dont eat meat ever again!

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    look more closely - it's at about 125g right around the 1937 mark

And 1937 is 50 years ago? Guess your maths is as bad as your nutrition stats.

Lol! Arguments unencumbered by facts! :drinker:
  • psychedelicfrenzy
    psychedelicfrenzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It pretty much helps that I'm a lesbian and a vegetarian (mostly vegan...lactose intolerant, woo~~) because I just say "I don't like any kind kind of meat." and be telling the truth. It's amusing seeing people's reactions.

Though, when non-vegetarians try to "mock" me by saying stuff like "how can you not like----?" or eating a burger or something and being all "mmmm..." , it does get annoying. It's like... They think I actually want it. When, in reality, meat in general makes me feel sick to my stomach, even the scent. It makes me cringe just thinking about it...ugh..

But it's whatever. They like what they like, and I like what I like; that's their prerogative.
  • psychedelicfrenzy
    psychedelicfrenzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem. I do not think you are wrong and bad for wanting to eat nothing but veggies. You however do believe you are somehow better and more evolved than those of us who eat meat. (don't deny it) You are no better than the religious zealots that run around telling people they will go to hell if they don't believe exactly what the preacher says. You are wrong. You bought into a fad and you are wasting your time and mine by trying to convince any of us otherwise.

Ironic much?

also religious zealots don't base their decisions on real-world facts and science but on faith. there's no comparison.

Your science is junk and your faith in it is no different from the faith of the religious zealot. The meat eating crowed has millions of years of human survival and thriving to back its claims. You have 50 years of conflicting science. I would say you have the unfounded faith.

i eat meat.

hahahahahhahahahahahaahhah
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    look more closely - it's at about 125g right around the 1937 mark

And 1937 is 50 years ago? Guess your maths is as bad as your nutrition stats.

Who said Americans are the obnoxious ones? Read the thread. It's already been addressed.

Yep the usual ad hominem attack, you don't surprise me. If you find what I said obnoxious, you don't know obnoxious. I did read the thread, you tried to weasel out of it. No way did it drop to 125g, the figure you need to try and prove your statement, look at the graph again. And try to understand 1937 is not significant statistically,there was a recession in 1937/38 in the US, part of the great Depression, possibly that had something or a lot to do with the temporary fall? Read some Steinbeck. Follow the trend from 1909 and then tell me it rose 100% in the last 50 years. You seem to have an agenda beyond the debate as someone else identified, but I and others are not falling for it. Lie to try and prove your point and you will be found out. And you have been rumbled my friend!

My only agenda is that I think factory farming is a really big problem in america and we'd all be better off if we ate less of it. If you'd bothered to read the link I posted you may actually agree with me.

a 20 year difference means I'm lying to prove a point? Fine, meat consumption has risen by 75% in the last 50 years. 100% in the last 70 years. Now can we talk about the actual issue instead of arguing semantics?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It pretty much helps that I'm a lesbian and a vegetarian (mostly vegan...lactose intolerant, woo~~) because I just say "I don't like any kind kind of meat." and be telling the truth. It's amusing seeing people's reactions.

you're awesome
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    This thread is about veggie / meat eaters and attitudes /reactions - not for you to get on your soapbox about farming methods in the USA.

Please start a new thread for that debate.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 30 years and don't push it on people, it's just no fun having an argument over dinner. (I don't cook meat but share a house with someone who does, using the same pans etc. Doesn't bother me.) But people - including members of my own family who used to be veggie but gave it up - seem to have a real issue and make a massive point of saying something every time we eat together. It gets seriously tiresome.

I do lapse from being veggie sometimes - having anaemia from non-diet related reasons I got frustrated and ate steak a few times, which made no difference whatsover to my health. I quite like the taste of meat but don't want to eat it. My little lapses mean I couldn't 't really criticise others anyway, but I would quite like people to stop behaving as if my life choices are an implicit criticism of theirs and just have a nice peaceful meal.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with people that eat meat or people that don`t...just saying?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This thread is about veggie / meat eaters and attitudes /reactions - not for you to get on your soapbox about farming methods in the USA.

Please start a new thread for that debate.

fair.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    i eat meat. I iike it. :)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Without wanting to be confrontational isn`t this topic `divisive` like the Christian/atheist whole thing yesterday?

yep, certainly a subject bordering on religion. The evangelist zeal of the vegetarian or the carnivore. I have no problem with either either, other than I find it limiting to define oneself in such a limiting way as vegetarians tend to do, but that's only IMHO. What I dislike is hidden agendas and lies.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    <<eats ALL the meat. And an occasional vegetable. I don't want to hear about how you eat unless i am cooking for you, so i can make something you will like and therefore eat.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I believe that vegetarianism and veganism are different expressions of the same eating disorder. You're a human being, eat meat.

You're a human being, be compassionate.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Without wanting to be confrontational isn`t this topic `divisive` like the Christian/atheist whole thing yesterday?

yep, certainly a subject bordering on religion. The evangelist zeal of the vegetarian or the carnivore. I have no problem with either either, other than I find it limiting to define oneself in such a limiting way as vegetarians tend to do, but that's only IMHO. What I dislike is hidden agendas and lies.

what, pray tell, is my agenda?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

what, pray tell, is my agenda?

The smart money is on attention seeking.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    My only agenda is that I think factory farming is a really big problem in america and we'd all be better off if we ate less of it. If you'd bothered to read the link I posted you may actually agree with me.

a 20 year difference means I'm lying to prove a point? Fine, meat consumption has risen by 75% in the last 50 years. 100% in the last 70 years. Now can we talk about the actual issue instead of arguing semantics?

Now you're being disingenuous. Factory farming may or may not be a problem, there is nothing intrinsically wrong or cruel in 'factory farming', it can be done without cruelty. Eating less of it is not necessarily a solution, just what you'd like to see. And you're still fiddling the stats. A dip in meat consumption due to the great Depression proves nothing, you are then trying to compare differing situations, I can't believe you don't understand this, but maybe you don't understand how statistics work.

Now can we consider the factors which might explain why meat consumption has risen over the last century? Almost certainly this is due to increasing wealth and improving standard of living of the majority of the population as meat eating is seen as higher status than basic cereal or vegetable based foodstuffs. I have seen this first hand in Africa where poor people live on a basic diet of corn meal, any meat, fish or the like being considered 'relish', something to give flavour. When these same people become better off, they move to a more protein based diet with meat becoming a more important and a bigger part of their nutrition Vegetarianism, incidentally, is only possible in an affluent populace, or where the entire infrastructure is built around it, such as in certain areas of India and where it is a religious dictat. I could almost guarantee there were very few vegetarians during the war years in Britain when food was rationed.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Now you're being disingenuous. Factory farming may or may not be a problem, there is nothing intrinsically wrong or cruel in 'factory farming', it can be done without cruelty. Eating less of it is not necessarily a solution, just what you'd like to see. And you're still fiddling the stats. A dip in meat consumption due to the great Depression proves nothing, you are then trying to compare differing situations, I can't believe you don't understand this, but maybe you don't understand how statistics work.

Now can we consider the factors which might explain why meat consumption has risen over the last century? Almost certainly this is due to increasing wealth and improving standard of living of the majority of the population as meat eating is seen as higher status than basic cereal or vegetable based foodstuffs. I have seen this first hand in Africa where poor people live on a basic diet of corn meal, any meat, fish or the like being considered 'relish', something to give flavour. When these same people become better off, they move to a more protein based diet with meat becoming a more important and a bigger part of their nutrition Vegetarianism, incidentally, is only possible in an affluent populace, or where the entire infrastructure is built around it, such as in certain areas of India and where it is a religious dictat. I could almost guarantee there were very few vegetarians during the war years in Britain when food was rationed.

I agree with much of what you said :) funnily enough I was discussing food rationing with my 95 year old grannie and she was telling me about the meat/dairy/fat allowances etc 2oz of butter a week, no full meat joints unless you were in a large family. They would make pastry using mash potato to reduce the fat in it so to save their fats for bread etc...many of the recipes on the radio would be vegetable based because there was more available. But no.....I can't imagine anyone turned any foods down during that time. It was about survival. If you were in the services you were fed much better. She also said lemons oranges and bananas completely disappeared and the first thing she did when she went to Cairo was go to buy bananas lol.

http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv79/vv79war.html

Although not readily known, vegetarians and those who didn't eat dairy foods or eggs had to register with their local Food Office in order to be issued with a special ration book. So whenever they went to collect their rations, they were given more eggs, cheese and nuts, instead of meat.

Anyway...off subject (and im very much a meat eater ;) but thought you'd be interested :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'd written a response yesterday full with statistics and everything but the thread got locked. why'd it have to get unlocked? lol

if you're interested I'll rewrite it, but I assume none of us care anymore. i'm not going to change your mind no matter how many facts I post, and you're not going to change mine. good luck with your endeavors. :)
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think we should stop eating factory farmed meat and choose to eat grassfed free range organic meat. This is no more expensive if you source it right. I don't believe becoming vegetarian solves the problem at all.