The stupidest thing you used to think...

Options

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Stupidest thing I used to think? That there was no Jesus D: (I'm a new Christian)
    awesome congratulations!!!!! Wonderful relationship with Christ gives you life so happy for you!!!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I thought the drying machine was shrinking my clothes.
    So I changed it.
    And then I realized that I was getting bigger.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Oh, while we're branching away from fitness:

I used to believe in the "five second rule", and would eat anything off of any surface so long as I snatched it up quick enough. I shudder to think of what I ingested as a teenager...!

WHAT!? THIS IS ALL TRUE THOUGH ...
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    At my heaviest I used to think that once I lost weight clothes shopping will be so easy. Now( 20kg lighter) I fit in the things, but it is still the same problem to find something that I really like. Now I know I am just very picky.
  • IvanDimitrov
    Options
    Fat is genetic :laugh:
    My family really put the effort in convincing me in this through my youth .
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options

It used to be that if I saw a really fit girl running on the street I would think to myself: "Really? She is trying to loose more weight? Seriously, she has problems if she is not happy with the way she looks."

It did not even occur to me that she may NOT be trying to loose any weight, that she just wants to be fit, healthy, and have great muscle tone and healthy heart.

^^^^ totally this!! all exercise was to lose weight and was totally unenjoyable and hard.

And just exercise alone would be all you needed to lose weight. I knew that sure no chocolate cake for dinner, but I also thouhgt my triple decker BLT with tons of mayo and bacon was good for you. I mean lettuce, tomoatoe, 3 slices whole wheat bread, protein in the 10 slices of bacon bacon. Its gotta be good ha. yeah right.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That I "just wasn't meant for fitness" because I sucked at anything athletic-related. I sucked at sports in high school (like, literally zero skills), so no one ever encouraged me to get better, and I remained terrible. Bit of a vicious cycle.

Once I was older I realized I could be in awesome shape without being able to do a layup or spike a volleyball.
  • kamkoolot
    kamkoolot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That eating the same food but staying within my calorie limit will still get me to the body that I wanted, toned and defined LOL!

I just learned actually yesterday the reason why my tummy stayed flabby after I lost weight before.
  • kiannarb
    kiannarb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I never believed in the magical sky fairy, so I don't have to waste my one "stupidest thing I ever thought..." on that particular thing.

I'm in this same boat. Even though I went to Catholic School for a few years. I thought they were schizo :laugh: :laugh:

On a health related note...

"Girls can't lift heavy, it will make them bulky".

I am right there with you. my mom would say that to me when she noticed I was stronger than my older brother. And until i did my research it always stayed in the back of my mind. But, when I started doing it, I liked the response I would get from both sexes.

My other stupidest thing i used to think,,, were that my parents were never kids. They were always parents. :laugh:
  • VeeVeeBirch
    Options
    I used to think that I could always have a little extra and it wouldn't hurt. A candy bar here. A venti latte there. 80 to 90 pounds overweight later.... I finally realize that isn't true.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use to think at 16yrs old that I was extremely fat at 120lbs; just because I had some extra skin on thighs and stomach. I never wore shorts, short sleeves or any other color than black even in the summer. My swim suit was always under a huge black t-shirt with black shorts. And I would only eat one snack and one meal a day (Lived on my own and couldn’t afford food).

Looking back now... I was very stupid, misinformed, and had major body image issues as well as a possible ED. Sad it takes you 14yrs and a web site full of people eating the right way to show you how much you didn’t know.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to think that the only way people would like me was if I was thin and the only way to be thin was to not eat anything if I could help it and that if it killed me at least I would be thin when I died. Pretty damn stupid thinking back on it now.
  • MarisaMiller257
    Options
    Oh, while we're branching away from fitness:

I used to believe in the "five second rule", and would eat anything off of any surface so long as I snatched it up quick enough. I shudder to think of what I ingested as a teenager...!

I used to believe if I inhaled the cheat food quick enough, and blocked it out....the calories didn't count......
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I used to believe if I inhaled the cheat food quick enough, and blocked it out....the calories didn't count......

I had some friends who believe that as long as they only order tea, than eat half your food off your plate, it does not count. For calories or the bill :)
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That restaurant portions were of a normal size and it wasn't only natural, but maybe even necessary to clean the plate--fries and all.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I used to think that you HAD to only eat salads & vegetables all the time to get skinny. I learned that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Portion control & lots of exercise is what does it for me. :)

Same here! I tried to lose some weight last fall and ate so little that I was getting to be what you all call "hangry." Then I'd eat junk all weekend because I did so "well" starving myself during the week. Then I quit because I only lost a couple of pounds in the 6 weeks I was using that method.

Now I know better :wink:
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That certain foods were FOREVER "off limits" if I wanted to lose weight! lol I also used to think that people who were fit NEVER ate bread or sugar or drank. Yeah, I was confused!
  • phoenixrizez
    Options
    I used to think that you HAD to only eat salads & vegetables all the time to get skinny. I learned that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Portion control & lots of exercise is what does it for me. :)

Same here! I tried to lose some weight last fall and ate so little that I was getting to be what you all call "hangry." Then I'd eat junk all weekend because I did so "well" starving myself during the week. Then I quit because I only lost a couple of pounds in the 6 weeks I was using that method.

Now I know better :wink:

We are in the EXACT same boat! I tried that method for a LONG TIME before it occurred to me that the scale moved when I ate MORE and not less! LOL at "hangry"
  • phoenixrizez
    Options
    That restaurant portions were of a normal size and it wasn't only natural, but maybe even necessary to clean the plate--fries and all.

Now I stop when I am full but it took FOREVER for me to break that "clean your plate" habit!
  • phoenixrizez
    Options
    I used to think that I could always have a little extra and it wouldn't hurt. A candy bar here. A venti latte there. 80 to 90 pounds overweight later.... I finally realize that isn't true.

Haha! I used to think the same! I thought I was being "healthy" when I ate a big salad (covered in full fat Ranch dressing) and I would reward myself with a candy bar EVERY time because I thought the salad made up for the candy...which was then followed by Starbucks and maybe a bag of chips...you see where I am going with this...I was VERY misinformed.