Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    with so much time on your hands, You could also do a search and find lots and lots of success stories of people eating 1200 cals and losing heaps of weight.

No thanks, we'd rather eat and be healthy.

Well, I'd rather eat anyways :D
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    with so much time on your hands, You could also do a search and find lots and lots of success stories of people eating 1200 cals and losing heaps of weight.

Show me some. The majority of success stories threads seem to indicate otherwise. I want to see who is thriving on 1200 calories. Not merely "losing weight".
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    They're much harder to find.
  • Blonde_Vixen
    Options
    I can do 1200 for my breakfast.

:laugh:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Those are not examples. They are people that are struggling with their diet for various reasons other than being below a magical caloric number.

Most people don't know how, or understand how to count calories and set macro-nutrient goals.

There are plenty of examples of people successful eating at a steep caloric deficit and losing heaps of fat and getting cut and shredded.

Diet/heath/fitness t is a **** load more complicated than some magical caloric number.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight by working out too much and eating too little - and gained it all back and found it so much harder this time around to get the weight off. I even had a trainer tell me that I was losing it to fast and I would gain it back but I didn't believe her at the time. Oh and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't building any muscle...

Keep it healthy- eat TDEE - 20%. I always respond to people - if you could eat more and STILL lose weight, wouldn't you want to??
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    i'm eating 1000 calories today ! but that is unusual. I am usually around 2.1k, fasting a bit today.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Mods: Please sticky. Thanks.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Those are not examples. They are people that are struggling with their diet for various reasons other than being below a magical caloric number.

Most people don't know how, or understand how to count calories and set macro-nutrient goals.

There are plenty of examples of people successful eating at a steep caloric deficit and losing heaps of fat and getting cut and shredded.

Diet/heath/fitness t is a **** load more complicated than some magical caloric number.

It's actually quite simple. It's just not easy since it does take some dedication and discipline. However, playing the numbers game with calories and exercise isn't difficult considering most of your diet is coming from nutritious foods.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had the flu for a week and still managed at least 1700 calories a day nom nom nom
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories a day since I started MFP in August and I lost the first 25 pounds very fast, that being said I have been stuck between 150-155 for a month and a half now WITH more exercise and better choices of food. I am positive I am eating too little and plan on going up to 1600- 1800 calories (slowly) even though the thought of eating MORE to lose weight scares the hell out of me.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I want to see who is thriving on 1200 calories. Not merely "losing weight".

Me too.

Great thread, Taso.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This post is made of win.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Amen! ????????
  • jenn012112
    Options
    if MFP is telling me to eat 1200/day should i up it? i want to gain muscle and lose fat... and dont want to end up stuck at my normal 124 lbs!

You'll have an extraordinarily difficult time to gain anything eating 1200 calories, unless you previous ate less than that chronically.

Muscle is gained with a calorie surplus, not deficit, except beginner gains.

MFP sets nearly everyone at 1200 calories which is below 99% of the population's BMR.

You should definitely eat more if you want to gain muscle.

your muscles will strengthen which in turn will help you burn fat more to maintain them. It's bull that you need something like 2200 calories to lose fat while gaining muscle unless you want to body build, which we have alot of those people on here for some reason. I haven't been on a surplus, except for maybe 1 or 2 days a week going a bit over on calories for a month and somehow my muscles have firmed up. I guess I"m a witch or something.

Firmed up muscles and getting stronger IS NOT THE SAME THING AS GAINING MUSCLE.

Why do people think that these are synonymous???
    because some people dont know. thats why i posted- to learn, not to get mean answers lol. thanks anyway.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    ry%3D400
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Mods: Please sticky. Thanks.

Seconded. Brilliant post Taso.
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It is so frustrating when the 1200 calorie defenders seem to never have open diaries. I just want to see what their macros are like :/. I appreciate that the petite 1200 calorie woman earlier in the thread did leave her diary open. That was refreshing to see.