Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• TurquoiseSky
    TurquoiseSky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

This.

VS....

Organic locally raised chicken.

Ingredients: Organic locally raised chicken.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I think the home made veggy burgers are better (and better for you) but the morning star ones are totally good too. I dont even like meat anymore. The smell sickens me.
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    2852662944_29e5398a30.jpg
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    It's seems weird to me to eat something that resembles the food I chose to give up. I'll stick with whole foods instead of super processed foods.
    I saw always opt for the REAL deal vs something fake. Why not make your own veggie burger. I think a portabella mushroom is an awesome substitute here. Yummo!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    The idea that you have to go on and on about how superior your way of eating is and then attack the first person who says something about it over "looking for attention" is pretty hilariously ironic.

What?

I'm the fourth person in this thread who has posted about gluten free, not the first. What makes me so super special that I had to singled out by Reddy... no wait, I know the answer to that and it has nothing to do with this thread at all.

Also... I don't think my way of eating is superior. I'm gluten free because I have to be, not because I want to be. I'd dearly love to sink my teeth into a nice crusty roll... and as soon as there is some sort of treatment I'll be right up in line for it. It still won't be Morningstar Farms though, because that stuff tastes nasty to me. It IS nasty... it's regularly been singled out as having insane amounts of sodium, even in comparison to other brands.

Anyway, last time I ate a wheat gluten/soy based meat substitute, it landed me at the doctor after three straight weeks of diarrhea. (hey, its TMI... but it's a thread about processed food after all) I never did that again...

The question of the OP is why not Morningstar Farms... I answered her. Simple as that! If someone doesn't like me expressing my opinion over the OP's question, they can feel free to ignore my posts. There are gluten free meat substitutes at places like Whole Foods, and they cost an arm and a leg. As I don't have that kind of money to spend on a regular basis... I do something radical, like COOK! :P

What's wrong with cookin? It's processing too... but processing you have control over. :)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Attacking people over their choices to be vegetarian seems to me a whole lot rude. I have no issues with people's eating choices that differ from my own. I'm not vegetarian but I respect other people's choices to follow it, and at parties I have always made sure there were options for them, because I know how it feels for myself needing options...

But as far as the charge of martyrdom goes when a large portion of this thread has been people talking about various conditions they have as to why they don't like the product particularly under discussion, I found it fairly ridiculous so I made fun of it... sue me :P

Others said practically the same stuff as me in this thread.

jbonow1231 :
    I can't eat most meat substitute products because I'm gluten free and have an MSG sensitivity.

AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT has a high level of MSG, its what makes the brain think that this product has a "meaty" taste.

So - that's a no go for me. Also the soy sauce contains wheat. A lot of other brands use barley malt, which is also a no-go for the gluten free. The main ingredient in Gardein is wheat gluten. So - the main brands available in most grocery stores - Gardein, Morningstar, and Boca are not gluten safe.

That said, there are gluten free vegetarian burger options that are gluten free and soy free. SOL Cuisine makes a really tasty one made out of mushrooms and rice. However, to get products requires a specialty trip to Whole Foods or another "natural food store" where they are often expensive compared to the nutrition and satisfaction gained from them. So - for meat once or twice a week, is a more feasible and budget friendly option than paying to kind-of enjoy a $5.99 box of gluten-free veggie burgers.

That said, last time I was at Whole Foods, I had a portabello mushroom burger with cheese and pineapple on it, and it was the delish.
    syntonicgarden: When they make a product that's not made of wheat gluten and doesn't make me ill, I'll consider it. If they had a non-GMO option that was wheat-free, that'd be cool too.

No painful wheat burgers for me, thanks.

That_Girl
    I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat the stuff they use to make veggie burgers.

Vegetarianism should be clean, not pumped with chemicals. Oh of course once in a while it's ok...but daily? omg.

As a gluten free veg-head myself, I make things from scratch or close there to. I make burgers from black beans and rice and other such things...it's not difficult.

We're just a bunch of martyrs, lol.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Except for the causal link between dietary cholesterol raising serum cholesterol. And elevated serum cholesterol causing atherosclerosis. So yeah, if you are happy with having a little atherosclerosis, eat cholesterol. If you don't want the condition/disease, eliminate it from your diet. Everyone has the choice.

But don't argue that consuming animal products doesn't contribute towards atherosclerosis, because you're deluding yourself.
    If eliminating all cholesterol from your diet would ensure not having the condition/disease, that would be one thing. But, alas, it can still come about even if you don't eat cholesterol. You can, perhaps, lower your risk... but new research is suggesting that causal link between consuming dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol is not as dire as originally thought. I don't know whether the old research or the new research is more correct, but I'm pretty sure that you don't either. Choosing to eat less or no meat to be on the safe side is cool, and I get that, but your post came across as being well beyond the safe side, on over into the radical area.

You better look at www.heartattackproof.com. Caldwell Esselstyn, who was head of cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic (where heart bypass surgery was invented) and a former surgeon, presents "irrefutable evidence that all CHD can be prevented", or words to that effect. I'm not claiming that you can completely avoid heart disease. Caldwell Esselstyn is. I'm just an idiot wasting some time on a pathetic forum. Dr Esselstyn is the expert with the expert opinion.

First of all look at whether your one person that your basing this on is infependabt. I'm assuming you watched Fork over Knives being this man featured heavily in it.

Tests in the fifties initially showed an association between early death by heart disease and fat deposits and lesions along artery walls. Because cholesterol was found to be present in those deposits (of course it would!) and because researchers had previously associated familial hypercholesterolaemia (hereditary high blood cholesterol) with heart disease, they concluded that cholesterol must be the culprit. In fact, what happens is that in response to an inflammatory situation, the body uses cholesterol as a “band-aid” to temporarily cover any lesions in the arterial wall. In the event the inflammation is resolved, the band-aid goes away and repair takes place. No harm, no foul. Unfortunately, in most cases, the inflammation proceeds, the cholesterol plaque is eventually acted on by macrophages and is oxidized to a point at which it takes up more space in the artery, slows arterial flow and eventually can break loose to form a clot. And all this time the cholesterol was just trying to be the good guy! Blaming cholesterol for all this is like blaming a cut finger on all the band-aids you have lying around your house.

The Framingham Heart Study is a long-term, ongoing cardiovascular study on residents of the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. The study began in 1948 with 5,209 adult subjects from Framingham, and is now on its third generation of participants. Prior to it almost nothing was known about the "epidemiology of hypertensive or arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease"

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl?index=423274&query=Cholesterol&search=Go. This will link you to the findings of the study so far.

Now go and look at www.thincs.org too because you obviously didnt look at that either. Don't take something you see in a film before you question it. Have you noticed how the low fat diet suggestion actually has seen an increase in heart disease? Did you know that over 55% of people that heart attacks actually have normal cholesterol levels?

Further reading:

Nutrition and physical degeneration
    Weston A Price

Good calories, Bad Calories
    Gary Taubes

Fat politics J Eric Oliver
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Attacking people over their choices to be vegetarian seems to me a whole lot rude. I have no issues with people's eating choices that differ from my own. I'm not vegetarian but I respect other people's choices to follow it, and at parties I have always made sure there were options for them, because I know how it feels for myself needing options...

But as far as the charge of martyrdom goes when a large portion of this thread has been people talking about various conditions they have as to why they don't like the product particularly under discussion, I found it fairly ridiculous so I made fun of it... sue me :P

Others said practically the same stuff as me in this thread.

jbonow1231 :
    I can't eat most meat substitute products because I'm gluten free and have an MSG sensitivity.

AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT has a high level of MSG, its what makes the brain think that this product has a "meaty" taste.

So - that's a no go for me. Also the soy sauce contains wheat. A lot of other brands use barley malt, which is also a no-go for the gluten free. The main ingredient in Gardein is wheat gluten. So - the main brands available in most grocery stores - Gardein, Morningstar, and Boca are not gluten safe.

That said, there are gluten free vegetarian burger options that are gluten free and soy free. SOL Cuisine makes a really tasty one made out of mushrooms and rice. However, to get products requires a specialty trip to Whole Foods or another "natural food store" where they are often expensive compared to the nutrition and satisfaction gained from them. So - for meat once or twice a week, is a more feasible and budget friendly option than paying to kind-of enjoy a $5.99 box of gluten-free veggie burgers.

That said, last time I was at Whole Foods, I had a portabello mushroom burger with cheese and pineapple on it, and it was the delish.
    syntonicgarden: When they make a product that's not made of wheat gluten and doesn't make me ill, I'll consider it. If they had a non-GMO option that was wheat-free, that'd be cool too.

No painful wheat burgers for me, thanks.

That_Girl
    I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat the stuff they use to make veggie burgers.

Vegetarianism should be clean, not pumped with chemicals. Oh of course once in a while it's ok...but daily? omg.

As a gluten free veg-head myself, I make things from scratch or close there to. I make burgers from black beans and rice and other such things...it's not difficult.

We're just a bunch of martyrs, lol.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

You hadn't read through the whole thread when you posted and you know it. Otherwise THIS response would have been immediate and not an hour + after the fact. Similarly, I didn't read the whole thread, and your post was the first I read that got angry at the OP because of your own personal situation - even though it has nothing to do with the intention of the original post. We get it, you can't eat processed veggie burgers. But I'm pretty sure the concensus here is that they're not better than meat anyway, so I'm not really sure why your getting worked up in the first place...
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take it that most of you guys are stateside( apologies if I'm wrong but didn't actually read all of the posts here) here in the jolly old U.K. we have stuff called Quorn (which the search engine reads as Quern!) which is basically mushroom protein (Mycoprotein) we get sausages (YUMMY) bacon (O.K. I guess) Burgers (YUMMY) etc etc.
    Still in the midst of the 'horsemeat scandal'(horsemeat being put into lower end burgers,pies and ready meals here in the U.K and Ireland) I have preferred for some time to try and avoid meat completely. Healthier or not, I guess the answer to that one is I'm just not sure but never having the inclination to visit and abbatoir (it would give me nightmares for the REST of my life) I just figure if I can't bear to watch stuff being killed so I can eat it then I have absolutely NO right to eat it in the first place.
    I have no argument against carnivores (I'm married to one) i just know healthy choice or not it's not for me.
    H
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Because I raise my own pastured chickens and I eat them. I raise heritage breed Dominiques. They are naturally breeding, and I'm always going to have excess roosters. Always. I only need one rooster for every five to six hens to have maximum fertility. It's not really possible to rehome boys. Everyone wants girls for the eggs, but no one wants a bunch of roosters around that are going to fight. I kill them myself as humanely as possible. I know what they've had to eat their entire lives, I know where they've lived. I take responsibility for feeding myself and my family, and I feel good knowing that our food is clean. When we eat other meat, I buy from local farmers that I know and I approve of their standards.

I am always baffled by the phrase "humane killing".

I'm always baffled by people that think if they stop eating meat it will stop the inhumane treatment of animals on factory farms instead of actively trying to change it.

I am really confused by this comment.

Is your point that we should just eat meat because it won't put a stop to animal cruelty?

That seems like pretty broken logic...

If your point is that you think no one should be a vegetarian without waging some active war against animal cruelty, you still don't make any sense to me. People do what they can and shouldnt' be expected to give every last ounce they have for what they can do to be considered an effort.

Weirdness.

No, I'm saying put up or shut up. It's that simple. If you use the excuse that you don't eat meat because of the treatment, I think you should follow that up by trying to change it. If you don't eat meat because you don't want to or don't like it or can't, that's fine, just say that.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Because I raise my own pastured chickens and I eat them. I raise heritage breed Dominiques. They are naturally breeding, and I'm always going to have excess roosters. Always. I only need one rooster for every five to six hens to have maximum fertility. It's not really possible to rehome boys. Everyone wants girls for the eggs, but no one wants a bunch of roosters around that are going to fight. I kill them myself as humanely as possible. I know what they've had to eat their entire lives, I know where they've lived. I take responsibility for feeding myself and my family, and I feel good knowing that our food is clean. When we eat other meat, I buy from local farmers that I know and I approve of their standards.

I am always baffled by the phrase "humane killing".

I'm always baffled by people that think if they stop eating meat it will stop the inhumane treatment of animals on factory farms instead of actively trying to change it.

I am really confused by this comment.

Is your point that we should just eat meat because it won't put a stop to animal cruelty?

That seems like pretty broken logic...

If your point is that you think no one should be a vegetarian without waging some active war against animal cruelty, you still don't make any sense to me. People do what they can and shouldnt' be expected to give every last ounce they have for what they can do to be considered an effort.

Weirdness.

No, I'm saying put up or shut up. It's that simple. If you use the excuse that you don't eat meat because of the treatment, I think you should follow that up by trying to change it. If you don't eat meat because you don't want to or don't like it or can't, that's fine, just say that.

Speaking with your wallet is louder than speaking with your voice when it comes to the food industry. They've heard it all, but $ talks.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    I take it that most of you guys are stateside( apologies if I'm wrong but didn't actually read all of the posts here) here in the jolly old U.K. we have stuff called Quorn (which the search engine reads as Quern!) which is basically mushroom protein (Mycoprotein) we get sausages (YUMMY) bacon (O.K. I guess) Burgers (YUMMY) etc etc.
    Still in the midst of the 'horsemeat scandal'(horsemeat being put into lower end burgers,pies and ready meals here in the U.K and Ireland) I have preferred for some time to try and avoid meat completely. Healthier or not, I guess the answer to that one is I'm just not sure but never having the inclination to visit and abbatoir (it would give me nightmares for the REST of my life) I just figure if I can't bear to watch stuff being killed so I can eat it then I have absolutely NO right to eat it in the first place.
    I have no argument against carnivores (I'm married to one) i just know healthy choice or not it's not for me.
    H

In fairness Quorn have really cleaned up their food products. I'm in the UK and I order all my meat from www.greenpasturesfarm.co.uk
  • jcartwright2008
    Options
    Funny, every statistic I've seen has shown meat consumption in the US is rising, not falling.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    Funny, every statistic I've seen has shown meat consumption in the US is rising, not falling.

As is carbohydrate and sugar consumption whilst fat intake levels drop yet we have far more obesity and heart disease!
  • jcartwright2008
    Options
    I've seen that beef consumption is going down but poultry is rising. Those birds are treated no better than the cattle.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    I've seen that beef consumption is going down but poultry is rising. Those birds are treated no better than the cattle.

That's it thou, it's the treatment of the animal right? So that's why you have to source the meat from the right place. Chickens I but roam freely and forage for their own diet.

Also....beef consumption is going down....obesity and heart disease going up.
  • jcartwright2008
    Options
    I also raise chickens free range. We hunt and eat venision instead of beef. If we do buy beef it's straight from a friend's farm.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    I also raise chickens free range. We hunt and eat venision instead of beef. If we do buy beef it's straight from a friend's farm.

That's great :) I love that it's so much easier to source good meat with high welfare standards now. ????
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    a) not available where i live
    b) expensive and we already shell out quite a chunk for fruit every week
    c) i LIKE meat
    d) i live with another person who would not be as amenable to veggie burgers/nuggets as i am
    e) I LIKE MEAT

and i love hearing of others raising their own poultry! my parents raise chickens and ducks for eggs and meat (mostly eggs) and they are completely and totally free-range (well... they sleep in a coop at night but only because of insane predators in their area and in the winter it's just too cold for them to be out all night). my fiance and i are all for sustainability, higher animal welfare standards and raising our own. i can't wait to move to a place where we can have our chickens, ducks, and possibly a goat or two.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan a few days each week (vegan because I can't eat eggs or dairy for digestive reasons) and the rest of the time I eat fish or birds - no red meat or pork. On the nights I go meatless, why would I replace the meat with a meat substitute? I don't like faux food. There are enough yummy non-meat things to eat without adding a bunch of wierd stuff to my plate. If I wanted to eat meat I would eat it. I don't want fake meat. On meatless days I enjoy whole grains, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. And I cook those healthy foods from scratch into delicious meals. No need for factory meals here. :drinker:
    I mostly eat chemical-filled factory foods to avoid becoming this smug.

and how's that working out for you?
    Pretty well! My lack of smugness is pretty awesome, and makes me way better than other peop...

Aww, man. :(

Nicely played. :wink: