The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options

Replies

• heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What i dislike.... Is when people post their success stories. They just seem to be so positive(ik that they should be very happy with themselves though!) Anyways... its insipiring to see someones success, but for the person that hasnt reached their goals yet, its a little discourageing, because they dnt seem to explain how hard it was to stick with or that they had their time of doubts and dissapointment....

This was hard to explain for some reason, ha... So idk if it makes much sense!

I truly hope to see your success story on here one day! The journey is long and the battle is fierce , I want that chocolate bar the same as I did on day one. I now choose to remove myself from the room, leave the house when the urge is too great or do house work or make something sweet but not as high in calories. I still fall off the diet wagon, but I consider those days my bodies need for something I'm lacking. I get up the next day and start over. I do agree that sometimes seeing the success stories does bother me, but mostly because I still don't think my story is ready. I've reached my goal and set a new one but I'm not a fitness orientated person and I'm trying to learn. I hope everyone has their success granted and can look back and see that they accomplished this, with friends support or on their own the final decision was theirs to make and they chose a better lifestyle for themselves. Sorry if this went a weird direction but I just feel that some people need that show of success to us in order to continue their journey. And that's okay with me, even if I see some that make me feel lazy and not quite done.
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The preoccupation with body image. When I was 70+ pounds heavier, I never really looked at myself in any great detail. Now I find myself staring in the mirror, nitpicking every little flaw.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The fear of actually seeing change. Knowing I want to lose the weight, but mentally I feel like its not actually going to happen.
    [/quot]

"THIS"
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I expected my clothes to shrink but nobody told me my feet were going to shrink! I went from a 9.5 to an 8.5, maaaybe 9. Not a huge difference and I can get away with wearing my old sneakers and flats, but heals had to be replaced because I stepped out of them when walking.

Another experience I had – and this could just be my experience and not happen to everyone – was that, while nobody talked about my weight when I was at my heaviest, once I started losing the flood gates opened and nearly everyone suddenly thought it was ok to comment on my weight. I didn't really mind, none of it was negative and I have always been happy to share my experiences and encourage others to do what makes them happy, but it did sort of become the only thing people would talk about and there is more to me.
    ^This. EXACTLY!!!!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    From a Guy's standpoint of view.

I am surprised at how much I enjoy shopping for clothes. I have bought an entire new wardrobe. And I had to buy alot of clothes along the way, as I lost. It is also alot of fun GIVING away my clothes that no longer fit, to friends and donating to people who could use them.

I am also surprised at how good I feel and look. I thought I would have a ton of loose skin. Surprised that I don't have any.

I am amazed also that my head and feet shrunk.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.

OMG YES! MY BIRTHDAY IS NEXT MONTH AND I WANNA BUY NEW CLOTHES, BUT I'M NOT AT MY GOAL YET SO THEY WOULD END UP TOO BIG.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That when you shop in regular sized clothes section of a store you are thinking that everyone is wondering why the fat chic is in their side of the store. lol. I am a pretty much a solid 12 but when I go looking for clothes I swear everyone is wondering why I am there.
  • heidihorton
    Options
    That when you shop in regular sized clothes section of a store you are thinking that everyone is wondering why the fat chic is in their side of the store. lol. I am a pretty much a solid 12 but when I go looking for clothes I swear everyone is wondering why I am there.

I do this too! Still not used to " normal" stores or the selection of clothes in my size
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!

This.

AMEN! I'VE BEEN FAT ALL MY LIFE. I AM NOT EVEN AT MY GOAL YET AND ALREADY HAVING TO ADJUST IN MY MIND.
  • MeIShouldB
    Options
    Suddenly being able to be proud of your body after being self conscious for years and now people are calling you self centered. Or realizing people who saw you as the non-threatening fat girl now resent you for being confident.
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ooh yeah, that blend of body dysmorphia, disappointed expectations and actual tissue damage from having stretched everything out, and THEN figuring out what's real and isn't, while you're figuring out what to do about it.

So yeah, being between a wrap dress and a bikini.

Love your sense of humour!
  • sophrosyne_
    sophrosyne_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    the way people suddenly like you more because you look different. according to the way society treats you, your value goes up as your weight goes down. that's honestly the hardest part to deal with... the realization that that's all people really care about.
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My rings are so loose now....need to size them down!
  • cjvvus
    cjvvus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is my mental picture of myself has not caught up with my physical appearence. I have been getting lots of compliments and encouragement at work. Coworkers making comment about how good I look. The scale tells me I have lost weight, I have had to buy new clothes but I am still wrapping my brain around who I see in the mirror.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to buy really cheap clothes while losing weight. Lots of Target, TJ Maxx, just got some jeans at Old Navy for $25 when I grew "out" of my size 16s. And I only bought one pair and they're going to have to last me! This way I don't feel so bad about losing weight. I only buy things that I think will last me several sizes, like shirts, because I'm not going to become a size medium for a long time.

Smart! I'm going to be doing the same thing; I needed some new clothes lately but have been scouring the sales racks as I don't intend on being this weight for too long. It's hard; I know in the past when I've dropped a dress size the excitement is so great I just wanted to rush out and buy everything in my new size! But it's expensive and when they start looking loose again; eep.

I did go to a few garage sales though and found a really nice dress in a good brand which is in my goal size. I have it for motivation; squeezed into it recently (it looks terrible on me right now) and when I get there I will wear it again when it actually fits so I have comparison photos. It only cost me $4 so if for whatever reason I can't get to my goal it's no loss money-wise. Garage sales and thrift shops guys! Worth searching!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    bumping to read tomorrow ...... sweet dreams :yawn:
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The thing that nobody talked to me about - and I wasn't ready for - was that even though I knew I was smaller, I still FELT exactly the same. And not just felt the same, but I felt that I LOOKED the same, too.

No matter how many pictures I saw of myself as a slimmer person, I never felt like that version of myself.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED buying new clothes, and shopping actually become fun again! But it kind of felt like a sham. I knew I was smaller, but I still felt like me, the fat girl.

Which is I think where I went wrong. I had lost about 55 pounds, and loved it. But since I didn't FEEL like a different person, my fat girl habits snuck back in, and I ended up gaining most of the weight back. So here I am, just about starting over, and kicking myself.

This time around, I am going to take actual progress pictures so I can see every step of the process, and so becoming slimmer doesn't sneak up on me like a happy surprise. This time around, I'm going to appreciate all of the hard work I am putting into myself, and I wont take it for granted. This time around, it is going to be permanent!
  • heidihorton
    Options
    The thing that nobody talked to me about - and I wasn't ready for - was that even though I knew I was smaller, I still FELT exactly the same. And not just felt the same, but I felt that I LOOKED the same, too.

No matter how many pictures I saw of myself as a slimmer person, I never felt like that version of myself.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED buying new clothes, and shopping actually become fun again! But it kind of felt like a sham. I knew I was smaller, but I still felt like me, the fat girl.

Which is I think where I went wrong. I had lost about 55 pounds, and loved it. But since I didn't FEEL like a different person, my fat girl habits snuck back in, and I ended up gaining most of the weight back. So here I am, just about starting over, and kicking myself.

This time around, I am going to take actual progress pictures so I can see every step of the process, and so becoming slimmer doesn't sneak up on me like a happy surprise. This time around, I'm going to appreciate all of the hard work I am putting into myself, and I wont take it for granted. This time around, it is going to be permanent!

Good luck!! I hope you reach your goal, I wish I would have taken more pics on my journey. I avoided cameras every chance I got!
  • yvnursechick
    yvnursechick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    taking compliments fro coworks... saying wow you'velost weightwhen ifeel like im strugglng.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    How differently I would be treated.I kind of resent it sometimes.

I'm the same person with the same personality and the same brain.

Yet I was with the same company for 14 years and didn't get any of the promotions I put in for until I lost weight.

THIS!!!!

Man! I have noticed just how much my weight was impeding my job success too. Still pi$$es me off.

I agree that it is horrible to pass someone up on jobs just because of their weight. And no one should have to go through that. But from what I have seen it is Confidence that get promotions more than anything else regardless of current skills even. The more confident in themselves and what theyre doing is way more likely to get promoted in my opinion.

I dont know if you were as confident then as you are now that you are getting these promotions. You may have been in your mind but it wasn't projecting out in the way you thought it was to other people. I doubt the majority of people (always some *kitten* holes though) are thinking she's/he's fat lets not promote her. But when comparing two people theyre going to pick the person that seems like they feel like theyre more able to accomplish the job.

If you look at peoples before and after pictures and just look at their faces. Youll tend to see how much happier they are with themselves and project that to other people.

Hell even look at mine and I wasnt really too down on myself about my weight.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's us and not them.