Share the REAL reasons why you're fat (or too thin)

Options

Replies

• Busyboymomx3
    Busyboymomx3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    2 kids-stopped working to go back to school- mirena- shacked up with a hot mexican that cooks all of my dream food....for 5 years
  • Jitterbug17
    Options
    I used to be able to eat whatever and stay around 150lbs. Fairly healthy for my body size. Then I had a child and once I stopped breast feeding my weight started trickling upwards.

Still thought I could eat whatever I wanted... and more weight gain.

Depression and comfort eating .. more weight gain.

Stress and relationship problems.. more snacking ... more weight gain.

I take full responsibility for my bad habits because I know better. It just sucks "feeling" like an "addict".

Hunger pangs to me are like being brutally attacked. I cry ... it is ridiculous to feel constantly ravenous.

I have lots of health issues and my weight gain is seriously putting me at risk for worse things. I don't need it.

Time to make some good choices for me and my my child. :)
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love this. These are so awesome to read. I'm not alone!

My reason is similar to a lot of the people on here... I was lazy, started eating, didn't care for a while, and then realized!
  • Kimistry_
    Kimistry_ Posts: 91
    Options
    The trifecta of a second child, marriage and quitting work. After my first child, I went right back down to my old size. I was dating my would-be husband at that time, so I made it a point to look great, and I was working full time. We ended up getting married, I got pregnant again and then quit working.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hated the unwanted attention I got when I was young. I was the girl in a C cup at 11 and they just kept growing! All curves. All the boys were grabby and even old guys hit on me. I hated it! So I gained weight and kept it on for over 20 years, I have been pretty invisible as a fat chick. Of course now as I near 49 I would kill to have that body again!
  • Ise1324
    Ise1324 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I blame living in proverty all my childhood and eating healthy wasn't a choice, the choice was eat or don't eat what is served too you. never leave food on your plate because you don't now how many kids out there have nothing at all. I know my parents weren't tying to get me fat it was just how they got me to eat what they could afford.

I didn't grow up drinking coke, chips, candy (which is the only thing I still don't eat, I hate candy.) I seriously didn't know what it was to go eat out somewhere. I had no idea what a happy meal was when I heard my friends talk about the toy they had gotten the night before. That was a luxury we didn't have. When I did eat junk food it was at school only. Now looking back I see that I was deprived from what I considered "good life." So I kind of (without meaning to of course) indulged in what I didn't have, as I grew older it got easier to get my hands on something I didn't have at home.

I never ate healthy as a kid either because I wasn't taught how too. So here I am overweight! Didn't realize my poor choices would get me where I am now and have been for most of my teenage years. :ohwell:
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I grew up poor, mum refused to buy us any expensive food or any food that we liked and she didn't.

She would never buy us any junk food or takeaways nor give us breakfast at home or lunch for school.

We were hungry a lot of the time - and we 3 kids and mum were always skinny. We ate only simple foods in small quantities and many meals were skipped.

So I grew up thinking that money was much more important than food - and actually food was not really a factor in my life at all - I never really thought about it.

I was angry with my mother for a long time as an adult, because in my high school years I was teased about being 'anorexic' which I have never been but yes, that hurt. I didn't want to be different from everyone else.

Now I'm actually grateful, I've gained weight because my lifestyle changed when I married an overweight man, but I've never been overweight myself and I am thinner than 90% of women my age so at the end of the day I'm lucky.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i had lost most of the weight i wanted to and was fit, thin, healthy etc. then i changed cities, changed jobs, went down with a broken foot and a bout of depression, had a **** year, came of the anti-d's, went through a terrible withdrawal, lost my best friend (no great loss, the selfish lil *****), broke another toe and then dad got rediagnosed with cancer and this time its terminal. all in 18 months. things got too much for me, I over ate, then my ED (self-starving) kicked in, and seeing as I have thyroid disorder i screwed up my metabolism to wha ti feared was an ireparable level. I now know it's possible to gain my body back but I have to be pretty strong and positive to do it, so i am.
  • ravishedraven
    Options
    Genetics were my first problem. Then never ate perfectly, and only rarely tried to. Became very depressed. Got on anti-depressant, gain weight from the med and became even more depressed.

When anger, stress, or hurt I'd eat and still do sometimes now (two days ago), but I really want to stop. It hurts feeling like I can't control food I put into my mouth. Got on new anti-depressant that doesn't have side effect of weight gain, tomorrow I see my primary care doc. Hopefully get on diet plan (she is big on helping with weight loss), I'm going to the gym tomorrow (not maybe. I WILL go). First time in forever.
  • YourGirl_Tina
    YourGirl_Tina Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have always been on the chubby side even as a little kid.... but most of my weight gain came later and it was purely from being lazy, depressed, in an unhealthy relationship, and having an I don't care what you think of me attitude.... yeah, it back fired. lol
  • ShaunDen
    ShaunDen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    IT'S ALOT OF THINGS GROWING UP YOU ATE WHAT WAS PUT IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU ATE IT ALL BCUZ THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE...A TYPICAL DINNER WAS LIKE A WHOLE PIZZA PER PERSON FROM ALDI'S PLUS A $1 WORTH OF SNACKS OR 2 FRIED PORKSTEAKS AND A $1 WORTH OF SNACKS AND AS AN ADULT I KEPT EATING EXACTLY WHAT I DID AS A KID THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS I WAS OUT OF SCHOOL SO THERE WAS NO GYM!! WE LIVED IN REALLY BAD AREAS SO IT WASN'T SAFE TO BE OUTSIDE AND I GOT USED TO STAYIN INDOORS IN FRONT OF THE TV OR WITH MY NOSE IN A BOOK...NOW AS AN ADULT I DON'T LIKE TO GO ANYWHERE BY MYSELF AT ALL:( BUT I'MTRYIN' TO BREAK THAT HABIT BUT IT'S REALLY HARD I GET PHYSICALLY SICK AT THE THOUGHT OF GOIN' OUT BY MYSELF!! RIGHT NOW I'M CHANGING HOW MUCH I EAT HOPEFULLY SOON I CAN START WALKIN' BY MYSELF AND GET IN SOME EXERCISE ESPECIALLY SINCE I HAVE NO EQUIPMENT IN MY HOUSE LOL
  • forblueskies92
    Options
    Mainly emotional eating, which got particularly bad after losing my dad (started to binge and purge), then slowly went through a series of tough times, break ups etc, and it just slowly crept on, partying a lot, eating junk, being around my boyfriend, who eats a lot of junk food in effort to gain weight. A huge issue for me would be the whole cycle of eating when depressed, gain weight, and then I would feel more depressed and eat more and feel more hopeless.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I got fat because I got lazy after I got married to fat a lazy man.

I stayed fat because of my misguided belief that my mental illness and my pcos was limiting me.

I got healthy because I wanted to change and I'm staying healthy because I have a reason and a future.
  • Tereless
    Tereless Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Life Challenges- Weight gain started after 2nd child in 2000. 12 lb baby boy!! Who is now 12 years old. Symptoms of fibromyalgia and a hip injury kept me in the house watching 2 kids under 2. The weight never came off like it did with my daughter in 1998. So 50lbs heavier than ever and managing a growing family I tried many things to loose the weight, swimming, walking, pushing stroller and walking dog. Nothing seemed to be working then I was diagnosed as Cushings after the steroids I was taking to alleviate the Fibro pain. Ballooned weight up to 239 my delivery weight that has taken years to get rid of even 20 lbs.

Stopped the steroids, had the blood work up and even though some days are filled with excruciating pain I am pushing through!

Had a hip replacement in 2011 and now I am able to walk up to 3 miles or more and ride a bike 10 miles. Working 20 minutes daily on Stationary bike and will increase by 5 minutes each week to level out at 40 minutes daily. Glad to have the accountability of MFP to help me keep track of foods and exercise.
    Keep up the good work you all inspire me to be better and better every day!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I was raised eating whatever and however much. My mom didn't/doesn't like to cook, so a lot of things were/are boxed and prepacked foods. So I've been over weight since I can remember.

In my early teens my mom decided that "we" needed to work on "our" weight. My brother and I were home schooled. We were yelled at daily about how big we were and how we needed to do something about it. Thats when my body image issues started.

I'm single and live alone now, almost 30yrs old. My mother still shames me about my weight and size, she sometimes comments about how I won't find a bf until I lose weight, which is why my self esteem is almost non existent. I'm working on my weight for ME and not anyone else right now.

I'm a stress eater, so that really doesn't help things. I have BDD tendencies. Sometimes I consider trying anorexia but I remind myself it's not healthy. I've also thought about liposuction and surgeries to make me look better (even get encouragement from my mom for it) But I can't afford it and I want the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Well, I think thats it. I've been working on this stuff for the past year, but it is so hard, especially when I'm alone.
  • HarleyQuinn1774
    HarleyQuinn1774 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not fat. I HAVE fat. There's a difference. The fat I have is from eating too much crap and spending way too much time sitting on my *kitten*. =) Thanks to exercise and a complete change in my lifestyle, I have significantly less fat than I did last year.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was young weight was NEVER an issue for me or anyone in my family. My parents were divorced when I was 10 and ever since then with the exception of 2-3 yrs I have been overweight. I truly think I used food then (and still do today) as a comfort type of thing because I missed my mom and now I am trying to change this terrible habit before my 2yr old son picks up my terrible habits too.
  • FitWithTiff
    Options
    I feel I gained from feeling lonely. I can honestly say food has always been my "go-to" when my emotions are getting the best of me. I still struggle with these things, but consider I am doing more harm than good. It is not easy, but gets easier with every step!
  • lisabig21
    Options
    i have been thru alot, i had a liver transplant, and it took me a year to learn to walk again ,i had a stroke,i still am not too active , i have bad balance,i lost 90 lbs when i was so sick,i looked so good, but my appitite returned,and i am a nervous eater, i am a very addictive person, which means i become addicted to things easily and that includes food, but for me it is sugar and chocolate, please give me support and some good sweet snack tip, i woulds appreciate all help, good luck to all, we can do it LISA
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because I ate alot of junk food. Like I could eat a whole large pizza every day! my favorite celeb was eating that way and never gained weight and was always thin and slim so I thought it's okay but it turned out not! also I used to eat twix and nutella (lots of nutella) every single day!