days a week

I am now at 186 pounds

I was 197 pounds before this
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I set my goal at 1400 and I still eat some of my exercise calories back. I had been gaining what I lost originally and then I started to lose again. I can't tell you the rate because I'm not sure but I've lost more than 6 pounds since January. Several weeks in there were gains so I'm happy with the 6 pound loss, especially since I am only trying to lose another 6 pounds.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So what you all going to do when you stop losing weight again, increase them even more to lose more weight lol.
    The truth is if you, had lowered your calories gradually to begin with and not had such an agressive deficit then this problem could have been avoided, lesson learnt i think :)
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is when people get here they follow MFPs goals without thinking much about it. I know that I did. It told me to eat 1200 calories and that is what I was doing. Then I was confused as to why I was gaining weight at that level.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So what you all going to do when you stop losing weight again, increase them even more to lose more weight lol.
    The truth is if you, had lowered your calories gradually to begin with and not had such an agressive deficit then this problem could have been avoided, lesson learnt i think :)
    Since upping mine, I haven't had a stall in weight/fat loss in about a year. :) I do check my numbers as my body changes though, and make adjustments if needed, but so far the only thing I've done is go up another 150 calories just yesterday. If I gain or don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll adjust back down.

Like you said, it's gradual. :bigsmile:
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Me!! After a 12 lb loss then 5 week plateau at 1300 calories a day I increased to 1700 based on a website which works out your TDEE and lost in the first week!! Fingers crossed this is the start of consistent losing again X
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    I think the problem is when people get here they follow MFPs goals without thinking much about it. I know that I did. It told me to eat 1200 calories and that is what I was doing. Then I was confused as to why I was gaining weight at that level.

True enough, mfp built in calorie calculator can be confusing. Surely they would have seen all the 1200 calorie threads littered all over the forums by now, and tried to improve their calorie calculation system!
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    I don't know how many times this video has been posted on these forums, its interesting non the less. DR Layne Norton explains metabolic damage, due to aggressive deficits and low calories. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since upping mine, I haven't had a stall in weight/fat loss in about a year. :) I do check my numbers as my body changes though, and make adjustments if needed, but so far the only thing I've done is go up another 150 calories just yesterday. If I gain or don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll adjust back down.

Same thing happened to me. When I upped my calories from 1800 to 2600, I never plateaud as I maintained a very small deficit. And I am doing the same thing now, post a bulk phase. I am consistently losing 1 lb per week pending my diet is good for the week.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options

I love hearing that! I actually didn't start out on MFP, I started on WW so I am not sure where I was cal wise.
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been reading articles that say you should eat more to lose weight and have had a lot of questions. When I lost about 30 pounds 2.5 years ago I was eating a lot and exercising a lot. I got sick and was not able to exercise for a month or so and when I got back into it I did it slowly...I had gained a few pounds and felt like I was starting compeltely over. I started using MFP and it told me my calorie intake should be like 1,210 and I thought that was a drastic cut, but figured they knew what they were talking about. I felt terrible when I'd eat more than that number and didn't really log much on the weekends b/c I am terrible on weekends. I recently started only half using the app to track things and have been eating more. I finally feel like I am making some progress and losing some weight. Aftrer all, 1,210 calories is not much when you consider I burn 500-600 a day at the gym. I don't want or need to lose a drastic amount of weight but would like to get back down to what I was 2 summers ago!