Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• menders92
    menders92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wen they kick the front of the treadmill because they don't have the speed high enough...go slower or bump up the speed. How is this hard?

I do that from time to time when Im running on the treadmill
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Crop dusters... :sick:

I'm a big guy still and push myself hard on the treadmill so I'm already huffin and puffin as I run along focusing on doing my thing, the other day I had someone almost knock me off the treadmill with their funk. Nothin like taking a deep breath of someone's noxious fumes. :noway:

Get it out before the gym, or if it hits you then go to the restroom!

Sorry dude, damn protein bars. They hit me right in the middle of my "run".
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    who cares what others are doing? im only concerned about what im doing and yes i talk to my friend on the next treadmill and yes i have been known to hold on to the bars mainly cause i have a bum knee and every so often it goes out without warning and if it does while im on the treadmill and im not holding on im gonna be laying in a heap on the floor
  • Isis2123
    Isis2123 Posts: 36
    Options
    This past weekend I was a few machines down from this guy who was half singing/muttering to himself. That was slightly distracting but to make it worse, every few seconds he'd clear the phlegm from his throat and actually spit onto a towel covering the front of the TM. So gross!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It bugs me when people take all the good spots on the treadmills (good view of the game, not right under the AC).

I was "caught" busting into an air drum solo whilst listing to Tom Sawyer (the Rush song, not an ebook) by a bunch of college aged kids, they were giving me funny looks but at least they didn't throw goats and cheer like in that Audi commercial.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

Really? I'm definitely guilty of this one. Wanna know why? Not only do I have balance issues, but I have a bad leg that I have to be careful doesn't give out on me and this makes me feel like I'm more in control. Don't judge the people next to you...you don't know why they're doing what they're doing.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

This. I'm self conscious enough in my 3rd week at the gym without knowing the runner on the next treadmill is judging me for holding the handles.

Yep! LOL
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

This.

Don't see the point in going on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes - just go outside in the sunshine!

Um, it's March. We just got a foot of snow and there are 25+ MPH winds today. Probably not going walking.

With that said.

People who do HIIT, get their heart rate up extrememly high and then....jump off. The reason that "bugs" me is it effects me. I usually am the firts person on scene to perform 1st aid to the person after they pass out.

People don't understand that even though you're not moving anymore, your heart is still forcing blood to your head like you are, which can cause blackouts. Someone will attack me, saying they won't stop their routine. Please, just control the speed and come down to a walk. If you run outside you don't come to a jumpstop, do you? Either way, I'll still be there to help get you off the floor.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you are noticing what others are doing maybe you are not focused enough. Unless sweat is hitting me in the face, or music is excessively loud, or someone falls on the treadmill, I don't notice it or get bugged by anything. I am there for me, not to people watch.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bike thing not a treadmill one - and I know gyms can be boring - but doing a crossword whilst cycling (slowly I might add)???
    Actually I once saw someone eating crisps - admittedly a skinny teenager but still....
    Sue

I see 2 women doing this in my gym every single morning. They have been members for at least a year (I see them every morning I am there). I don't quite understand this either, especially in the case of these ladies, they appear to be the same (or close to the same) size as they have always been. I don't understand the reasoning behind paying for a gym membership if your body doesn't change upon multiple uses per week over a year's time of said membership.

There are several people at my gym who have been going there for at least 4 years (as long or longer than me) and haven't changed a bit in appearance. They go all the time, and appear to be putting in the effort. I think they are probably healthier for it, but they haven't dropped any weight.

The only explanation I can think of is that they are exercising and then eating a bunch of crap to make up for it - and therefore, are maintaining even though they are exercising. I know that this can happen, since I gained 5 pounds training for and completing my first full marathon. Training gave me an appetite and I wasn't tracking calories, so up went the weight! :laugh:

Or they are practicing Health at Any Size to maintain a current level of fitness they find comfortable and appropriate.

Not everyone who exercises is doing it for weight loss, and exercise without weight loss actually has a lot of benefits OVER unsustainable weight loss. Further, a lot of the benefits that doctors want for their patients (heart health, diabetes improvement, blood pressure etc) can be significant with a loss of only 10% of starting weight, which may not even be a visible change on someone who is overweight.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What bugs me on the treadmill?

Being given the stinkeye by gym bunnies who clearly assume that no one should come to the gym unless they are already super fit, look awesome in spandex bike shorts, and know how every machine works without asking.

Everyone was a beginner once, I assume. If you don't like the n00bs, find one of those gyms that don't let the n00bs in.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Honestly I go to the YMCA, and the only thing that ever bothers me is when my other mom friends come up and talk to me when I'm in the hard part of my 5k training. I tell them I can't talk and will talk later.

Nothing anyone does bothers me. Everyone has to do what works for them.
    Maybe I bother other people. I'm working my *kitten* off on the treadmill when I'm there, and I do intervals of walk run walk run, so maybe that bugs someone. Maybe my 270 lbs hitting the treadmill hard bothers someone. You guys make me think it does, and I never thought about it before.. But I'm guessing whoever it bothers has some weird self esteem issue they need to get over. I'm there to work, and so is everyone else. If little things other people are doing is bothering you, you aren't working hard enough.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When all the treadmills facing the wall are full so I have to use one facing a mirror. I don't need to see myself running. It's not a pretty sight!
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    I don't even notice what others are doing. As long as I'm not down wind of a mouth breathers with bad breath, I couldn't care less what they are doing in their personal space.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What bugs me on the treadmill?

Being given the stinkeye by gym bunnies who clearly assume that no one should come to the gym unless they are already super fit, look awesome in spandex bike shorts, and know how every machine works without asking.

Everyone was a beginner once, I assume. If you don't like the n00bs, find one of those gyms that don't let the n00bs in.

Clearly?
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do your treadmills have heart rate sensors on the handlebars? Most do. The people grabbing the handlebars might be trying to get a read on their heart rate.

^ thats why i do it. and it takes like 10 seconds to acurately read it. so i do it alot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!
    Since I work in a Wellness Center and there are a lot of older people, rehab people,etc. I don't see holding the bars as bad, UNLESS it some fit person with it inclined all the way to 15 and holding on for dear life.
    Drop the incline and let go. If you can't, it's too hard.

The other is people who "stomp" on the treadmill while they run.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. When the person next to me continuously glances over at my speed, distance, time, etc.
    2. When someone gets on the treadmill that's right next to me even though there are plenty of other treadmills to choose from.
    3. When someone runs funny. It distracts me. lol
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Gabbers!
    People, especially women - who are on their cell phones just gabbing away while barely walking a 3mph pace on a flat incline! get outta here with that!!!!!!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Those who stay on for hours and hours talking on phone or moving at slow pace accomplishing little to nothing