Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how stating a pet peeve is "judgemental", and why so many people are getting butt-hurt over it?

because, of course we cant have our own personal opinions ;)

A sensible reply? What is this?
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how stating a pet peeve is "judgemental", and why so many people are getting butt-hurt over it?

because, of course we cant have our own personal opinions ;)

A sensible reply? What is this?

what? lol
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A couple things. I really dislike my gym but it's cheap, close to my house, and they have childcare (which is difficult to find). I go to a local all women's gym.

1 - Fart. Seriously. I don't treadmill, but I use an elliptical and some girl got on the one next to me once and smelled so freaking bad. She kept doing it to, I don't know, maybe she couldn't smell herself but I had to stop my workout early because it was just so bad.

2 - Stare at the readout on my machine. I don't look at your machine, or you, so I expect to receive the same courtesy.

3 - Not on the treadmill, but my gym doesn't provide wipes to wipe down the equipment. This is NASTY. I let it go at first and just sanitized my hands really well after my workouts, but I got a serious eye infection from touching my lower eyelid during a workout after holding the bars with sweaty hands (after people had been doing the same all morning). Now I bring lysol wipes and wipe everything down before I use it. I wish everyone would do that. But - what's annoying is when someone sees me use the lysol wipes and decides the machines I am using are the cleanest so they follow me through my workout, getting on every machine I was on after I get off. It's really annoying to feel like someone is stalking you in the gym. Just buy a package of $1 travel size lysol wipes.

4 - also not on the treadmill but it makes me REALLY mad. People who sit on the weight machines and don't do anything, sometimes they're just sitting next to a friend and talking while the friend works out, sometimes they're just sitting there for no reason, and a couple times I've even seen people sit there and talk to people on the phone like they're on their own sofa. Meanwhile, anyone wanting to use that machine has to wait until the person gets up and wanders off. I'm not talking about a minute break between sets, I'm talking about just plopping their butt down and doing nothing.

-- and I wear makeup to the gym. People probably think that's weird, but I am self conscious about my skin so I always wear foundation, and I am extremely self conscious about my eyes (haha, I just noticed my profile picture happens to be one with 3D glasses, completely hiding my eyes). Anyhow, I have large blue eyes and blonde eyelashes and I feel like if I don't wear mascara I look all washed out. This probably stems from the fact that when I first got contact lenses I was 15 and I came home and the first thing my Dad said to me was, "You need some eye makeup". I keep it natural looking, but I'm sure people know I have makeup on. Sorry, I shower before I go to the gym, I blow dry my hair, I put my makeup on. Then, after the gym I run errands, come home, rinse off in the shower if I'm exceptionally sweaty (I'm not a heavy sweater) and change into my regular clothes. I can only go to the gym between 10 and 11am because that's my childcare window, and I'm not going to sit around from 7am to 10am without showering.

I don't care what people wear to the gym, or how they look. Some women clearly just crawled out of bed, some come on their lunch breaks, who cares? There is a large muslim population in my gym so many of the women wear full muslim robes and scarves. Sometimes I feel bad for them because wearing a thick black robe and scarves can't be comfy when you're doing zumba, but it doesn't involve me so I don't care. The one american woman who wears sunglasses and a garbage bag is a little weird though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Actually the worst is cologne or perfume that is caked on the person next to you. Breathing actually counts in cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Unless what you are doing is interfering with my workout, I basically cannot be arsed to even pay attention to what someone does on the treadmill. I haven't been annoyed by anyone on it yet, guess there will be a first time eventually.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

You're 34. Quit using the term "butt-hurt"
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A lady next to me once was eating M&Ms and drinking Iced coffee while walking pretty slowly on her treadmill. Just made me shake my head.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Some of us older and/or fatter folks hold onto the treadmill for stability.

One thing I've noticed as I got really heavy is that I am REALLY afraid of falling. Also, because I'm morbidly obese, I'm putting a lot of stress on my skinny ankles. I've actually twisted my ankle just walking on a slightly bumpy surface (ie: gravel, lumpy grass area, etc.)

Edited to add ... that I only walk on my home treadmill.
    At my age and weight, with my weak muscles, I'm totally afraid of going to a gym where someone will single me out as a person who is not able or not willing to do what they do.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    A lady next to me once was eating M&Ms and drinking Iced coffee while walking pretty slowly on her treadmill. Just made me shake my head.

BWAHAHAHAHA THATS SOME LEGENDARY **** RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

Ha....saw you next to me on the treadmill yesterday when I did this! Know what? this works for me...if you don't have to hang on, bully for you, but don't judge my weakness! I am here to gain strength and you aren't helping by being critical of me! :huh:
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

i-agree-thumb.jpg
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I DO look at other people's screen because I am interested to see at what speed people run at. I am only able to run for about 30 seconds at a time right now, on 4.1 I am fascinated by people who can run faster and I just like to see at what point they start running, maybe so I have an idea of what to work up to. I don't STARE, but maybe a quick glance because it is helpful to me.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    Sometimes I DO look at other people's screen because I am interested to see at what speed people run at. I am only able to run for about 30 seconds at a time right now, on 4.1 I am fascinated by people who can run faster and I just like to see at what point they start running, maybe so I have an idea of what to work up to. I don't STARE, but maybe a quick glance because it is helpful to me.

I'm a glancer too! i dont do it on purpose, some people just amaze me, by how long they can run at a higher speed. and maintain it!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When there are five empty treadmills in a row and someone decides to use the one right next to me.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    When there are five empty treadmills in a row and someone decides to use the one right next to me.

ugh that happened to me the other day! like seriously, theres atleast 7 open treadmills.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options

HAHA That is not real life!?!?!?!? I would have died laughing.
  • Greciankoukla
    Greciankoukla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When someone comes and gets on the treadmill right next to me and there are like 20 other open treadmills.

This is the one thing that bothers me. I don't care how slow or how hard people are going on their treadmill, or if they are holding onto the bars, why would I? I don't let useless things distract me. But if there are a bunch available , please don't take the one right next to me.
  • Greciankoukla
    Options
    sommee.png

Haha exactly!!
    Well I have gone to te gym after work and ad makeup on.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    I did not join a gym because I have four kids and didn't want to pay the childcare... But after this thread I am so glad I made my husband buy me a treadmill and weights... I never realized that people were really this judgemental at the gym!!! I hang on to my handlebars all the time.. if it helps me do 60 min of cardio rather than 30 hell yea Im gonna hold on!?
    I sweat, I listen to loud music, I love checking out what other people are doing when I went to the gym. I will help keep you in check PLEASE stare at me I will run faster and harder and give you a show you aint never seen ;)

I am happy with my yoga sessions in my livingroom and my nights spent in front of MY shows on MY treadmill with MY own germs on it.

Wow people. You honestly are defeating out the whole reason for MFP this is supposed to be support and movitavion and help on a fitness journey FOR ALL.

Petty Petty peeps on here.
    I will continue on my path of being a hermit
    Thank you for not making me feel like I was missing out on locker rooms, lunk alarms, and zumba
  • Greciankoukla
    Options
    One time I was on a treadmill and some lady was in front of me. Without any warning she popped a squat and took a dump right there on the treadmill.

I think she was still going about 2km/ hour at the time.

I was angry, disgusted, and somewhat impressed.

LMAO!! This is a joke!!!! No way!!!!! Hahaha

OMG :noway: