dont eat meat ever again!

Options

Replies

• clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have friends who are vegetarian, and it doesn't bother me (and they aren't bothered by my being an omnivore). The only comments I'll make are occasionally asking them for menu or recipe suggestions the times I've given up meat for Lent, and they're generally quite obliging.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't understand why vegetarians have to declare they are vegetarians.

If someone offers you something, can't you just say "no." If you are out to dinner, can't you just say "I don't like meat". Why do you have to put a label on yourself and make it a big deal?

Just simply say "no." It's a lot easier. When I don't want chocolate at work, I say "no.", I don't say "I'm on a diet", "I'm counting my calories", "I'm overweight" etc.

By simply saying, "no thanks, I'm a vegetarian" we can easily avoid any future uncomfortable situations. I don't point out that I am vegetarian when I am eating with others unless I feel it's necessary, i.e. need a restaurant to prepare a veg meal for me or don't want to appear ungracious to my host/hostess.
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater.

I have an enormous amount of respect for the vegetarians that eat that way for ethical reasons.

I'm kind of torn over this.

I went veggie in 2011 and made it through for 6 months.
    It was hell, I felt weak and hungry a lot of the time and my diet consisted of mainly cheese sandwiches.
    This my own fault though - I didn't educate myself properly on what to eat to replace the protein missing from my diet and I could have tried a lot harder. I want back to eating meat in the end as I found being a veggie too hard.

I am still eating meat but I carry a guilt over it.

I do think it's OK for humans to eat animals but my problem lies with how animals are treated by humans.
    Like, chickens being kept in tiny cages and horrific conditions, things like that. I know you can buy free range etc but the reality is most people can't afford to do that so they buy the cheapest meats they can in order to feed their family.
    No one ever stops to think - why is this meat so cheap? Oh yeah, it's because the animal was fed cr*p and not kept in very nice conditions, it cost hardly anything to raise this animal before it was slaughtered so therefore the meat people can still make a profit when when selling a whole chicken for 4 pound sterling in Asda.

If we hunted animals like animals hunted each other and only ate to survive, I would be fine with it.
    But it breaks my heart when I see meat on the reduced to clear shelf in supermarkets, knowing an animal lost its life for no reason, it will just get thrown away.

I hope to go veggie again in thenear future but I will do it in a much more sensible way this time, so it can be sustainable for me. I need to experiment with some new foods, ie tofu and lentils, pulses etc so I am getting nutrients I need.
    The ultimate goal would be to go Vegan, but one step at a time :smile:

Exactly this - this topic is so overdone though!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I promise not to rub meat in your face... If and only when you get off your damn high horse about being a vegetarian.

meh. they're taking a stand (however small and personal) against the horrific treatment of animals in the industry, the destruction of our environment, and they're making an arguably better choice for their health (debatable, there's research that supports it)

why shouldn't they be proud of it?
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    My old roomie/best person ever was and is a vegetarian. I loved cooking for her and checking packages to make sure she could have it. The same with my vegetarian cousin. When she would visit everyone would "forget" and I would have to make something for her to eat. I would get so mad when they were mean and told her to just eat meat and taunt her. I never understood it. It's not like them eating veggies made me feel guilty for eating meat. If I was eating with a vegetarian who was uncomfortable with what I was eating and they tried to guilt me into not eating meat, I really wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they help me try new things. :]
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yesterday there was a thread where someone was asking why meat eaters don't just substitute morning star products for their meat. That sort of thing doesn't go over well.

I have no problem with vegetarians. I have a problem with anyone who gets evangelical about their food choices, whether they be vegetarian, Paleo, clean eaters, whatever.

^^^THIS!

Also, some people (myself included) cannot go vegetarian for health reasons. I've been told by MULTIPLE doctors now (and confirmed through tests) that I have issues taking in non-animal proteins, so monthly cheeseburgers for me!

I have a friend who went vegetarian after she hit a deer with her car (she was traumatized over it). She stayed vegetarian for 15 years and just last year her doctor told her that her thyroid was messed up and she needed other sources of protein besides beans and nuts. She also has to limit her fruit intake because of the sugar.

Personally, when I hear vegetarian I think of granolas...you know those people who always have to have a "cause" to speak out about, drive a hybrid or bicycle, have a tendency to look down at others who are leaving a bigger footprint than them...tend to dress like Rastafarian's or yuppy-ish. Guys with the jeans rolled to just above the ankle with flip flops, some sort of fedora and those thick framed glasses...that's just what immediately pops into my head.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I promise not to rub meat in your face... If and only when you get off your damn high horse about being a vegetarian.

meh. they're taking a stand (however small and personal) against the horrific treatment of animals in the industry, the destruction of our environment, and they're making an arguably better choice for their health (debatable, there's research that supports it)

And this is why some of them get on my wick. I try to only eat "happy" meat - not always easy as I'm on a very tight budget. But I don't go on about unless someone askes.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Ever since I learned that carrots scream when picked, I cannot eat a carrot until someone invents a humane way of killing them. I am a meatarian because I don't want to see the poor little vegetables cruelly treated.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Divisive topic is divisive. Eat whatever you like, and let other people eat whatever they like, for whatever reason they like.

/end

Nothing to see here, move along. *yawn*
  • CoachReddy
    Options

And this is why some of them get on my wick. I try to only eat "happy" meat - not always easy as I'm on a very tight budget. But I don't go on about unless someone askes.

right obviously there's a fine line and a balance, but I don't think just because people are veggie for ethical reasons automatically puts them on a "high horse" - they're just being ethically and environmentally conscious.

if you don't care about it... well... that's fine... but it doesn't mean others shouldn't.
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a vegetarian, but I very rarely eat meat (once every few weeks or so). If I'm put into a situation where meat is really my only option then I will eat it, but otherwise I choose non-meat food.

I was out to dinner for one of my friend's birthday about two weeks ago with a group of her friends I didn't really know. We went to a Mexican place and I ordered the vegetarian fajitas. The guy next to me (who I had never met, or even spoken to) said, "Are you a vegetarian?" I replied with, "No, not really. I just prefer veggies." He came back with, "Ok, good, I f***ing hate vegetarians!" I seriously could not believe that someone would say that to essentially a complete stranger.

Who cares what people eat. It's rude people that are the problem.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ever since I learned that carrots scream when picked, I cannot eat a carrot until someone invents a humane way of killing them. I am a meatarian because I don't want to see the poor little vegetables cruelly treated.

Oh do go away.
    To be ignorant to animal cruelty is one thing, some people genuinely don't know how badly animals can be treated.
    To take the p*** is another.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I have to say this..

I live where cattle are raised.. I pass pastures full of cattle every day. I see them grazing contentedly.. I see calves cavorting and playing.. I don't see how this is abuse or mistreatment..
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem. I do not think you are wrong and bad for wanting to eat nothing but veggies. You however do believe you are somehow better and more evolved than those of us who eat meat. (don't deny it) You are no better than the religious zealots that run around telling people they will go to hell if they don't believe exactly what the preacher says. You are wrong. You bought into a fad and you are wasting your time and mine by trying to convince any of us otherwise.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I live where cattle are raised.. I pass pastures full of cattle every day. I see them grazing contentedly.. I see calves cavorting and playing.. I don't see how this is abuse or mistreatment..

those are either free range farms or they're farms that haven't shipped the cattle off to the feedlot yet to be processed.

do some research on factory farms in America and the volume of meat that comes from them vs. free range farms. Also, look into the processing practices. Or just watch Forks Over Knives or Vegucated.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem. I do not think you are wrong and bad for wanting to eat nothing but veggies. You however do believe you are somehow better and more evolved than those of us who eat meat. (don't deny it) You are no better than the religious zealots that run around telling people they will go to hell if they don't believe exactly what the preacher says. You are wrong. You bought into a fad and you are wasting your time and mine by trying to convince any of us otherwise.

Wow... you are making an awfully broad assumption about a vast group of people you don't know then pushing your personal agenda on them. That's dangerous ground regardless of the issue.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    To answer all of your questions in a simple phrase. Probably the same reasons that some veggies say, i can't believe u eat meat.

Ignorant and defensive attitudes. To each his/her own.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Ironic much?

also religious zealots don't base their decisions on real-world facts and science but on faith. there's no comparison.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Oh do go away.
    To be ignorant to animal cruelty is one thing, some people genuinely don't know how badly animals can be treated.
    To take the p*** is another.

Wow, someone needs a sense of humour stat. :noway:
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options

True, I live in Ireland and there are cattle everywhere and they look to have lovely lives.
    However they are the lucky ones. Not all animals are raised this way.
    I also see farms where chickens are running around, pecking away at the corn and happy.
    We don't get to see the ones in cages though, they are hidden away :cry: