WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. Have just come to the realization that by reading this board in the evenings after dinner, I am far less inclined to keep nibbilng, and I drink more water. Thanks, ladies. :love:

Jb_2011 Bravo on losing the 10 pant sizes! Enjoy those size 10’s. I’m sure you look fabulous. :smokin:

Judy – Congrats on the race. You are TOUGH and POSITiVE. Keep posting your inspiring stories.

Kate in Alberta – You make me laugh. May the ice melt soon and you enjoy every exotic, savory morsel you will try while DH is away.

LucyT - Totally relate to losing a shoe size. Happened to a friend of mine, too. Now you’ve given me the urge to shop for shoes. Actually, I'm always in the mood to shop for shoes. :laugh:

Marge – Welcome. Just with your post you are on the path to losing those 30#s. Keep checking back in and soaking up the friendship and wisdom from your 50+ sisters.

Lin – Fibro is a *****. I’ve managed to *control* it by doing cardio 6x a week and taking acupuncture treatments as soon as I feel any symptoms. Take care. :wink:

Got an icepack on my lower back as per my chiropractor's orders. :grumble: Am doing whatever I need to get fixed up and back in the gym. For now, just have to take it easy.

Stay well, my friends.

Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • mkasieta
    mkasieta Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I just found this site tonight and was happy to find a group of "seasoned" women in a community. I'm 54 years old, 5'4", live in Verona Wisconsin and am just getting over shingles. I had a relatively severe case and have been very inactive for over 2 months. Unfortunately, the disease didn't hurt my appetite so I gained 14 lbs between New Year's Eve and today.

I got a Fitbit for Christmas and started using it yesterday. I'm very serious about losing the extra lbs (and another 10-15) before June 2013. Can I join your group? What does "bump" mean?
  • nelkatherineharper
    nelkatherineharper Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello I am interested in being a part of this group..I have been reading some of your posts...but I really wish I could get an answer as to what everyone keeps saying BUMP for???? I asked this before but cannot find my post now....thank you...:smile: Im Nel and 65 years old..
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    New to this group. Liked the way you post, very conversational. Nice style!
    Marcia (Northern Va and expecting a big snow storm!)....Not sure, but I think "bump" means ditto, or agree, or same.. as in if I say I loved Lincoln, and one of you replies, "bump" you loved it too!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    One answer I read was that 'bump' was used to reserve your spot. I don't understand that either.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I finish up my diabetic class training tomorrow. But then I have 3 individual classes that I can get because of my Medicare. Can't decide whether I want to take advantage of that.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BUMP means "bring up my post." Really it just shows you where you left off...

Eileen
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Marti- you joined by posting! No, there's nothing special you need to do, just come in and get lots of motivation, vitamin F (friends), tips, and ideas. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you've been thru a lot lately.

Roz - I know what you mean by so many posts. I didn't have a lot of time last night, but I couldn't get over how many posts there were! Which pilates DVD do you have? I'm always looking for new pilates ones

Did an hour of a DVD that I have for the bosu. Tomorrow I'll go to yoga and then deep water.

Linda Sundance - I've found yoga helps me to be more flexible (and I'm the most inflexible person on the faace of this earth). Good luck to you!

Laurie - welcome. Keep posting, you'll get lots of encouragement

Sandy - woo hoo, so close to your milestone. Do you have something special planned for when you do get there? Good luck to you on your weight in

Amanda - feel bettter fast! Good luck on the tests you have upcoming

Sandy from Ontario - we're glad to have you join us!

I can't wait for Sunday to get here, either. Counting down the days

DeeDee - it's amost 10 and it's been raining here a while now. I have to go get my hair done, then I'll probably play mahjongg.

M - safe travels to CO. That's so nice of you to stay with your mother! Can you take some pilates or yoga DVD's with you? You'll probably need to put some towels down on the floor so it's not so hard (or maybe a blanket) What about a walking DVD? These are some of the things I take to the condo with me, I have to be mindful of the people below us (not make much noise) and the fact that there isn't a whole lot of room to workout. Happy birthday to you sd

Jo - lol re: sun. Really made me smile.

Welcome everyone new

Nancy - so close, you can do it!

jb - yea down to a 14! You go girl! 10 pants sizes, that's awesome

Judy - congrats on the run! You SHOULD be proud of yourself

Meg - so sorry to hear about Benny Beagle. Givek him lots of love, that'll help him AND you. You're lucky you were given until 35 to have sex. According to my daughter, Vince and I didn't have sex and don't. Isn't that a hoot?

BetsyAnn - the numbers are going down. OK, it may be slowly, but at least they're going down and not up. Keep up the good work

I was at mahjongg today and my cousin called to tell me that my other cousin passed away. We knew it was coming, she had ovarian cancer, was on chemo for the last 5 years but discontinued it (for a myrad of reasons). I don't know why, but it hit me hard. Maybe because she was only 2 years older than I am. Maybe it's because we grew up together, I don't know. But I left mahjongg. Will go to Mexican Train tonight, tho.

Marge/Judy - thanks, Judy, for bringing Marge to us. I know she'll love it here.

grandmalle - Vince likes me to cook things that HE likes, so what I do is I cook something for him (right now it's a meatloaf) and put it in the freezer, Cook the two items and put one in the freezer or cook a double batch and put some in the freezer. Eventually, you'll only have to cook one meal. Vince likes Hungry Jack waffles, I like the Fiber One. So I make two, and freeze one. Then the next time I make them, I make two of the other one, have one and freeze one. It all works out. I can't believe you got a cookie bouquet!

Lin - I do hope you feel better fast. Pain isn't for sissys

Roz - awesome weight loss

I can't believe how late it was when we got back from Mexican Train. Just had fruit and the sausage cheese balls that I brought. Too many what looked like fried foods or dips that were creamy. And I didn't have dessert (it just doesn't appeal to me)

barbie - will Jake need to be in the hospital very long this time. I wouldn't think so.

"bump" is an ancronym for "bring my post up". What it means is that it's on the top of your list of places where you post under "my topics" You can just click on that and it'll bring you right here.

Worked out today, then left to get my hair colored, then went to play mahjongg but before we started my cousin called to tell me my other cousin had passed away, so I left early, got Vince his donuts came home, made dinner, then went to play Mexican Train. Can't believe how late we got home! Had to rush to take my shower, than goodness I had most of the things for the next day ready (clothes for exercise, my breakfast, etc). Now just popping in here, will be going to bed soon.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele in NC
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've finished day 3 of being sick. It's killing me to look at my fitbit and see 2000 steps for the day, and that's only because I'm in the basement and have to go up the stairs to get anything. So, I have a good stair count (17) but the steps - so depressing. I do feel much better and feel I'll probably go to work tomorrow, or at the very least work from home.

Have to admit I wasn't up to reading everything but I selfishly scanned for my name.

Lin - thank you, Lucy - I wish I had grandkids for my dogs to stumble over.

Sundance - yup the old Mom's club. My 17 year old was shocked at my friends' drinking ability at the New Year's Eve party with went to.
    Jodio - yes the kids were here to, but since I was ill they had unlimited computer time and I pretty much couldn't tell they were here.

Kate - I didn't understand your post at first - when you said 10 training videos - I was thinking exercise videos and thought how cool, the company is on a fitness kick, then realized you said training. Yes any new management is a pain.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: You and Jake are in my prayers. It is tough when your life partner is in the hospital. I have recent experience with this, and also with the need to just keep doing the next thing. I hope tomorrow goes smoothly and everything is good.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning

:flowerforyou: Barbie what a busy day, and then having to leave Jake for another bout of surgery, I hope he gets back home soon with you and the doggies. :heart:

:sad: Michele sorry for your loss. A few weeks ago I went to my nieces baby and toddler's christening, it was lovely to see relatives I haven't seen for ages, catching up with them etc, usually it's sad circumstances that bring us all together. We all said we should meet up at least once a year for a catch up. Hopefully we'll get something organised for later this year.

:flowerforyou: Lin and Wessecg hope you both feel better soon pain is so debilitating.

:flowerforyou: Meg hope Benny the beagle is okay, I know what you mean about animals being our "babies" :heart:

:flowerforyou: Amanda sorry I'm a bit out of the loop - are you having tests for something? Hope all goes well.

:flowerforyou: Renny I'd love to do Zumba and the one for the oldies sounds just up my street, nothing around here though, I've been thinking about getting a dvd but not sure if I could keep up with it :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Time has run away with me again, so much for me starting to exercise this morning :embarassed: :embarassed: I need to organise my time better - I will go for a walk at lunchtime today (something I haven't been doing) and will try and get some exercise done tonight when I get home from work.

Must dash
    Have a lovely day all

Viv York UK
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, It is so good to find a group that is in my age group...I have looked at your posting and you all really support one another, :smile: I am finding it SO hard to lose the weight but I keep plugging along...I have Fibro and some other Chronic diseases but trying to not let these stop me from losing the weight..but It is hard at times.
    Well ladies you have a great Wednesday...hope I can come back to visit.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cheryl:smile: Hope you feel better:flowerforyou: !

Meg:smile: Sending well wishes to Benny Beagle:flowerforyou: !!! They are our babies:love: !!!

Michele:smile: So sorry about your cousin:cry: !!!

Viv:smile: It`s so nice to see you posting again!!!!!

Barbie:smile: Sending good wishes to Jake:flowerforyou: !!!!

LizPlus:smile: It is hard to lose this pesky extra weight:grumble: , but it will come off eventually, just keep logging your food and drinking your water, and moving a bit more! You`re always welcome here!!!

I did read all the posts and I`m sending everyone good thoughts!!! Have a wonderful day ladies!!!
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: (it really is important):drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly, windy but no snow:bigsmile: NC
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump (bump) Day!! :drinker:

Ooo!!..I found the end!!....for a brief moment. :laugh:

I finally fell off the darn diet plateau...after having been stuck on that ledge for a month now. I have been upping exercise, tweaking my diet and calories, and trying to figure out how to get the scale to budge.
    While I was doing all of that, it is nice to read others notes of progress, motivations, and just friendly posts! Thank you ladies!
    As for losing weight after 50...what with peri-menopause, health issues, etc...... :explode: Things can just get frustrating after a while.
    I have found that buying and using a food kitchen scale has helped tremendously, especially with MFP. I have been teaching myself what portions look like, and trying to find the happy median with eating smaller portions. No more "home buffet"..eat all you want. And it has been making a difference.
    Weightloss just takes longer than in my 40's and younger days. Used to be, half a pound a day would come off a day, if I ate right and exercised. That was motivation enough. Now, the rules changed and i am just getting the memo.
    Also, dealing with hypoglycemia and PCOS, I have to watch what I eat and how I eat. I can't allow my blood sugar to go too low, or else I pay for it for a few days by feeling bad. So, I am finding MFP helps with that also. Not to mention it adds everything up immediately.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning,

I have been reading but not posting. Good luck, good planning, and good followthrough for today.....off to class.

BJ, SWOnt.
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Enjoying reading everyones posts - it really is motivating to know that I am not in the weight struggle alone!

Yesterday to celebrate my 51st birthday I .... worked out. 40 minutes of intense cardio (rebounding) and then 20 minutes of shoulder work (planks), abs, lunges, and then 5 blissful minutes of stretching .... my workout buddies really push me to keep going (easy for them - they are all still in their 30's!)

Grandmallie: I bought girl scout cookies from a friend last weekend and they are still in my refrigerator - that is a HUGE success for me...usually they are eaten within a day or 2!!

JB: Thank you for the water info - makes it easier to remember to drink it when you know the actual "reason" for drinking it other than just "your supposed to"

awake4777: Congrats on nearing the 100 lb mark! That is FANTASTIC!!

Sue: Welcome! Hope to see you on here often :smile:

Tammy: I hate seeing myself in a picture or sometimes a passing glimpse in the mirror. If I see a picture of myself I tend to nitpick every little thing.

wessecg: I have a 13 year old daughter at home .... Lord help me thru her teen years!!

Must get back to work - more later
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Well again I sat here typed everything out, hit a wrong button and POOF~ away it goes :laugh:
    Barbie sorry to hear that Jake had to stay another night,hopefully it is fixed permenantly now, I am truly in awe of your walking,I am going to buy the pain free book ,so that I can get myself walking and feeling better again.
    Meg so sad to hear about Benny, we have 2 furbabies and one is on meds for bladder stones ,he has had one operation already and will need another soon. It is so hard to see our little ones suffer.give him big hugs from his buddy Alison(me)and from his fur buddies, Homer and Chester.
    went in to get my coat in the locker room and started chatting with a few of the regular girls there, they are in fantastic shape,told them I aspire to be them someday..they said you will do it!!! then started bragging about MFP, got them both so excited that they immediately put it on there phones~told them what a great bunch of ladies I hang out with and how the program works,and that I am trying to do 1200 cal a day,they were impressed. So Im proud of myself,helping along fellow friends on our way to health and fitness:blushing:
    Just had pasta with sauce and veggies for breakfast,unusual but filling..gonna log it in a second.. now answer me something if you can, when measuring out pasta, say 2 oz. dry do you go by that calorie count when it is cooked. because cooked it says 220 calories for the same thing.. I get confused:grumble:
    dont work until noontime today so putzing around on the computer and making the DH his dinner and lunch, then to the shower and get ready for work. I dont have the t.v. on I am just typing away listening to the birdies sing!! makes me so very:happy:
    my favorite prayer is the serenity prayer; at it truly applies
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    The courage to change the things I can
    And the wisdom to know the difference..
    sometimes in this crazy world we get caught up in all sorts of drama, and stress... but we just have to take a step back, take a deep breath and say ok, and move on with it.
    at least that is how I feel, we all have issues in our lives, but one thing we have is friendship and we are all working on a common goal~ so stay sweet my lovelies and enjoy the day xoxox:heart: .
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    never mind the calories came up on the calorie counter~~ wow that was a big breakfast lol, oh well will finish the day with fruits and dairy
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Snow day today -- always dangerous to be at home near the refrigerator! DH has a colonoscopy tomorrow so I am considering joining him in his liquid diet today for support and to keep myself from eating everything in sight. I'm posting a two pound loss today -- finally off the #$#@ plateau and moving back towards pre-holiday weight?