Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There is a guy at my gym who talks to himself "good one, you can do it" - i mean i get self motivating thoughts and proclaimations, but shouldnt they occur in your head!!! haha

OMG - hysterical! Why do people think they're all Richard Simmons when they're in the gym? LOL.
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    It bothers me when people are doing something that looks dangerous like walking backwards or walking on the very back part of the belt. Then I'm just worried they'll hurt themselves.

It also bothers me when people fart on the treadmill, but not much you can do about that.
  • Helenov
    Helenov Posts: 56
    Options
    I think that the treadmills should be hooked up to a generator and that should power the gym. I should get a discount off my membership for the power I generate. It's only fair.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don;t care what other people do on the treadmill generally, but there is one guy who gets on the treadmill and snorts and coughs like he is about to spit for the entire time he is on it and it just sounds disgusting. He does this very loudly and I have seen a number of people get off the treadmill next to him very quickly. Hell, if I have to get on one next to h im I'll forgo it. The sound just makes me feel sick.

Donna
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Running-on-treadmill---FitnessGifs4Utumblr.gif

LMAO Love this
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Running-on-treadmill---FitnessGifs4Utumblr.gif

LMAO Love this

LMAO
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    people who crank up the incline and hang on to the tops of the treadmill....um...the incline is meant to simulate hiking...would you really hang on to an imaginary treadmill while hiking?!

and the people on an eliptical or bike reading or crosswords...um...you're here to get a workout for your body...not your mind....

Yes, if there was something to hold on to while hiking....I would hold on to it......I use a cane to walk up hills or long distances....I would hate to use one on the treadmill. I workout as best I can...incline 15 speed 3.3. I'm on there an hour. I work hard at that....I sweat....I breathe heavy. I think I'm getting a good workout!! Some people just can't work out the same as others....so they hold on to something. It shouldn't matter to others if they do!!

edited to fix a typo!
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    Actually the incline is to get a good glute and hamstring workout plus I can burn over double the amount of calories then at 0% incline. Last time I checked I don't need to swing my arms to work my butt.
  • dgage8
    dgage8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You know what's sad more than the perceived judgment? Folks who b--- about other people griping on an online forum. Has anyone walked up to you and told you to stop holding on in real life? Did anyone add you on MFP making fun of your way of working out? Probably not so let people vent. You'd save yourselves the embarrassment by not admitting you hold on a treadmill or doing any of the other things people are complaining about... but be proud that most of your workouts will mean nothing. I actually don't care that much either way and I don't think other people here do either

"Percieved judgement"... because clearly, there is absolutely no reason to believe that people judge other runners. Please accept my apology for answering the question in the way that I felt it applied to me. I will certainly take your advice and be proud that most of my workouts will mean nothing.
    The truth is, it's normal to wonder how you compare with other people. When I ran my first marathon, you better believe I cared about not being the last person to cross the finish line. Someone else commented that "anyone who says they don't glance is lying." The fact that you pay enough attention to other people on the treadmill to be annoyed by them only validates my point. Yes, I'm sure that to those of you that are the elite athletes, the rest of us must be really aggravating. I'm sorry if I hit my heels too hard or I get off the treadmill too soon, or pause my treadmill to refill my water, or any other number of things that could interfere with the quality of enjoyment of your workout. The fact is, the thing that bugs me the most is that I feel like I'm out of place on a treadmill. I feel like other people are going to think I'm a fool for being on there. Like there's something I'm supposed to prove, and I can't. That's what bugs me the most. Thanks for taking the time to educate me on exactly which gripes are appropriate to vent on a forum. I hope we can still be friends.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    heavy runners and preteens (i work out at the Y and there regularly are preteens acting like morons on the treadmills - does my head in).
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    Wow some of you guys really suck, everyone has different fitness levels don't judge at least they are giving it a go and trying to change their lives.

Have not read through this entire thread but wanted to comment on this "holding on to the handles" thing. I have balance issues due to neuro issues. I was able to use MY treadmill years ago without holding on to the handles. Now I find I can't. So what? While I don't think many of the ppl on here "suck" I have to agree with the rest of this statement. Stop judging other ppl please. I AM trying to change my life. Glad we have our own treadmill and don't have to go to a gym. Yeah, it's old, but it still works well. I'd rather do videos, walk on our treadmill or walk outside then go to a gym. This is exactly why.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Do your treadmills have heart rate sensors on the handlebars? Most do. The people grabbing the handlebars might be trying to get a read on their heart rate.

Plus I have a bad knee. I need to hold on in case it decides to go out on me while I'm on there.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Run.

Oh wait, that's me. it bugs me when I have to run on a treadmill. Usually it means it's either in a hotel in an industrial area near some airport where there is no safe outdoor place to run. Or that I wimped out on cold windy weather and am now paying for it indoors.

Otherwise, I'm good with whatever people next to me do.

I do have to resist the temptation to coach the heavy landers, though. I want them to be successful long term - and that loud slapping sound won't work in the long run. (Pun intended).
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do your treadmills have heart rate sensors on the handlebars? Most do. The people grabbing the handlebars might be trying to get a read on their heart rate.

Plus I have a bad knee. I need to hold on in case it decides to go out on me while I'm on there.

This^^ I have nerve damage in my left knee from a motorcycle accident. My knee goes out sometimes at random. I have to hold on to the bars or risk serious injury if my knee decides to give. I also hike with a cane for balance. if people have a problem with it too bad.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    34538452.jpg

People are taking this way too seriously.
  • tjk0905
    tjk0905 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Introvert/Extrovert behaviors- truly an interesting perspective.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    34538452.jpg

People are taking this way too seriously.

I sometimes have that thought about threads on MFP...

...and then I remember that I'm not responsible for determining the level of seriousness each thread should have.
  • momslastdiet
    momslastdiet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

Really?? ....I sure hope you don't work out at my gym! I'm sure you are perfect in every way and can afford to talk about others...sad
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Please just get off the treadmill!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Actually the incline is to get a good glute and hamstring workout plus I can burn over double the amount of calories then at 0% incline. Last time I checked I don't need to swing my arms to work my butt.

Your First sentence is right on the spot!!! You should re read it over and over................................... because if your arms are "swinging" you are getting a better workout !as you are USING ALL YOUR WEIGHT IN AN INCLINE INSTEAD OF HOLDING ON TO THE BARS AND TAKING WEIGHT OFF!!