"OMG how did you loose the weight?"

Options

Replies

• Missanscott1
    Options
    That's funny and congrats on your weight loss! You look fantabulous!!!!! I just started so I have a long ways to go but I am truckin along =)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I am determined to do this with simple portion control and exercise even if it kills me. Just to prove a point...
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My dad and aunt had bariatric surgery. My aunt looks good, my dad didn't keep losing and probably even gained some weight back. Did he really learn anything about eating healthy and portion control? No. Also I had a patient at a hospital that chose the surgical option, and her body couldn't absorb hardly any nutrition. She looked anorexic skinny and all her electrolytes were out of whack! Plus your hair thins out because you don't absorb as many nutrients!

I think I'd rather stick with diet and exercise than go "under the knife" to lose weight!
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    I love it, especially after I've explained it and then they say....but I couldn't do that, I'd miss chocolate too much. I have chocolate every single night unless I just genuinely don't fancy any. I work it into my diary the night before at the same time as I'm weighing my grapes and adding all my other stuff for the next day in. I explain this to them, 'Oh you have to weigh food and write stuff down? I couldn't be doing with all that faff!!!' faff??!! it's the easiest thing I've ever done compared to weight watchers/low carb etc. I just need to know how many calories are in what I eat, simples. How is this so hard for people to get their head round? Also, it's my way of being accountable and I love it, I am taking responsibility for my weight and my health and it is a great feeling Some people honestly do want to hear unless it's something where they have to put in absolutely no effort or thought into it and results in the weight just disappearing from their bodies.

I love the excuses too, especially the one someone else mentioned about having time because of not having kids. No I don't but I'm still plenty busy with the 60-70 hours a week I spend out of the house at work, on top of keeping my house in order, general day to day stuff, having a life and so on and so on. I also point out that plenty of people on mfp do have kids and still miraculously manage it. At the end of the day if you really want it you'll do it, everyone has a potential excuse kids/work/illness/age/time etc etc but it's up to you whether you choose to use that excuse to get in your own way or not. I've done it myself as I'm sure some of us here have in the past but I'm so glad I stopped doing it and got my *kitten* in gear as I'm starting to actually feel proud of myself for once about something :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This always motivated my wife.

picFrance.jpg

Fixed it. :)
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I tell people that they have to change the way they eat, they look like that's not gonna happen. I want to say (but don't) "well, I guess you'll be asking me this next year when you are even larger or haven't lost anything". These are people that work out all of the time; they bust their butt in the gym and make no progress but keep doing the same thing. They also act like they are gonna try a new type of diet (that I know will not work for them because it's not achievable long term). I try to tell them that losing 1 -2 lbs a week is a great weight loss and they look at me like that'll take too long.
    They want to lose 75 lbs in 4 - 6 months. I mean, I know some people are successful in doing that and keeping it off but I don't personally know anyone that has.... PLUS if they lose 1 lb a week, that's freaking 52 lbs (yeah, they'll end up going through plateaus) but seriously... since when was losing 50 lbs not enough.

It drives me up the wall, but it's in their brains... you can't fix that for them; they have to fix it themselves.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I think people wanting a magic cure has a lot to do with all the marketing of crazy ridiculous products. I got a flier the other day saying I could train my body to shed 60lbs in 30 days by sleeping....
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I think people wanting a magic cure has a lot to do with all the marketing of crazy ridiculous products. I got a flier the other day saying I could train my body to shed 60lbs in 30 days by sleeping....
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    bump to read later:smile:
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For those people, I tell them I've been snorting lines of Sensa.

They shut up.

Win. I am totally using this one.

My thoughts, EXACTLY! I am not there, yet, but I am building up an arsenal. hahah
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38lbs so far and no one has noticed :o(

I bet they have noticed and are too nervous or jealous to comment! I AM SURE YOU ARE ROCKING IT!!!! Congrats on the loss :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^Oh is this the HOT DOG sprinkles powder? Me too, I wanna say this. Combined with the other threads "If i wanted to look like you, I'd workout like you" for people who have workout comments.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been getting that question pretty regular and instead of saying "diet and exercise" what I say is I use an "App". This is true and it gets their attention. A few of my colleagues have subsequently joined MFP and are on a good weightloss journey.

I told 3 co-workers about MFP. Two of them are using it...not as diligently as they should be but they are exercising a lot and losing weight. The other co-worker who has a lapband (that's no longer really acting as a lapband), initially lost about 80 lbs with the lapband, gained it all back, has cholesterol out the roof, and a BMI of 46 said "oh what's the name of it again? and what's it about? i'm going to look it up!" Then she looked it up right then and there and shook her head "oh I see. It will probably tell me I can only eat 300 calories/day." She clicked out of it, and well that was the end of that.
  • wldrose75
    Options
    I also hate the people who do believe me when I say I move more and eat less, but turn around and say that they can't do that, they aren't like me, they don't have "willpower." As if I have this magic thing called willpower that makes it easy for me. As if that makes it so I don't want to eat the chips and cookies; makes me always want to go out in the cold and snow after a long day at work to exercise. "Willpower" is a $10 word that people use as an excuse not to do what they know they should. No one has it, some of us just suck it up and do it anyway.

Wow! You've lost 56lbs?! You have such willpower. I couldn't do that. That's why I just swallowed a couple of baby tapeworms... (This'll really get you the "you've lost your frickin' mind" stare. :wink: )
  • Lauren2H
    Lauren2H Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread for those of us on here just starting out. A good reminder to stick with MFP and skip the tapeworm phase altogether! ;)
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    *Lose*
    Loose can also be a verb. It's kind of a stretch, but you can interpret the topic title as grammatically correct with the given spelling.

i.e. "I have loosed my fat upon the earth. May god have mercy on mankind." kind of like "Let loose the kraken!" or as google gives an example: "The hounds have been loosed"

This is my pet peeved. You don't loose weight you lose weight
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    I don't tell people I'm "dieting" .. it's funny because I don't no one seems to dare ask if I've lost weight.

Only a few close friends know ... and I did have one lady at the pool say "your swimmers are getting a bit loose" ... I just said "Don't you hate how the chlorine eats your togs?"

Another person I catch up with from time to time asked if I lost weight .. and I just lied and told her I'd put it on .. and was glad that she hadn't asked if I'd got fatter LOL

I'm curious to how long it will take work people to say something.
  • kimholcomb
    kimholcomb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    .:
  • coralietg
    coralietg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :sad: I was just told this morning (on a fb group) by someone that I should not tell people who wants to take diet pills that it is unhealthy, as "you have know idea what it feels like to be obese, and exercise and eating healthy is not easy and not always possible if you are obese"....And that people who are not obese should not tell other people how to do it....
    Uhm,,,yeah, I was obese, I did it the hard way, and therefore know what I am talking about.....

It makes me sad when people say things like that. Everyone started someone. I'm still considered obese, I have 4lbs left to lose until I am "overweight". I ran 4.2 miles this afternoon. I started by running 30 seconds. People want results and change over night.