Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

This one.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The only thing anyone can do on a tradmill that will bug me is if the previous user doesn't clean it off. The only time I've had issues while using a treadmill is when I'm using my home machine and my dog decides it's time to play, because she will toss her ball onto the belt.

The "beauty" of the treadmill is that, aside from a clutz accidentally unplugging the thing, nobody is REALLY going to affect my workout unless I let them. Want to sing? Go ahead- but do realize I take that as permission to join in without you giving me stink-eye. Same goes for your conversations. If you're talking so loud I can hear you, I'm assuming that's an invitation for me to chime in. Want to use the machine right next to me even though all the others are empty? Come on over. Just don't flail about and hit me. Want to compete with me? Fine. I really don't care what motivates you. I'm here for my own reasons. If it makes you feel like a bigger man to be running faster than this recovering cancer survivor, I don't care.

Then again, I'm in the military. We're running, competing, sweating, and getting nasty in close proximity to each other all the time. You think someone using the treadmill next to you is a problem for your workout? Try running in a 45 person flight made up of three 15-person columns where the people to your front, left, right, and rear are in arm's reach.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I am on the TM to cool down (slow jog/power walk) and I either have someone ask me to get off since I am not using it properly or having someone try to "push" me into running faster....

I'm sorry..who made you my personal trainer? did you not see me 1.5hours ago working my *kitten* off?
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

This.

Don't see the point in going on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes - just go outside in the sunshine!

Um, it's March. We just got a foot of snow and there are 25+ MPH winds today. Probably not going walking.

With that said.

People who do HIIT, get their heart rate up extrememly high and then....jump off. The reason that "bugs" me is it effects me. I usually am the firts person on scene to perform 1st aid to the person after they pass out.

People don't understand that even though you're not moving anymore, your heart is still forcing blood to your head like you are, which can cause blackouts. Someone will attack me, saying they won't stop their routine. Please, just control the speed and come down to a walk. If you run outside you don't come to a jumpstop, do you? Either way, I'll still be there to help get you off the floor.

So on the heart rate part, how low should it be before stopping? During my workout, I stay around 4mph, with bursts up to 6mph (elliptical, not treadmill), but my HR is 170+. I spend the last five minutes walking around 2mph, drop the arm thing, but even by the end of those five, my HR is still usually around 150. My resting HR is <65.

I don't know. People are different. I stepped off the treadmill once in the 160's and felt lightheaded. I wouldn't worry about 150, it's jumping off at your elevated rate (170+)

Thanks.
  • sslichenmyer
    sslichenmyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    falling!!! haha i was running on a treadmil and i closed my eyes i was thrown into the wall.... ive seen like 3 people fall
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Focus on your own workout and stop pretending you are in High School again.
  • tjk0905
    tjk0905 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

Seriously why do they do this?
  • Nitabug36
    Nitabug36 Posts: 65
    Options
    Walking backwards on the treadmill.....
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!!:devil:

also...get off the fukkeeenn CELLPHONE!!!!!!! Youre supposed to be WORKING OUT! that means breathing rapidly and unable to have a conversation!!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    fart. and then act like nothing happened.....
  • pjwcampbell
    pjwcampbell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people are doing while on the treadmill? Worry about your own workout and not about what others are doing.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home, and i hate it when my wife hangs clothes on it...
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yelling when they finish a sprint. Oh wait, my treadmill is in my basement and I'm the only one who uses it. :ohwell:
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I walk slow on the treadmill because I have a physical condition that makes it so.
    I hold onto the handlebars because I have ab balance problem.

I pay my Gym membership just like the people whining and judging my workout. Get over it and get on with your own workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

This.

Don't see the point in going on the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes - just go outside in the sunshine!

Um, it's March. We just got a foot of snow and there are 25+ MPH winds today. Probably not going walking.

With that said.

People who do HIIT, get their heart rate up extrememly high and then....jump off. The reason that "bugs" me is it effects me. I usually am the firts person on scene to perform 1st aid to the person after they pass out.

People don't understand that even though you're not moving anymore, your heart is still forcing blood to your head like you are, which can cause blackouts. Someone will attack me, saying they won't stop their routine. Please, just control the speed and come down to a walk. If you run outside you don't come to a jumpstop, do you? Either way, I'll still be there to help get you off the floor.

So on the heart rate part, how low should it be before stopping? During my workout, I stay around 4mph, with bursts up to 6mph (elliptical, not treadmill), but my HR is 170+. I spend the last five minutes walking around 2mph, drop the arm thing, but even by the end of those five, my HR is still usually around 150. My resting HR is <65.

I don't know. People are different. I stepped off the treadmill once in the 160's and felt lightheaded. I wouldn't worry about 150, it's jumping off at your elevated rate (170+)

Thanks.

NP
  • RGv2
    Options

The people who bring in their phones and music players, set them on the treadmill, start running, and knock them off like 5 times, wonder why, and evetually give up on listening.

Amazon.com, you can get an arm-band for any phone or ipod for less than $20..with shipping.

I have an armband but dont use it because its too hard to skip songs with it strapped to my bicep.

? :noway:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love these threads.

What I hate is when the other members at my gym get on the treadmill and crank up the speed to an unsafe level...and then they hang onto the handlebars and lift themselves up so their feet are just barely touching. Or they'll jump onto the siderail...and then they'll watch the mileage add up and yell how many miles they're running. I argue with them that the machine counts that time where they're just standing there watching it. Sometimes they skip. And if I catch them not wearing the safety shut-off cord, I'll yell at them and make them stop using the treadmill. It's important that people know and adhere to these rules.

(My gym is in my basement and the other members are my children.)

ETA: As for observing other non-family member adults in public, just pay attention to your own business. Oh, sure, someone may do something noteworthy enough to warrant a post...but I suspect most of the things posted in this thread are remarkably trivial (although admittedly, I haven't made it through all ten pages yet).
  • RGv2
    Options
    Why do you care what other people are doing while on the treadmill? Worry about your own workout and not about what others are doing.

They're called...observations.

Plus I noted one that affects me as it can cause injury and I have needed to administer 1st aid for it before.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

^^ this and any post like this. Who gives a flyin rats *kitten* what I'm doing on the machine? Do you and stop being so daggone judgemental. Jeesh
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

They're called...observations.

Plus I noted one that affects me as it can cause injury and I have needed to administer 1st aid for it before.

Well, as long as you're there to help and observe and not to judge, that's what's important.