Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    When someone comes and gets on the treadmill right next to me and there are like 20 other open treadmills.

^^ I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS!!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When people read books while walking or running.

And the only reason that bugs me is because I'm JEALOUS!! I wish I could see the words of a book clearly while walking or running, and could spare some thought to focus on the words. All I can do while working out is think "Oh gosh, is it over yet? Please?"

I used to feel the same way! Then my mom gave me a Nook for my birthday and I can actually read that on cardio equipment! Lays perfectly flat, no pages to turn, make the words as big as necessary. I kinda thought the thing was a waste of money when she gave it to me but I love taking it to the gym. If I'm not focused on the pain or fatigue I go much father much faster. Woo hoo!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    One guy got on the treadmill next to me the other day and literally started throwing punches as if he was Rocky jogging down the streets of Philadelphia!

Needless to say it was short lived, he got off after only a few minutes :noway:

Just warming up/cooling down and loosening the arms up a bit maybe?

Yep. I do this all the time. Especially on upper body lifting days. Plus I get a little extra calorie burn. I'm not there to impress others, I'm there to get the most out of my workout. So what if others think what I'm doing looks silly, I'm there for me.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    people who crank up the incline and hang on to the tops of the treadmill....um...the incline is meant to simulate hiking...would you really hang on to an imaginary treadmill while hiking?!

and the people on an eliptical or bike reading or crosswords...um...you're here to get a workout for your body...not your mind....
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Scooting their feet and you hear this really annoying swishing sound.
    I think it's awesome when anyone wants to workout by the way. Just Pick your feet UP.
    Also, the people that come in smelling like they have took a bath in cologne or perfume. :grumble:
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'll second that one.

Anyone see the article on Yahoo news abotu the women whose menbership was revoked from Planet Fitness because she couldn't stay off of the d@mn thing?

Thumb's up for Planet Fitness - my workout is my "me time" and I don't want it hijacked by the airbrain next to me who thinks s/he is so important that s/he can't leave the phone in the locker room for 30 minutes!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    when they walk backwards (one guy even does a side-to-side crab walk). I mean WTF?

It works different muscles, same concept as going up hill or down hill backwards, a lot of people do it actually.

+1
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't sing out loud, but I will lip synch quite noticeably and I will bop my head in synch with the music. And I run plenty hard. The head bops are just further activity.

As for people who walk on the treadmill "slowly", who cares? I didn't realize there was a speed under which people are entitled to judge others.

As for using a treadmill next to a used one, I will choose the treadmill that is near a tv that has a show I want to watch. If it's next to you, don't assume you're that special.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i hate feeling like the person next to me is competing with me.

i'm insanely competitive, and get really discouraged if i feel like i'm not 'winning'. not being particularly fit, i rarely 'win', so ive gone to a deliberate effort to not go to the gym with people i know, because i'll just compare myself to them and end up feeling bad.

so when the stranger next to me is looking at my speed and incline and then bumping theirs up higher, it just makes me want to give up and go home!

^I'm that person... but I'm not competing I swear! I'm using you as motivation to make my *kitten* work harder.
  • vanessagumdrop
    Options
    There is this one guy who always seems to go to the gym when I go, He brings about two backpacks full of stuff shuffles around for like 20 min changing his socks and shoes and clothing(right next to me) then he is always complaining about how hot it is, when he does get on the treadmill he pulls out a book about 600 pages hardcover and walks at about 1mph.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    The main thing that bugs me is when people on treadmills get all supercilious. I mean, you're running and going nowhere, who are you to say what other people shouldn't be doing.

:laugh: :laugh: :heart:

Dennys is just for me and you now, mmkay? ;)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The main thing that bugs me is when people on treadmills get all supercilious. I mean, you're running and going nowhere, who are you to say what other people shouldn't be doing.

:laugh: :laugh: :heart:

Dennys is just for me and you now, mmkay? ;)

Of course.

You're the only one for me...
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    This thread has proven one thing...

You can't please everyone!

I'm going to go fix my creeping shorts, walk backwards while hanging onto the railings, and read a book while sipping a margarita. :drinker: I hope no one got butthurt or discouraged from the treadmill.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    people actually using the treadmill.... run outside!!! unless you are working on speed or the conditions outside are too harsh.

I run on the treadmill to work on speed or to do intervals, but mostly because I have arthritis in my knee and the treadmill at my gym absorbs some of the shock.

also, I don't feel comfortable running outside at night (there has been a string of attacks in my neighborhood)

Also, I'm from Seattle, helloooooo rain. and then when it's nice out, the good running paths are like highways of people and bikes.

Just saying, people have reasons for not running outside, so who cares?

But what bothers me is cigarette smell or overbearing cologne. It's the only way someone else's work out directly affects me and my asthma
  • lindseymaekeller
    Options
    One guy got on the treadmill next to me the other day and literally started throwing punches as if he was Rocky jogging down the streets of Philadelphia!

Needless to say it was short lived, he got off after only a few minutes :noway:

Just warming up/cooling down and loosening the arms up a bit maybe?

Yeah!!! Nothing wrong with a short 5 mins warm up on the treadmill. Some of us aren't in there to spend HOURSSSSS doing cardio.
  • robine182
    robine182 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious!

Ok so at My Gym you have to spray down the equipment and whipe with a rag theyprovide and are washing all day long. So i'll be running (or using a bike or elliptical) and someone next to me will go to clean their machine and stand 2 feet away and spray across their machine...but i am next to it.....so it get all the spray that goes over or under the hand rails, seat, etc. Nothing like getting sprayed with chemicals!!! HATE THAT! Jsut wanna grab the bottle and point it at them :)
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The complaints in this thread are EXACTLY why I wont join a gym and instead bought my own treadmill and weights.

Also, is there some unwritten law that says you can not work out your mind and your body at the same time? When I first started I would read a book all the time. Helped to keep me going and my mind occupied so I didn't focus on the pain.
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    for those that say walking backwards bothers them. Well after I blew out my mcl and miniscus part of my rehab was walking backward on a treadmill. Yea I felt dumb and people watched and I got funny looks but I had to do it for several months to rehab my knee.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    This is exactly why I have my own treadmill at home ;)) I can talk myself into that extra 2 min, I can sing, I can start and stop with no judgement :) I can grunt and yell and sweat all over and I can do it with pride.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

Funny...that's pretty much my 20 min cool down after a good lifting session. Suck it up Nancy, I paid for my membership too and you have zero clue as to what someone's individual fitness goals are. A nice slow walk is awesome after a brutal lifting session...I don't have much left in the tank to do a whole lot more anyway, but cool down is an important part of the workout.

How 'bout if everyone just minds their own fitness goals...'cuz you don't have a clue what others are really doing.

I agree. I only use the treadmill to warm up or cool down after heavy lifting. Sometimes I can barely walk faster than 2.5 after deadlifts.