Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I rarely if ever pay attention to what other people are doing unless they are doing something very very wrong and could injure themselves.

Be careful, I just said that and it was not received well.
  • k_town78
    k_town78 Posts: 21
    Options
    There is a lady at my gym that likes to bring soda with her to the TM. This time of year though the gym is full of people who are doing it ALL wrong. (Resolutioners)
    Atleast they are doing it. What's made you the workout police?

^ this

I am glad to see people in the gym, and I am certainly not the authority on how to workout...I was just posting with the theme. It does get annoying when you go to the gym pretty consistently and have to endure the busy season (Jan-Mar).
  • k_town78
    k_town78 Posts: 21
    Options
    good lord some of the complaints ive read in this thread are ridiculous

This is why I do cardio in a hoodie w/headphones - block out the world
    You and me both.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Nothing really. People may do some things that are odd, but I don't really care, doesn't bother me. One day the lady next to me was doing intervals, jumping on and off, which I have not figured out how to do.. LOL, so I kinda watched her out of the corner of my eye, only cuz I thought I need to learn how to do that and my intervals would be more effective. Maybe. lol, I'd probably kill myself though.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Nothing really. People may do some things that are odd, but I don't really care, doesn't bother me. One day the lady next to me was doing intervals, jumping on and off, which I have not figured out how to do.. LOL, so I kinda watched her out of the corner of my eye, only cuz I thought I need to learn how to do that and my intervals would be more effective. Maybe. lol, I'd probably kill myself though.

FYI, it's not the healthiest thing to do and can cause blackouts.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

She shouldn't be jumping off the machine. An interval is a period of intense work with a period of light workout. She should be reducing from a run to a walk. Not jumping off completely and bringing her workout to a complete standstill.

Some machines have quick speed settings so you can set two speeds and only have to hit a button to change your interval instead of holding down speed up or down to help with intervals and some have speed interval programs.
  • JennyJo23
    JennyJo23 Posts: 33
    Options
    oh yes this drives me crazy too. The gym I go to isn't really big and the treadmills are few...
  • RGv2
    Options

She shouldn't be jumping off the machine. An interval is a period of intense work with a period of light workout. She should be reducing from a run to a walk. Not jumping off completely and bringing her workout to a complete standstill.

Some machines have quick speed settings so you can set two speeds and only have to hit a button to change your interval instead of holding down speed up or down to help with intervals and some have speed interval programs.

This is the correct answer. Control the speed. If you are ending a period of intense work with an elevated HR, and just STOP, your HR won't automatically lower. This can give the same effect as hanging upside down, and you can black out. Have seen it, and almost did it....once.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    sommee.png
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options

This is the correct answer. Control the speed. If you are ending a period of intense work with an elevated HR, and just STOP, your HR won't automatically lower. This can give the same effect as hanging upside down, and you can black out. Have seen it, and almost did it....once.

Yep... pretty pointless unless you are whacking off.
  • vergel22
    vergel22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad I do not need to go to a gym for my workout as I have a balance problem so always have one or both hands on the bar also check my BP from time to time.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    really hate it when these guys come to the gym. I mean they're not even wearing workout gear!

tumblr_lnorfieIrJ1qkf7mvo1_400_zps0c1797bb.gif
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

I actually sat and thought about this one for a while - when you have a high intensity interval, your body demands a higher cardiac output - accordingly your stroke volume and your HR will increase to compensate. If you take your body to lets say 90% of your maximal cardiac output (which i doubt anybody actually does) - then jump of a treadmill its not your oxygen demands drop instantly and your body automatically kill's your heart rate.

what makes more sense is that people will jump off the treadmill and put their hands on their knees which will cause a change in venous return, or maybe they get in a squatting position which will also change venous return - which could then cause a much bigger change in HR and lead to a vasovagal crash or something.

not really trying to correct anybody - just kinda had to type that out to think it through

TLDR: More likely getting lightheaded/blacking out from positional changes - but regardless doesn't seem like the smartest idea
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I hate threads like this, but had to comment. Please ignore me while I am at the gym. I promise not to wear heavy perfume, or sing, or talk....but if I'm holding onto handle bars just ignore me.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    walking backwards... i always hope they will fall

I walk backwards on the treadmill sometimes, and I do a side shuffle sometimes too. It's part of the workout my trainer gives me to do. It's GOOD to mix things up!
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

AMEN!!
  • RGv2
    Options

I actually sat and thought about this one for a while - when you have a high intensity interval, your body demands a higher cardiac output - accordingly your stroke volume and your HR will increase to compensate. If you take your body to lets say 90% of your maximal cardiac output (which i doubt anybody actually does) - then jump of a treadmill its not your oxygen demands drop instantly and your body automatically kill's your heart rate.

what makes more sense is that people will jump off the treadmill and put their hands on their knees which will cause a change in venous return, or maybe they get in a squatting position which will also change venous return - which could then cause a much bigger change in HR and lead to a vasovagal crash or something.

not really trying to correct anybody - just kinda had to type that out to think it through

TLDR: More likely getting lightheaded/blacking out from positional changes - but regardless doesn't seem like the smartest idea

Can only go from what the PHd instructing our seminar gave us FWIW.
  • RGv2
    Options
    DOUBLEPOST.png
  • balancedfire
    balancedfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One time I was on a treadmill and some lady was in front of me. Without any warning she popped a squat and took a dump right there on the treadmill.

I think she was still going about 2km/ hour at the time.

I was angry, disgusted, and somewhat impressed.

OMG :noway:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I don't go to gyms anymore but I used to hate the "punch throwing" guy. Not only because he was always shadowboxing outside of the boxing training, but because I couldn't stand him (for no reason whatsoever) .

I just hated it when people had BO or sprung silent creepers that make you just wanna die and stop breathing.