Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all those telling you that it's terrible for you, gonna give you cancer, etc etc.

As long as you aren't drinking a 12 pk a day you are fine. The only reason to cut it out is if you want to cut out caffiene or you have an issue with sweeteners. Nothing wrong with drinking diet pop though.

Its been shown to be safe at 4000mg/kg.

I am 120kg, I could drink 480000mg and I'd be healthy. 480,000mg is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of aspartame.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

if you're losing weight i'd say stay away, water or juice is going to be better for you though one can isn't going to kill you, i'd say it's down to personal preferance, if it were me i'd use a drinking opportunity to get vitamins in me, orange juice is going to give you vitamin C a can of coke is going to give you rank sweeteners and caffine, failing that water will hydrate you better

Juices will slow your weight loss. Basically concentrated sugar straight into your bloodstream. Orange juice is what we give diabetics with low blood sugar to prevent them from going into a coma...if you want Vitamin C, eat an orange...

Not much good with Vodka though lol
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    "Soda is liquid Satan" - Rory Freedman

That line has always cracked me up. Personally, I have a to-each-their-own attitude about soda and diet soda. I don't touch the stuff and haven't in years. When my brother poured a coke into an unoccupied fish pond in the yard to kill mosquito larvae and it was like a liquid mushroom cloud of destruction, decimating the entire bug population of the pond, I got a pretty clear idea of what it could be doing to my body to drink the stuff.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I will never give up my Diet Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero. Some people may say it's bad for you, some may say it's not. It doesn't effect my nutrition so I refuse to give it up my caffeine, heh.

^This
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    :sad: I haven't enjoyed a diet soda since lent started!! I'm okay without it, I've realized I don't need it but every now and then I'm sure won't hurt you. Just like everything else, moderation is key.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Caffeine IS addictive and it gives you false energy. Also, the carbonation isn't the best thing for your stomach. I broke up with Dr. Pepper over a year ago and I haven't missed him one bit. I drink water. Water, and an occasional Fuze Slenderize. That's it.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    and don't get me started on Aspertame
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Drink up
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    All I know is that I cut it out completely....none....and my migraines have decreased by 90%. Just one a month instead of one every 2 days. It is the only major change I have made, still drink coffee, so I think they are linked. My migraines were becoming dibilitating.....they were awful. No Diet Coke = no migraines for me. I have had a 2 liter sitting in my pantry for a month. In the past, it would have lasted a day. Just my 2 cents.....

My headaches weren't severe usually, but this was also the case for me. I've had 2 diet cokes in the past two months, and far fewer headaches/migraines. So that's a perk to cutting it. But I do crave carbonation occasionally, so I've taken to drinking Sparkling Ice.

No headaches for me as long as I avoid caffeine as well. Just the occasional TOM migraine.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all those telling you that it's terrible for you, gonna give you cancer, etc etc.

As long as you aren't drinking a 12 pk a day you are fine. The only reason to cut it out is if you want to cut out caffiene or you have an issue with sweeteners. Nothing wrong with drinking diet pop though.

Its been shown to be safe at 4000mg/kg.

I am 120kg, I could drink 480000mg and I'd be healthy. 480,000mg is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of aspartame.

Exactly I did the math one time and for me to even have a chance to start seeing side effects from aspartame I would have to consume 53 cans a day.... So I feel quite comfortable with my 2 to 3 a day and last I check it hasn't hindered my weight loss.....Best of Luck OP....
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

That line has always cracked me up. Personally, I have a to-each-their-own attitude about soda and diet soda. I don't touch the stuff and haven't in years. When my brother poured a coke into an unoccupied fish pond in the yard to kill mosquito larvae and it was like a liquid mushroom cloud of destruction, decimating the entire bug population of the pond, I got a pretty clear idea of what it could be doing to my body to drink the stuff.

It's not doing anything worse than netting 200 calories a day is doing to your body...
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I drank 2-3 a day for several months.. would get a headache sometimes if more than that. I quit over a week ago and haven't really noticed and change except the (directly related) headaches are gone.

It's so delicious...
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the other posts, so here is my opinion(take it for what it's worth). I tend to feel better when I'm off Diet sodas. That's why I am currently off them. Diet sodas do contain more sodium than regular 'sugar full' ones.
  • enochsig
    enochsig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with soda since I was a teenager. And to ween myself off I switched to diet. Then I cut back on that. And now I just don't buy it and reserve it for when I am out to eat or at a social gathering. But when I do decide to have it I try to for the Throwback soda. It has actual sugar and not the corn syrup.

If having a can a day is part of your routine and you don't have anymore than that sure go ahead and have it. Everything in moderation I think. Plus, if you just cut it out and want it then you might end up binging later.

The way I see it, is if you are only having a bit of it you're fine.

Have your diet coke. :)

(ps, thanks for sharing! <3)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Caffeine IS addictive and it gives you false energy.
    This happens to be true. It does raise blood levels of stress hormones though to help cope with stress. Also temporarily increases adrenaline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Is it as bad for me as I think it is?

Would have one can a day at lunchtime, but is it worth stripping it out if I'm on this diet/exercise thing properly.

Have looked it up, but the net is full of contradictions!

Thanks.

Marc.

Diet Coke!!! Yes Please!!! You'll get a whole a lot of answers on here ranging from 'it's the nectar of the devil avoid at all costs' to 'I can't live without it'. And everyone will have some sort of 'scientific' back up to prove their point. Here's my very unscientific opinion. I drink diet soda. I like it, it tastes good to me. It doesn't lead me to uncontrollable sugar cravings and I haven't grown any extra limbs. Do I think it's good for me?....hell no. But pick your poison...it's a contaminated chemical society we live in anyway. I limit my intake to one or two glasses a day....and just enjoy!:drinker:
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

It's not doing anything worse than netting 200 calories a day is doing to your body...

The user who started this thread, at least appeared to me, to be soliciting other people's opinions about diet soda. I did not pass judgement, nor I did not say what I thought was right or wrong for anyone else – to the contrary, I was quite explicit in stating I have a to-each-their-own attitude about soda consumption. I simply stated my experience and decision regarding diet sodas.

The fact that you felt compelled by that to troll my food diary and call into question my physician- and nutritionist-supervised meal plan says a lot more about you than my opinion on sodas could ever say about me.
  • jfazio22
    jfazio22 Posts: 15
    Options
    My opinion: Humans have survived for thousands of years before diet soda so evidently it is not pertinent to our existence.

Honestly, looking at this question from another direction, it's apparent you think there could be something wrong with diet soda or you wouldn't have asked. Why go against your judgement for the opinions of others. No one here knows what reaction your body could have to diet drinks. If you think you may be healthier or will be able to achieve greater results by quitting, then quit.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The facepalm is strong here.

I think 90% of arguments on nutrition come down an argument between actual science and pseudo science. I choose actual science personally. Most people here would tend to agree with me but unfortunately the pseudo science can often look like legitimate science to the majority. Here's a good read...

http://lifehacker.com/5985561/how-to-conduct-scientific-research-on-the-internet-without-getting-duped
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think this really comes down to personal preference. I used to drink at least one a day but I only drink it on Saturdays now (to mix with my vodka!).

I feel better in myself because I only drink water or green tea Sunday - Monday. But that could just be a placebo effect...I can't say its a direct result of not drinking diet coke.

Maybe try cutting down to a couple of times a week and see how you feel doing that. If you really want to drink it then just have it!

You're an inspiration to me that you could lose SO much weight and still drink vodka with diet soda on the weekends!

I LOVE my vodka, but I always find myself up between 2-3 #'s after a weekend jag with the girls!!! Then it takes me most of the week to fight that water retention weight back off to get back on the losing end again. Do you have any tricks for me there? I try hard to stick to my vodka, and I like the higher end ones the best and try my best to drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage I consume, but I still fight with it. :*(