Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

I'm one that puts the incline up to 15 and hangs on.....I can't run because I shattered my knee cap and I have to hold on because I'll fall off the back if I don't. There are reasons why people put the incline up instead of walking faster or running. It's the next best thing!

Yesterday the person on the treadmill next to me got 3 phone calls.....pause your machine and take the call somewhere else. She was yelling at cell phone level (I couldn't even hear my earbuds). I was getting pissed because she was telling the person that she's going to call him every day at the time she's at the gym so he can support her while she walks. I hope she's not there at the same time as me!!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people sing along outloud with the music on their ipod...

Or if they simply sound like a herd of elephants on that treadmill like the guy yesterday. He wasn't heavy, he just ran heavily, lol.

This. I've been forced onto the treadmill far more than I'd like this winter, and it happens far too often.
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ooo, i have a friend, who wants to lose all this weight, so i kindly take her with me to the gym. Well! She just casually walks, texts and talks the WHOLE time!! So here i am, can barely breathe, sweating my butt off, and shes telling me her whole life! Its aggravating, because all she does is whine about her weight, but yet she dont even try. Its so aggravating!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most people determine whether they will ask how long a person will get off a machine on the time elapsed as indicated on the machine (lots of people go around this by turning off the machine and starting all over again, but I digress...). Not on the intensity of the workout.

I don't buy all these people asking a "slow" person to get off the treadmill if the time on the machine indicates that only 3 minutes have elapsed.
  • Goldie_13
    Goldie_13 Posts: 71
    Options
    good lord some of the complaints ive read in this thread are ridiculous

This is why I do cardio in a hoodie w/headphones - block out the world

Same!
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hate it when all the treadmills are taken up and you see people literally doing the whole workout walking slower than if they were out side having a stroll on the beach! Drives me insane!

This is the only thing that bugs me. We have an indoor walking track but few treadmills. If I'm going to walk, I go to the walking track instead of taking up a treadmill, then use the treadmill if I'm going to run, which I can't do on the walking track.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It riddles me with guilt and makes me feel a little bit uncomforatble when I am jogging on my treadmill in the comfort of my basement and my dog stands beside the treadmill for any length of time, panting.

Seriously - I don't need her sympathy, I am well aware at how hard I am jogging, and how heavy I am breathing.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    When they crank up the incline and hang on for dear life.

I'm one that puts the incline up to 15 and hangs on.....I can't run because I shattered my knee cap and I have to hold on because I'll fall off the back if I don't. There are reasons why people put the incline up instead of walking faster or running. It's the next best thing!

Yesterday the person on the treadmill next to me got 3 phone calls.....pause your machine and take the call somewhere else. She was yelling at cell phone level (I couldn't even hear my earbuds). I was getting pissed because she was telling the person that she's going to call him every day at the time she's at the gym so he can support her while she walks. I hope she's not there at the same time as me!!

THEN DONT INCLINE IT SOOO MUCH!!! that way you DONT have to hold on for dear life! AND get a better workout!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I walk *slow* compared to a lot of people. Honestly, I don't pay attention to what other people are doing or not doing. I put my headphones on, press *start* and go. I am there for me.
  • fireproof30
    fireproof30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...there's a guy at my gym every Saturday who does that. He puts the incline at max and walks for like 20 minutes, hanging on the bars the whole time.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone would quit saying 'run outside'. I loathe running outside. I'm one of those people that enjoys the treadmill!
  • roxy08fox
    roxy08fox Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Couple of things that bug me:

1) When I'm sandwiched between 2 friends and they are having a conversation around me - sersiously????
    2) When people look at my speed and try to match it but can only do so by hanging onto the bars and gliding their legs under the belt. Um, that's not running and this is not a competition....mmkay? (other than this, hanging on to the bars doesn't bug me, especially if walking at an incline)
    3) Picking the treadmill right next to me when there are a whole bunch of free ones to choose from
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Talk on the phone, even worse when I can hear it over my music (I listen to my music pretty loud)
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I once had a guy pull my emergency stop cord while I was running because I wasn't acknowledging his advances. I was so muffed that I actually reported him and I haven't seen him since. Other than that d-bag, I try to leave other people alone and keep the judging to a minimum. Slow walkers and serious sweaters-- just do your thing and I'll do mine.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It riddles me with guilt and makes me feel a little bit uncomforatble when I am jogging on my treadmill in the comfort of my basement and my dog stands beside the treadmill for any length of time, panting.

Seriously - I don't need her sympathy, I am well aware at how hard I am jogging, and how heavy I am breathing.

LMFAOOO! This made me laugh.
  • fireproof30
    fireproof30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I get on the treadmill, Im usually in my own zone . However dislike when peaple are on treadmill and are on there cell phone

Or don't know how to spell or use they're/their/there properly. Really? "Peaple"? "PEAPLE".
  • JennyRose2U
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

I am one of those. There is a sensor on the handle bars that tells me my heart rate and an estimation of calories burn... I am loosing weight and working out to help with my cholesterol and most importantly to get healthier in my lifestyle. I need to keep track of my heart rate. Don't take it so personally. People do that for a reason... believe me, I think I look silly doing it but that's where the sensors are. Now, people talking very loudly to their neighbor (less than a foot away from them) on the treadmill is very annoying.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have read most of the replies here and the one that I havent read that bothers me is when --in the process of trying to tune their TV onto something they want to watch, they have actually changed the channel on my TV.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When they bring their pet hamsters in with them and set them down on the treadmill....
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^