Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

What bugs ME is people nosying into my workout and judging me for doing what I'm doing... Does it affect your weight loss or performance if I'M holding on to MY handlebars? Why on earth should it bug you?:huh: I may be checking my heart rate, I may be new and worried about flying off the end (that WAS me when I first started actually :laugh: ), I may have a balance issue... who cares unless it is actually interfering with your ability to do your workout? Concentrate on YOUR workout and you won't notice the poor probably already-self-consious handlebar-grabbers.

YUP
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    handstands
    patty-cake
    dropping it like it's hot
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    People who make threads like these are the reason I work out at home.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    run on them in the first place....... :tongue:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bug me, but I don't get all the reading.

I mean.....how. How can you read and run at the same time.

Doesn't bug me, but I laugh everytime:

The people who bring in their phones and music players, set them on the treadmill, start running, and knock them off like 5 times, wonder why, and evetually give up on listening.

Amazon.com, you can get an arm-band for any phone or ipod for less than $20..with shipping.

I can't run and read at the same time. I have on occasion taken my kindle for the ellipticals. This would be on a day where I should probably be taking a full on rest day but instead put in an EASY 30 minutes on the ellipticals (6-7 mph instead of 9-10+).

The ellipticals at my gym have drink holders and guess what, that's where my phone goes. Running, I just tighten my draw string on my pants/shorts so the phone doesn't pants me and leave it in my pocket. Eventually I'll find a quality bluetooth headset and I can leave it on the treadmill with danger of my pulling it off with my head.
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One guy got on the treadmill next to me the other day and literally started throwing punches as if he was Rocky jogging down the streets of Philadelphia!

Needless to say it was short lived, he got off after only a few minutes :noway:

OMG....this just made me lol! I have a guy at my gym who does the same thing and he claps as well...it's so ANNOYING! LIke hi...there are other people at the gym with you. :noway: :grumble: :sad:
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.
    Couldn't have said it better myself
  • balancedfire
    balancedfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

I have to agree completely!
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Perfect reply. I'm quite comfortable with my routine, don't care what anyone else does in theirs as long as they don't invade my personal space (singing might be too much but doubt I'd even notice with my earphones cranked up).
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Holy cow people are judgemental!!! Before crap like this is posted, think about how you are making people who have self esteem issues feel. If someone was debating joining a gym, this thread may have just made their decision for them.
  • cahann1154
    Options
    Don't judge - it is good that someone is at least on the treadmill. But I do not like it when folks are on their phones when the gym has posted that it is a cell phone free gym. Turn off for just awhile- concentrate on your self improvement goals.
  • suzanneh197
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

What bugs ME is people nosying into my workout and judging me for doing what I'm doing... Does it affect your weight loss or performance if I'M holding on to MY handlebars? Why on earth should it bug you?:huh: I may be checking my heart rate, I may be new and worried about flying off the end (that WAS me when I first started actually :laugh: ), I may have a balance issue... who cares unless it is actually interfering with your ability to do your workout? Concentrate on YOUR workout and you won't notice the poor probably already-self-consious handlebar-grabbers.
  • suzanneh197
    Options
    Ditto!
  • balancedfire
    Options
    Doesn't bug me, but I don't get all the reading.

I mean.....how. How can you read and run at the same time.

Doesn't bug me, but I laugh everytime:

The people who bring in their phones and music players, set them on the treadmill, start running, and knock them off like 5 times, wonder why, and evetually give up on listening.

Amazon.com, you can get an arm-band for any phone or ipod for less than $20..with shipping.

I can't run and read at the same time. I have on occasion taken my kindle for the ellipticals. This would be on a day where I should probably be taking a full on rest day but instead put in an EASY 30 minutes on the ellipticals (6-7 mph instead of 9-10+).

The ellipticals at my gym have drink holders and guess what, that's where my phone goes. Running, I just tighten my draw string on my pants/shorts so the phone doesn't pants me and leave it in my pocket. Eventually I'll find a quality bluetooth headset and I can leave it on the treadmill with danger of my pulling it off with my head.

I love reading on the elliptical (it has to have a "lip" or some place for me to put my ipod touch). It really helps the time pass. I actually used to work out and work on memorizing certain things for school at the same time. It is much easier to read on an e-reader or similar device instead of a real book because balancing the book and keeping the pages open can be a beast. I still have to figure out how not to accidentally pull the earphones out of my ears while trying to listen to music.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is there is this one guy..I don't what is wrong with his shoes..but one of them make this loud freaking clank sound every step!!! every single step..I hear it through my music and I can't help but keep looking at him..How on earth he is making that noise I don't know!! (I do think its weird when people hang on to the top of the treadmill and lean back when on incline 52 or something..doesn't "bug" me..I just think its funny..)
  • balancedfire
    Options
    What bugs me most is when they get OFF and don't wipe the machine down. I am at Planet Fitness and they have signs posted every few feet. But yet some think their sweat is worth sharing ! ECK ....

I just assume that most people don't do it. It is a good habit to clean your own machine before you use it. I mean really, have you ever thought about how many people still don't wash their hands after using the toilet? Yuck!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Seriously.
    Why do you care so much?
    Why have you made post after post YELLING your point across?
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

THIS!!! What is the point of doing that?!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I rarely if ever pay attention to what other people are doing unless they are doing something very very wrong and could injure themselves.

And for the record, I will crank up the incline and hold on because if I don't I'm going to actually fall off. Walking on a steep incline is great. So what if I'm holding on while I do it? How is it effecting your workout and your results with what you're doing?