Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• amandajones1978
    Options
    People judging others in the gym, THATS my peeve.

Is it any wonder people fear working out at fitness centers these days? With comments like these, and quite frankly, some of the pet peeves are freaking ridiculous! Holding the handlebars? Air drumming? Changing a TV channel? Telling a friend about their workout? Someone looking at your speed, incline, etc? Walking backwards?

How about this... Get over yourself! If you are noticing what other people are doing on equipment around you, then YOU obviously are not working out hard enough!

Everyone is fighting their own battles, be it rehabilitation, balance, or they FINALLY decided to join a gym to get into shape. Mind your own damn business!
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Is it any wonder people fear working out at fitness centers these days? With comments like these, and quite frankly, some of the pet peeves are freaking ridiculous! Holding the handlebars? Air drumming? Changing a TV channel? Telling a friend about their workout? Someone looking at your speed, incline, etc? Walking backwards?

How about this... Get over yourself! If you are noticing what other people are doing on equipment around you, then YOU obviously are not working out hard enough!

Everyone is fighting their own battles, be it rehabilitation, balance, or they FINALLY decided to join a gym to get into shape. Mind your own damn business!

Just what I was thinking,.... Threads like these are mostly a wind up though aren't they?
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. People may do some things that are odd, but I don't really care, doesn't bother me. One day the lady next to me was doing intervals, jumping on and off, which I have not figured out how to do.. LOL, so I kinda watched her out of the corner of my eye, only cuz I thought I need to learn how to do that and my intervals would be more effective. Maybe. lol, I'd probably kill myself though.

She shouldn't be jumping off the machine. An interval is a period of intense work with a period of light workout. She should be reducing from a run to a walk. Not jumping off completely and bringing her workout to a complete standstill.

Some machines have quick speed settings so you can set two speeds and only have to hit a button to change your interval instead of holding down speed up or down to help with intervals and some have speed interval programs.

This is the correct answer. Control the speed. If you are ending a period of intense work with an elevated HR, and just STOP, your HR won't automatically lower. This can give the same effect as hanging upside down, and you can black out. Have seen it, and almost did it....once.

Yep... pretty pointless unless you are whacking off.

What's wrong with a release while doing cardio??
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I LOL'd at this. I do 1/2 the stuff people complain about. I run extremely loud, sweat, and blast my music. I don't care if it's a pet peeve, annoying, whatever to anyone. Nobody should. It's not judgement to point out a pet peeve. wow...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The muscle head sitting on the bike and cycling like he is sitting in front of the TV. Hands locked behind his head and pedaling at 3mph.
    Or how bout the skinny chick walking on the treadmill at 15% incline and holding the top rail in front of them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using an incline?

Yes, I know it was probably a warm up or cool down, but for some reason, that day, it really bothered me.

Judgemental much??? Everyone thinkgs they are going to go to a gym and get stared down by "muscle heads" or "skinny girls" but really it's the bitter, out of shape, unconfident but heads who feel the need to minimize everyone elses efforts. Who cares who does what and how they do it!? Everyone is there for the same reason to get or to stay healthy. No judgement or critisizm needed.

Agreed! Im always hearing newbies complain about people being rude or insulting at the gym but as someone who been consistently going to gyms for 13 years I have never encountered any such thing from regular gym go-ers.

Also...and I'm not a "muscle head" (whatever that is)...but I do lift and my sessions are rather intense...a nice slow cycle or 2.5-3 MPH walk is usually my "recovery" cardio...all I'm trying to do is move and cool down from my lift.

This is why people should really just mind their own fitness goals. If you saw some "muscle head" or me just slowly walking a treadmill or leisurely cycle, you're probably only seeing about 2% of the actual workout...yet you judge as if that's all we're doing. We've all paid our membership dues...just because you don't comprehend others people's fitness goals doesn't mean they're "doing it wrong."

Honestly, I don't know if I've ever annoyed someone with my slow, post lift cycling or treadmill walking...I just don't pay that much attention. I just know that I have my routine and my routine is not over just because someone doesn't like my slow treadmill walking.
  • tayagrp
    tayagrp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Talking to me when I am running on the TM and I clearly can't even breath let alone talk!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The muscle head sitting on the bike and cycling like he is sitting in front of the TV. Hands locked behind his head and pedaling at 3mph.
    Or how bout the skinny chick walking on the treadmill at 15% incline and holding the top rail in front of them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using an incline?

Yes, I know it was probably a warm up or cool down, but for some reason, that day, it really bothered me.

Judgemental much??? Everyone thinkgs they are going to go to a gym and get stared down by "muscle heads" or "skinny girls" but really it's the bitter, out of shape, unconfident but heads who feel the need to minimize everyone elses efforts. Who cares who does what and how they do it!? Everyone is there for the same reason to get or to stay healthy. No judgement or critisizm needed.

Agreed! Im always hearing newbies complain about people being rude or insulting at the gym but as someone who been consistently going to gyms for 13 years I have never encountered any such thing from regular gym go-ers.

Also...and I'm not a "muscle head" (whatever that is)...but I do lift and my sessions are rather intense...a nice slow cycle or 2.5-3 MPH walk is usually my "recovery" cardio...all I'm trying to do is move and cool down from my lift.

This is why people should really just mind their own fitness goals. If you saw some "muscle head" or me just slowly walking a treadmill or leisurely cycle, you're probably only seeing about 2% of the actual workout...yet you judge as if that's all we're doing. We've all paid our membership dues...just because you don't comprehend others people's fitness goals doesn't mean they're "doing it wrong."

Honestly, I don't know if I've ever annoyed someone with my slow, post lift cycling or treadmill walking...I just don't pay that much attention. I just know that I have my routine and my routine is not over just because someone doesn't like my slow treadmill walking.

I make jokes but in all honesty, you don't really know where someone is in their training. I lost the majority of my weight working out at home but there is something motivating about working out in a room with others. It's just human nature to be curious about what another is doing but again just keep in mind that you're doing this for yourself and they don't know you're history or if you're injured or whatever.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    i hate feeling like the person next to me is competing with me.

i'm insanely competitive, and get really discouraged if i feel like i'm not 'winning'. not being particularly fit, i rarely 'win', so ive gone to a deliberate effort to not go to the gym with people i know, because i'll just compare myself to them and end up feeling bad.

so when the stranger next to me is looking at my speed and incline and then bumping theirs up higher, it just makes me want to give up and go home!

^I'm that person... but I'm not competing I swear! I'm using you as motivation to make my *kitten* work harder.

second this^^^^^
    It helps me get motivated.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

Seriously.
    Why do you care so much?
    Why have you made post after post YELLING your point across?

Read the title of this thread......oh and CUBS SUCK!!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options

I LOL'd at this. I do 1/2 the stuff people complain about. I run extremely loud, sweat, and blast my music. I don't care if it's a pet peeve, annoying, whatever to anyone. Nobody should. It's not judgement to point out a pet peeve. wow...

Well said broski!
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sommee.png

Haha exactly!!
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at my gym for 2 years and I've just worked up the nerve to go on the treadmill because I know there are judgmental, arrogant people like you out there.
    At least I'm moving and not sitting around anymore like I used to after I injured my hip in 2010.

Don't pass judgement on people you know nothing about :smile:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i do wear my makeup because washing your face too many times a day is not good once you get to be 30+. I dont wear a lot of makeup though
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love these threads.

What I hate is when the other members at my gym get on the treadmill and crank up the speed to an unsafe level...and then they hang onto the handlebars and lift themselves up so their feet are just barely touching.

Ok, I know you said your kids do this...but there are 2 people at my gym who do this and it doesn't bother me, but I don't understand why...
  • TheWinman
    Options

You get a special reply since you mentioned air drumming and I'm the guy who mentioned the air drummer. Maybe you should pay more attention when reading these posts. I specifically said that I had NO problem with the air drummer, I just thought it was funny.

Yes, even though I could care less what others are doing when working out as it's none of my business, I do notice many times what people are doing. Please don't tell me that I'm "obviously" not working out hard enough. As any of my friends on here can vouch for I burn between 5000-7000 calories every week doing cardio, no exceptions.

In the end we agree that everyone should mind their own business, but you seem to make assumptions and misread things. Just saying.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Please for the love of god.......... STOP HOLDING ON TO THE MACHINE! whats the effen point of putting the treadmill on a steep incline if youre gonna HOLD ON!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????
    get off the treadmill!!! :devil:

And please pretty please STOP TALKIN ON YOU CELLPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR REALZ!
  • TheWinman
    Options

You sweat? How dare you!!!!!!!! :)
  • RGv2
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how stating a pet peeve is "judgemental", and why so many people are getting butt-hurt over it?
  • RGv2
    Options

Why yes, changing a TV channel would be annoying...in the context the poster used. Person changes the channel on the TV that they are about to watch and changes the channel on multiple tv's because they're standing 10 ft away and hit 2-3 receivers. Most likely TV changed to something other person doesn't care for, now will interupt workout to change their tv back.

Make sense?
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how stating a pet peeve is "judgemental", and why so many people are getting butt-hurt over it?

because, of course we cant have our own personal opinions ;)