PLS POST SUCCESS WITH BARIATRIC SURGERY

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, since I haven't read all 8 pages...

there is a very helpful group called "VSGers." The group is not particularly active, but most of the members are also friends, so we provide a lot of support to each other on the news feeds.

The main forums are not necessarily supportive or understanding of those who decide on WLS. Feel free to friend me.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    My sister had lap band & I have 2 brothers that had gastric bypass. My sister had a lot of problems keeping food down for the longest time. She lost down to her ideal weight but she didn't make the lifestyle choices necessary to maintain & she learned to "bypass" the benefits of the band by drinking fluids with the junk food to make it pass from her stomach quickly so she could eat more. She has gained all the weight back......

I had a classmate that did the band and also learned a way around it. So it is still about the lifestyle/food/activity change. She would eat ice cream a lot because "it melted and wouldn't fill her up" The most she lost was like 20 pounds because she ate so much crap. Good luck with your surgery. I hope it works for you and you meet your goals!
  • Juliew518
    Juliew518 Posts: 17
    Options
    Like I mentioned in a previous post, I had an RNY in December 2008. I have been very fortunate and have not had any problems. I had a very very good surgeon who is internationally known for doing this surgery, and I am sure that had a lot to do with it -- along with just being fortunate. Yes, I had some co-morbidities and those are gone. I also had some other medical issues that were not weight-related and they went away also.

That said -- the surgery is not easy. It is not a cop out. And it is not for everyone. So just let it be.

Like I also said in a previous post -- I totally reinvented myself after the surgery. I ended up going into a new line of work, moving to a new town -- and basically started over. I do not in general share my surgical experience and no one in the town I live in now except my doctor knows I have had the surgery. A lot of my reticence to share has to do with the hatred, bigotry, prejudice and ignorance that comes along with it as witnessed in this thread.

I didn't want to be "that girl who had a stomach bypass." I'm happier that way. I eat relatively normally and don't have trouble with too many foods -- and if I know of a food that gives me trouble, I just pretend to be a picky eater. I started getting in a bit of trouble because I started grazing (goldfish and maple cookies were my downfall) which is why I joined this group.

When I first had my surgery I cruised the blogs on ObesityHelp.com, but to be honest, I just couldn't get into the OCD of it all. And to be honest, looking at some of the threads here, it seems there's a bit of OCD going on here too. Too each his own.

Yes, I have a small stomach now, but I have a bigger more fuller life. After the surgery, I changed mentally as well as physically, and really just don't care about my weight anymore. I'm too busy living my life. Because of the surgery, food is no longer a "go to" when I am stressed. And that wouldn't have happened if I had done it the "old-fashioned" way. I would still be obsessing and yo-yo-ing if I hadn't had the surgery.

Yes, I am aware of what I can and cannot eat -- but it's just part of me now. I don't think about the surgery and like I said I have not had any complications. I did have a little problem with vitamin D but it is under control with supplements and doing a bit of outside activity in the sunshine.

So, please people, quit judging. It's a hard decision and it is a life changing one. I am glad I did it for many reasons.

For the record, I have a very very very good friend who is extremely overweight, has diabetes and many other serious medical problems. He has lost a leg, part of his other foot, has almost lost his sight, and his joints are failing. He can't comb his hair because he can't lift his arms up to his head. He's got a beautiful home that he bought less than ten years ago that he can't enjoy because he is confined to three rooms, the living room, kitchen and bathroom. He sleeps in a hospital bed in his living room even though he has a beautiful bed in the master suite upstairs. He barely eats anything but with all of the medications he is on he is constantly bloated. Because of his fear of walking due to his diabetes (he lost his leg because he took on an exercise regimen, got a blister on his foot which then got infected and gangrenous) he doesn't move around. He has asked me about the surgery and asked me if I thought he should have it. I told him I would go to the doctor with him if he wanted to discuss if with the doctor, but I would never tell him to do it or not to do it,-- it is too big of a decision, and it's something each person has to decide on their own after a lot of soul-searching and tons and tons of research. I told him I'd share my experience, but would never advise him either way. He knows I have been successful, and he has chosen not to do the surgery. Ultimately, he has chosen not to have the surgery and has also chosen not to try and get better. The point I am trying to make is you can't make that decision for anyone else or make them feel bad for the decision they make. .
  • mfernando6
    Options
    Like I mentioned in a previous post, I had an RNY in December 2008. I have been very fortunate and have not had any problems. I had a very very good surgeon who is internationally known for doing this surgery, and I am sure that had a lot to do with it -- along with just being fortunate. Yes, I had some co-morbidities and those are gone. I also had some other medical issues that were not weight-related and they went away also.

That said -- the surgery is not easy. It is not a cop out. And it is not for everyone. So just let it be.

Like I also said in a previous post -- I totally reinvented myself after the surgery. I ended up going into a new line of work, moving to a new town -- and basically started over. I do not in general share my surgical experience and no one in the town I live in now except my doctor knows I have had the surgery. A lot of my reticence to share has to do with the hatred, bigotry, prejudice and ignorance that comes along with it as witnessed in this thread.

I didn't want to be "that girl who had a stomach bypass." I'm happier that way. I eat relatively normally and don't have trouble with too many foods -- and if I know of a food that gives me trouble, I just pretend to be a picky eater. I started getting in a bit of trouble because I started grazing (goldfish and maple cookies were my downfall) which is why I joined this group.

When I first had my surgery I cruised the blogs on ObesityHelp.com, but to be honest, I just couldn't get into the OCD of it all. And to be honest, looking at some of the threads here, it seems there's a bit of OCD going on here too. Too each his own.

Yes, I have a small stomach now, but I have a bigger more fuller life. After the surgery, I changed mentally as well as physically, and really just don't care about my weight anymore. I'm too busy living my life. Because of the surgery, food is no longer a "go to" when I am stressed. And that wouldn't have happened if I had done it the "old-fashioned" way. I would still be obsessing and yo-yo-ing if I hadn't had the surgery.

Yes, I am aware of what I can and cannot eat -- but it's just part of me now. I don't think about the surgery and like I said I have not had any complications. I did have a little problem with vitamin D but it is under control with supplements and doing a bit of outside activity in the sunshine.

So, please people, quit judging. It's a hard decision and it is a life changing one. I am glad I did it for many reasons.

For the record, I have a very very very good friend who is extremely overweight, has diabetes and many other serious medical problems. He has lost a leg, part of his other foot, has almost lost his sight, and his joints are failing. He can't comb his hair because he can't lift his arms up to his head. He's got a beautiful home that he bought less than ten years ago that he can't enjoy because he is confined to three rooms, the living room, kitchen and bathroom. He sleeps in a hospital bed in his living room even though he has a beautiful bed in the master suite upstairs. He barely eats anything but with all of the medications he is on he is constantly bloated. Because of his fear of walking due to his diabetes (he lost his leg because he took on an exercise regimen, got a blister on his foot which then got infected and gangrenous) he doesn't move around. He has asked me about the surgery and asked me if I thought he should have it. I told him I would go to the doctor with him if he wanted to discuss if with the doctor, but I would never tell him to do it or not to do it,-- it is too big of a decision, and it's something each person has to decide on their own after a lot of soul-searching and tons and tons of research. I told him I'd share my experience, but would never advise him either way. He knows I have been successful, and he has chosen not to do the surgery. Ultimately, he has chosen not to have the surgery and has also chosen not to try and get better. The point I am trying to make is you can't make that decision for anyone else or make them feel bad for the decision they make. .

well said! Congratulations on your success!
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My aunt did it. It was a lot of work and discipline at first. Unfortunately she found she could do some alcohol and sugar (desserts) and put a little of the weight back on. Nowhere near her original start weight, just an extra 20 pounds. Then she got cancer. The RNY had impacts on how the drugs worked because of the absorption issues. She fought hard for a year but we lost her last November. I do believe her last 5 years were better for her because she could be more active and do fun things like cruises and the like. At the heavier weight, it probably would have stopped her from participating in life as much.

Take your time- explore all options. If it's right for you - go for it! Enjoy your new body, and work to keep it healthy.

PS the Unjury protein powder is fantastic! Has a cheese sauce one, a chicken soup one and an unflavored one that is great in orange juice or oatmeal.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck! I have been thinking about seeking this route, but I'm scared really. I feel like I could do it on my own, but there is a deep gut feeling telling me I need to seek medical help becuase things are not moving the way they should regardless of all my working out and good food choices; healthy food choices... Keep us posted would love to hear how things go.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    As much as I have been on here offering advice and words of encouragement when I see post about weight loss surgery (even though I have no problem with people having this done if it is what they deem necessary to aid them in their weight loss) I do like to post on these thread to offer the OP a different view if they haven't heard from or seen other examples. I started at 560 lbs. unable to walk, hell I could barely stand for more than 30 seconds at a stretch and was home bound for over 2 years... I had a computer chair I would roll myself around the house on to get to the kitchen and bathroom. When I hit rock bottom I had spent 3 days in my recliner with a loaded handgun. It had literally come down to get busy living or get busy dying... On that 3rd day I choose life and have worked my Butt off to regain my life. Even from the beginning surgery was never going to be an options because I knew it wasn't my stomach causing my issues it was all in my head... Something was severely broken for me to be consuming 10,000 calories a day and waiting to die.. If I could not fix what was broke in my head then no weight loss surgery would permanently fix this problem so I wanted to get to the heart of the problem first. So my first stop was therapy to address my food addictions from there I had to get a script form my doctor to begin aquatic therapy because I needed water displacement to allow me to stand so that I could stay upright long enough to begin exercising. I spent 17 months in the pool and lost 170 lbs. in the water before I could get fitted with braces (severely bad knee's) to allow me to walk out of the pool on dry ground. I worked with a nutritionist to understand my eating habits and continued to loose weight.. Fast forward 45 months and 311 lbs, down I have almost completely regained control of my life.. (short of 2 knee replacements I am getting in a few months) Was it easy?? Um No!! but I proved it is possible with alot of hardwork... That all being said if anyone feels this method just isn't something they feel they can tackle then by all means do something because the last thing anyone needs to do is to do nothing!!!.... Best of Luck Op sorry wasn't trying to hyjack your thread just offering another view point..... :drinker:

Ed your posts are always so insightful and inspirational. Good luck with the knee replacements.
  • jennsavage3
    jennsavage3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I had VSL done on 3/26/13. I'm down about 62 lbs now. I did not make this decision lightly (as I'm sure you didn't). I had several comorbidities like HBP, diabetes, high cholesterol. Since surgery, I have had completely normal blood sugar and have not had to take any diabetes meds. My BP has been reading low/normal, so they are considering taking me off or at least reducing that med. My other blood work has improved tremendously since surgery, too.

I had a doctor recommend the surgery for me. I had gained about 100 lbs over the last 10 years or so and could NOT take it off. I did Weight Watchers, South Beach, worked out at the gym, but I would lose about 20 lbs, then wind up gaining it back again. What I did when I was in my 20's no longer worked in my 30's and 40's.

It can be hard when you ask for advice in a general forum. It is very common to hear people say to do it the hard way and that you haven't tried hard enough, etc. What they don't realize is that this surgery is a TOOL...you need to be prepared physically and mentally to change your eating habits and to exercise regularly for life. The great thing with the sleeve is that there is no malabsorption issues and they do not have to reroute your intestines like the RNY, and they are not actually putting any foreign objects into your body, like with the band (and you don't have to go in for fills too). These were the reasons why I chose the sleeve.

I go on the ObesityHelp.com website every day. They have an excellent VSL forum, plus other ones too. There you will find people who have had the surgery 6 years ago, 3 years ago, just had the surgery or are preparing/contemplating the surgery. I have found the answer to almost every question I have come up with from reading these posts. A lot of them use MFP, too.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a safe and speedy recovery! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Take care!

Jenn
  • Itha2809
    Itha2809 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had Roux-en-y in March 2012 and my only regret is not having it sooner. I have lost 185lbs at my heavyest I weighed 420lbs.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I notice OP, that you have already lost 79lbs...
  • SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Please be careful with your choice for surgery. I'm sure you have given it a tremendous amount of thought. I wish I could give you a positive personal response from me. However, check out YouTube. Find "Banded Wendy" she will inspire you to see her transformation. You can follow about 4 years worth of video where she documented her weight loss and her entire lifestyle change.
    Last Christmas I seriously considered getting the lap band. I have been heavy for 18 years. I've lost and gained back with weight watchers, so I felt I couldn't do it on my own. But as I researched, I found not only some harrowing stories, I also found out that if I wanted my insurance to pay for part of it, I had to go on a documented weight loss plan for 6 months without any loss. So I thought, what the heck, I will try this MFP out and see how I do on my own first. I took what I learned from BandedWendy and applied it to my efforts and have been pretty successful--but I did it without the surgery.

Well, 6 months and 44 lbs later, I've never looked back. I have taken control, learned about calories and portion sizes--gave up regular Dr. pepper--and the weight has come off and it has been rather easy. I am almost halfway to my goal. I'm down 4 sizes. I'm no longer in the women's department. I'm comfortably in the misses. I couldn't be more pleased. I have made changes that I can live with...much more so than all of the medical issues that come along with surgery. I am so grateful I tried it on my own first.

Please feel free to message me if you want to discuss your thoughts... Good luck! I wish you the best!
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Lovelyladydawn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A friend had the lapband and yes she has lost weight. However, she is no longer as much fun to be around she belches constantly, eats sweets all the time (cause they go down easy) and is FREQUENTLY throwing up because she ate too fast or didn't chew enough etc. She is much more short tempered and I would guess malnourished. I'm sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear and I know there are plenty of those that have had success but at what cost?

Wow, I hope my friends never say these things about me....
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Lovelyladydawn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I realize your post was a while back, however I got the lapband and I love the results so far, I have lost 73lbs and are still following the plans and are losing 1-2lbs per week...
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You tell it like it is!
  • Candi5903
    Candi5903 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say that I had my sleeve done last week and I am doing well. I would recommend you search for specific message boards for WLS or VSG. The people in the general message boards are not always receptive or respectful of our decisions. Best of luck to you!
  • JenCHG
    JenCHG Posts: 74
    Options
    Hello Everyone I will be getting the sleeve done in two weeks and was wondering if you could post your success with weight loss surgery. Thanks!
    Never had the experience but had friends that did and the outlook ended with her gaining back her weight and the other one worked well...to each his/her own.. Best of luck and be carefull :) I was told it would be a great option for me, but never panned out brcause of Budget....and Insurance
  • JenCHG
    Options
    Well said and Kind words!:flowerforyou:
  • JenCHG
    Options
    attacking people is ukind... I salute you for whatever efforts you put fourth..:heart:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont, i did it naturally, however, my aunt got the lap band, and my brother got some other typr of band thing... both of them have had to haveit reversed after years of complications. my aunt is now twice as big as she was before. thats the only experience i know of.
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am trying to change her mind here
    maybe even save her life
    **I realize this is an old thread, but:

Really? Come ON!! Knight in shining armor right here lmao!!

Seriously though, one loud overly opinionated person on the internet is not going to convince someone who has done their research and made up their mind to not go through with a surgery that could very well change their life for the better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!