dont eat meat ever again!

Options
When I say I am vegetarian why does the other person assume that I just asked them to not eat meat? I don't understand that. Or why they need to bring up how much they "love"bacon or say "mmmm burgers" as if I cannot have them? I can, I can have vegetarian ones or I can go get one made out of meat. I choose not to eat animals, its not that I can't. So I would like some insight from non-vegetarians, is this your reaction or what do you say to someone you meet and they say they are vegetarian? If that is your reaction, why? Is it threatening that someone doesn't eat animals? Or do you take ot as an opportunity to joke? Or what if your reaction is different?

Also, vegetarians what reactions do you get? How do you respond? Also have you had any flack about ordering vegetarian at a resteraunt?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ughggghh this is gonna explode.

(but that was probably the intention...)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I eat a TON of vegetables. And I love making new recipes with loaded vegetables. People at work have commented "Are you becoming a vegetarian or something?". I get so offended! I don't know why. I'm not becoming a vegetarian, I just like getting the biggest bang for my buck by eating nutritious veggies.

I don't know why it feels offensive. I feel God gave us those animals to eat, I can't disobey Him :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've never done that. I'm quite happy if someone wants to not eat the cute animals. Wish I could do the same but I can't.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I am a carnivore. I have vegetarian friends that are very healthy and in shape including Sarauk2sf, and MoreBean13 here on this site. It's up to the individual what they choose and why as long as thier overall nutrition is balanced and healthy.

I would also say, this goes both ways. Sometimes vegetarians post is ways that are very judgemental toward carnivores. Inappropriate either way.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I personally feel each to their own. If you like how you eat that is great, I like how I eat that is great. I don't get offended when someone tells me that they are vegetarian until they start to preach to me how my choices are the wrong ones and should watch such and such documentary on the benefits of their choices and if I would just watch such and such I would totally change my views and eating styles. I follow a primal lifestyle and it works for me and helps me with my crohn's disease. My sister follows more of a plant based diet and she feels that it works for her and her life better. We don't preach to other on how one way is better then the other and we still get along fine.
  • danagornall
    Options
    I've been vegan for about three months now. I haven't had too much of a negative reaction although I also haven't talked about it with many people. My ex-husband was pretty negative about healthy eating and that was frustrating. Mostly I try to be positive with the people I do talk to. I point out videos like "Forks Over Knives" and "Fat Sick and Nearly dead." to the people who ask me about it. Have you checked out the website Happy Herbivore? They have a great Facebook page with lots of supportive people on there! Good luck and keep smiling! :-)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch of the imagaination. And I don't care if others are vegetarians, as long as its not pushed on me. If someone is telling me their way is better, thats when I'm annoyed. I don't tell vegetarians that they should be eating meat, don't tell me that I should stop, or try to gross me out by telling me whats in my meat. (Not directed at you OP, just a general "You")
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it. My husband gets seriously offended by vegetarians, and I just can't understand it.

Myself, I think "good for you!" Its YOUR body, YOUR choice how to feed it! What difference does it make in my life you don't eat meat? I'd probably start pestering you for ideas on how to get more protein, lol. Maybe its because I have a self-controlled diet as well? I'm gluten free, and I get super tired of the "how do you get enough fiber?!? How to you EAT?!? OH, I could NEVER do that! I just love x, y, and z too much!" It gets really aggravating. The ignorance is enough to make you wonder sometimes...
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm always interested in why people choose to be vegetarian (there are many good reasons), so if someone volunteers that they're vegetarian I may ask why. My colleagues in India at my last job included many vegetarians for religious reasons. What I liked was the peaceful coexistence. We'd order family-style at a restaurant and while people would pass a dish and tell you whether it was "veg" or "non-veg", no one criticized the others' choices. There was no, "Euw, are you giong to eat that poor dead animal that was mercilessly slaughtered?" or "Mmmm, goat curry."
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way...

A lot of veggies however seem to tell everyone like its a badge of honour?

I don't think I've ever declared to people before what I eat when I first meet them, veggies seem however to have to tell people even if food isn't involved!

:laugh:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This whole post just made me want a steak.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    The only person who jokes around about my meatless diet is my husband.. No one else seems concerned. Sometimes people ask me questions but only out of curiosity .
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What other people eat is none of my business.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    idk i have the same problem though. I've been a vegetarian for about a year now and I have friends and family members who refuse to eat meat around me. I have no idea why. It kinda makes me mad.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What other people eat is none of my business.

This. I don't eat meat, but I don't care if others do. I'm not on a crusade. I just made that choice for myself.

People joke around and tell me to eat a steak, once in a while, but it doesn't offend me. I get why people eat meat. It's ****ing delicious.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Some people are afraid/uncomfortable/infuriated by anything or anyone who is different from them, and the knee-jerk reaction is to insult/preach/kill-it-with-sticks. It's not specific to dietary habits. It happens in pretty much every area of life. It's just the way humanity is.

tumblr_mj538jH9Iu1r4y896o1_500.jpg
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The responses I've gotten – both online and in person – have run the gamut. What other people do or think is their issue, what I do or think is mine. How other people respond to my life choices is really none of my bee's wax. I just keep my eyes on my own paper.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't care.

I was raised vegetarian.You think you have it rough? Try being a vegetarian kid in the 70's when only a handful of hippies and weirdos didn't eat meat. I can't count how many ketchup and mustard sandwiches I ate at cookouts as a kid. I've been non-vegetarian my whole adult life, because I like the variety that being an omnivore gives me. But I've always had friends who were either vegetarian or who just didn't like to eat meat that often. I often go a few days without meat without thinking about it. Whether someone is a vegetarian doesn' t phase me either way.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My mom used to get so offended that my family is vegetarian.

As if it criticised her way of life. I never said anything about meat to her.

I realized that was her issue, not mine and in her own time, she saw that she was being silly about it.

Some people choose to drink, I don't. I choose to smoke, others don't. I don't eat meat, others do. Who cares. I don't judge those who eat meat. It's their body and choice. But here in CA, many people are veg-heads so it's not so shocking.
  • lizibame
    lizibame Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The only time I care is if i'm having someone over for dinner. If you don't eat Pork I'm going to fix chicken. If you don't eat Meat then I'll go meatless but I'm also not going to fix some ridiculous fake version of meat (tofurkey or fakon etc), I will fix a beautiful presentable Ratatouille that looks like it came out of a disney movie.