"Atkins Flu" SUCKS

Options

Replies

• sorg2112
    sorg2112 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is important to take a multivitamin because low potassium also causes headaches. I watched a good video by Dr. Eric Westman on the new adkins diet. He is the co-author of the New Adkins Diet and he explains his research. It's very informative. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM&list=LLY65HW1sUTZueB9CPtVt9cg
  • kspitalsky
    Options
    My boyfriend did the Atkins diet and lost a lot of weight, but he couldn't maintain eating almost no carbs his entire life and did gain the weight back which is something to think about. Robert Atkins actually had a heart attack (he claimed it was unrelated to the diet), but it may be something to think about. Have you tried eating SOME carbs and raising the amount of proteins and fats? Not passing judgement, I just don't want you to have awful side effects, lose weight, then gain it right back and be discouraged :/ My gyno suggested this book since I'm struggling to lose weight "the schwarzbein principle"
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    OP listen to me -- you said the A word. Never, never use that word!

Say you are doing Paleo or Keto, but never breathe that A word on here!

The answer to your question is -- POTASSIUM. That will do the trick.

I bought some Lo-Salt, which is 66% potassium and 33% sodium, and use it liberally on meat. You could even put it in water and just drink it.

The reason you feel crappy is that your body is becoming keto-adapted. This means you are switching from carb-burning to fat-burning, and it takes a few days for the body to change over. It has to run down its supply of carbs (i.e. glycogen) before it will start to draw from stored fat. And just like a car running out of gas, you feel run down and tired.

But once the change-over is made -- whoosh - a HUGE rush of energy like you have never felt before.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Could it be a coffee withdrawal headache? I know when I did Atkins after 3 days I felt like I was going to die! Advice? Paracetamol and tough it out. It will go. Or if you are a lightweight (like I was) have a half caf coffee.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend did the Atkins diet and lost a lot of weight, but he couldn't maintain eating almost no carbs his entire life and did gain the weight back which is something to think about. Robert Atkins actually had a heart attack (he claimed it was unrelated to the diet), but it may be something to think about. Have you tried eating SOME carbs and raising the amount of proteins and fats? Not passing judgement, I just don't want you to have awful side effects, lose weight, then gain it right back and be discouraged :/ My gyno suggested this book since I'm struggling to lose weight "the schwarzbein principle"

He died when he slipped and fell. It was unrelated.

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on an icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma. He spent nine days in intensive care before dying on April 17, 2003, from complications from his head injury.

He had suffered a heart attack however. Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest in April 2002, leading many of his critics to point to this episode as proof of the inherent dangers in the consumption of high levels of saturated fat associated with the Atkins diet. In numerous interviews, however, Atkins stated that his heart attack was not the result of poor diet, but was rather caused by a chronic infection. Atkins' personal physician and cardiologist, Dr. Patrick Fratellone, confirmed this assertion, saying "We have been treating this condition, cardiomyopathy, for almost two years. Clearly, [Atkins'] own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

He died when he slipped and fell. It was unrelated.

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on an icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma. He spent nine days in intensive care before dying on April 17, 2003, from complications from his head injury.

He had suffered a heart attack however. Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest in April 2002, leading many of his critics to point to this episode as proof of the inherent dangers in the consumption of high levels of saturated fat associated with the Atkins diet. In numerous interviews, however, Atkins stated that his heart attack was not the result of poor diet, but was rather caused by a chronic infection. Atkins' personal physician and cardiologist, Dr. Patrick Fratellone, confirmed this assertion, saying "We have been treating this condition, cardiomyopathy, for almost two years. Clearly, [Atkins'] own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".

^^THANK YOU. :flowerforyou:

Also, OP...I had a couple days of headaches and feeling low during the first week of low carb paleo. When it got unbearable, I ate a little sweet potato with butter and cinnamon and was perfectly fine from there on out. Doing great now--been low carb paleo/primal since July 2012 and feel fantastic. I've got tons of energy and have resolved a bunch of nagging health issues.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Contact Dr. OZ he has the remedy.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a GREAT way to get skinny fat.......... have fun !
  • Fatandfifty3
    Options
    Just to add fat to the Atkins fire... wasn't he horribly overweight when he died?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207828/Dr-Atkins-18st-died.html (ok ok I know its a Daily Mail article!)
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Atkins as I'm not into those kinds of diets and haven't read all the replies so sorry if it's been suggested already, but I do remember once a friend becoming quite dehydrated at the start of the diet, and apparently this is one of the common side effects. So, that could be causing your headaches, I know if I'm in anyway dehydrated the first warning sign is a headache. Usually shifts with plenty of water drank at hourly intervals however if it's bad you might need a re-hydration solution. . Just a thought.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Atkins is a GREAT way to get skinny fat.......... have fun !

I wouldn't describe my conditioning here as skinny fat:

2006to2012.jpg

High fat, moderate protein, low carb diets are fine, as long as you balance the fats and proteins correctly. People often lower fats to much leaving no energy. Low energy? Increase your fats a little.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Just to add fat to the Atkins fire... wasn't he horribly overweight when he died?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207828/Dr-Atkins-18st-died.html (ok ok I know its a Daily Mail article!)

Read your own article, Meds can rapidly pile on lots of water weight, pain killers are horrendous and well known for this:-

In April 2002 - a year before his death - Dr Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from 'for a few years'. It was 'in no way related to diet,' he said.

In yesterday's statement, Mr Trager astonished medical observers by saying that Dr Atkins's weight had ballooned only after he fell, when he lay in a coma for two weeks before he died. He claimed the doctor had put on 4st 4lbs because of water-retention.
    Before that, said Mr Trager, Dr Atkins was a robust, active man who frequently played competitive tennis. The statement attacked the Journal, saying it had 'grossly distorted and inaccurately reported' the facts.
    It added: "The newspaper article was based on incomplete personal medical records that were illegally delivered to the newspaper in violation of the law."
    An outraged Mrs Atkins also condemned the newspaper. She said she was speaking out because otherwise "unscrupulous individuals will continue to twist and pervert the truth in an attempt to destroy the reputation and great work of my late husband".
    Last month, Mrs Atkins demanded an apology from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg after he criticised her late husband for being fat. The Mayor has not yet apologised.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Isn't that kind of proof it's not good for you?

Doing that "diet" put me in hospital for 5 days. It's just doesn't work for some and I don't think it's sustainable or healthy for life - so why do it at all?
  • Fatandfifty3
    Options

Read your own article, Meds can rapidly pile on lots of water weight, pain killers are horrendous and well known for this:-

In April 2002 - a year before his death - Dr Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from 'for a few years'. It was 'in no way related to diet,' he said.

In yesterday's statement, Mr Trager astonished medical observers by saying that Dr Atkins's weight had ballooned only after he fell, when he lay in a coma for two weeks before he died. He claimed the doctor had put on 4st 4lbs because of water-retention.
    Before that, said Mr Trager, Dr Atkins was a robust, active man who frequently played competitive tennis. The statement attacked the Journal, saying it had 'grossly distorted and inaccurately reported' the facts.
    It added: "The newspaper article was based on incomplete personal medical records that were illegally delivered to the newspaper in violation of the law."
    An outraged Mrs Atkins also condemned the newspaper. She said she was speaking out because otherwise "unscrupulous individuals will continue to twist and pervert the truth in an attempt to destroy the reputation and great work of my late husband".
    Last month, Mrs Atkins demanded an apology from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg after he criticised her late husband for being fat. The Mayor has not yet apologised.

Oops. Duly slapped. Taken on chin.:blushing:
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Not need, just would rather type out what happened rather than myths :)
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    "Listen to your body" is not good advice. If you were quitting smoking would you "listen to your body?" Your body right now is addicted to sugar and junk. It needs to readjust to using fat for energy.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-i/

Eat more fat--the kind that comes from avocados and coconut, and non-feedlot meat. My husband laughed his head off when I told him about my "carb flu." (I have been off sugar and grains for 3.5 weeks--not Atkins but also lowish carbs.) but it sucked! Now I feel good and you will too. Just avoid the processed chemical crap passed off as "food" and you'll be fine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    "Listen to your body" is not good advice. If you were quitting smoking would you "listen to your body?"

Eat more fat--the kind that comes from avocados and coconut, and non-feedlot meat. My husband laughed his head off when I told him about my "carb flu." (I have been off sugar and grains for 3.5 weeks--not Atkins but also lowish carbs.) but it sucked! Now I feel good and you will too. Just avoid the processed chemical crap passed off as "food" and you'll be fine.

Exactly this as I posted before. This and nuts and other foods containing good EFA's - you'll get good tasty food and hunger issues will drop away.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I for one wouldnt flame the lady who says the Atkins Diet is wrong. We are not meant to run on fats and proteins. Carbs are the first nutrient that is metabolised by your body (after the poisons such as drugs and alcohol which the liver tries to ditch first) and if there is none, then your body will eat up not only fat but muscle tissue too.
    If you feel like crap then something should tell you what you are doing wrong. Teach yourself a proper, controlled and effective nutritional way lof eating which includes ALL food groups and you will do yourself, your body and your life a favour. Could you really keep this Atkins way up for life and feel crap?
    Sure, go for Atkins if you love it and it suits you but this obviously doesnt suit you.
    Go ahead, flame me you Atkins lovers!! I dont give a rat's a** but I do know about nutrition and my plan is working - slowly sure, but its working and I feel GREAT!!
  • beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options

Exactly this as I posted before. This and nuts and other foods containing good EFA's - you'll get good tasty food and hunger issues will drop away.

Yes. This week I was struggling to eat enough calories. I'm just not hungry. "They" say low-carb works because your choices are limited so you eat less out of boredom. Not true in my case. But I'm also eating plenty of veggies and consuming lots of nutrients--no "diet" bars or pre-fab shakes or gluten-free junkfood.